Question Need help upgrading from TG6 without going to full frame big rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FedeQ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sorry is this have been covered before, and I couldn't find it, If it was, I hope somebody could point me to it.
I currently have a TG-6, a Backscatter miniflash, two Sola video lights and a Backscatter Wide angle wet lens.
It's a super compact system and I like it for that, but the lack of manual control, real aperture, sensor size, etc is getting on my nerves.
My Christmas wish would be something that's a good step up in quality, bigger sensor with better low light capabilities, good for videos and photo, full manual control, and that works well with wide angle and macro wet lenses. The way I dive right now I don't want to drag around a big rig, nor have a plethora of ports and domes. I want to keep it simple but full manual control. Is there such a system? I own a Olympus OMD 1 mk II and several lenses for over water shooting, but I can go to any system exclusively for underwater if that satisfies those needs. I eyeing the OM Systems OMD 5 for overland use if it helps me to get more compact.
I'll be grateful for any ideas.

Edit: I should add, this is for hobby purposes, but i work professionally with the best cameras (Arri Alexa, etc) so I'm a bit picky on quality. I know I have to strike a balance between portability and quality. I don't pretend to sell my images but I would like to enter contests and make a book of my photos eventually.

I know that, but would it be lighter than a full frame system? Would I be able to use wide angle and macro wet lenses?
Yes and Yes.

Both AOI and Ikelite have surprisingly-compact, and surprisingly-cheap, housings for the mkii. Ikelite is now selling TTL units which work with the housing, as well as vacuum kits.As to ports, it just depends. You can use the Panasonic 8mm fisheye with a 4” dome, very wide of course, but surprising for close work also. I assume you have the 60 macro, which takes a flat port which isn’t too large; my Nauticam port is threaded for wet optics and I assume the Ikelite is also given the popularity of super close-up optics. You’d likely want a second strobe if you use the fisheye, but the results can be great.

having the fisheye and the 60 leaves out a lot of range, of course. A go-to lens for Olympus users is the 12-40 pro. With Nauticam kit, it requires a dome, which as you note is big and heavy. Given the popularity of that lens, Ikelite or AOI may support it; however, the 12-50 “kit” lens gives decent results.

if you’re happy with your Mkii these seem like options worth exploring In addition to the Olympus housing.

I eyeing the OM Systems OMD 5 for overland use if it helps me to get more compact.
I'll be grateful for any ideas.
The OM 5 for above or under water use?

There are no housings for it now afaik and I am not sure if and when they'll come out to market.

I'd Keep the em1 mkii for above water and get an om1 for uw. If that's too much money, check with housing vendors to see if and when they are going to come out with housing for the OM 5.

A go-to lens for Olympus users is the 12-40 pro. With Nauticam kit, it requires a dome,
Do you know if the 12-40 II takes the same Nauticam port and gears as the older version of this lens? (With Nauticam housing of course)

Both AOI and Isotta have housings for the OM-5 I believe, but for the same money the OM-1 will be quite a bit better (and smaller).
Bill

Yes and Yes.
So, how does it work? What lens should I use in the camera, and with which houseing do I use which wet lenses? As you can tell, I know nothing about this.

For macro, you would use the 60 macro lens and any good diopter. For Wide angle, you have many options. The smallest is likely the Kraken, and for that you need something like a 24 mm lens. From there on up you can go to the Nauticam WWL lenses but they are big and heavy. There is also a Kraken 09s that allows you to shoot with a macro lens and still get 155degrees.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom