Please help, medical question!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeeee34

New
Reaction score
I have two dives scheduled for tomorrow, at a depth of 30 feet. Yesterday while playing basketball I might have broken my nose. There was no blood, and there is no swelling and practically no pain, and nothing appears to be too crooked. Although I hope it's not broken and it probably isn't, there is still a possibility that it is. My question is will there be any additional damage to my nose if it is broken while diving, because of pressure, etc.? I don't have time to go get it x-rayed to see if it is broken, so what kind of risks am I running to dive this weekend? Thanks,

I have two dives scheduled for tomorrow, at a depth of 30 feet. Yesterday while playing basketball I might have broken my nose. There was no blood, and there is no swelling and practically no pain, and nothing appears to be too crooked. Although I hope it's not broken and it probably isn't, there is still a possibility that it is. My question is will there be any additional damage to my nose if it is broken while diving, because of pressure, etc.? I don't have time to go get it x-rayed to see if it is broken, so what kind of risks am I running to dive this weekend? Thanks,

Suggest asking in SB's medical forum and/or calling DAN [-]if you're a member.[/-]

To my "non-MD" mind, it seems that as long as there's no sinus involvement and/or nothing impeding your ability to breath and clear... you should be OK. Be attuned to pain upon decent, and don't take chances if you feel anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Diving Medicine

Thanks for your help, I'm sorry I'm new to the site and can't find Diving Medicine under the forums, where exactly is it?

Mike,
I think RJP's mind is just fine and concur with his recommendations. A couple of potential issues:
1. If your mask is compressed against your nose, it may cause pain and additional damage.
2. If your nose was broken badly enough to obstruct the opening to one or more of your sinuses, you may have problems with sinus squeeze, but from your post it doesn't sound like the injury is that severe.
Be mindful of what your nose/sinuses feel like on descent and ascent, make sure you equalize your mask properly, don't do anything that hurts, and you should be ok.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for your help, I'm sorry I'm new to the site and can't find Diving Medicine under the forums, where exactly is it?

ScubaBoard > Underwater Activities and Specialties > Marine Science and Physiology > Diving Medicine

PS - You're already there, as your post has been moved :cool2:

I have two dives scheduled for tomorrow, at a depth of 30 feet. Yesterday while playing basketball I might have broken my nose. There was no blood, and there is no swelling and practically no pain, and nothing appears to be too crooked....

So, what makes you think it is broken? What symptoms do you have??

I've broken my nose 4 times, and each occasion presented some pain, swelling and initial bleeding.

Although I hope it's not broken and it probably isn't, there is still a possibility that it is. My question is will there be any additional damage to my nose if it is broken while diving, because of pressure, etc.? I don't have time to go get it x-rayed to see if it is broken, so what kind of risks am I running to dive this weekend? Thanks,

From a diving perspective, the biggest issue would be whether any internal malformation or swelling would prevent you from equalizing on descent or ascent.

Can you breath through your nose ok, with your mouth closed?
Can you 'pop' your ears gently by pinching your nose and blowing?
Is there any congestion or 'stuffiness' inside the nose?
Any pain in the nose, between the eyes or behind the forehead?

...calling DAN if you're a member.
You do not have to be a member to call. They will counsel you on your problem before asking if you are a member. That is a dangerous misstatement.

Reactions: RJP
You do not have to be a member to call. They will counsel you on your problem before asking if you are a member. That is a dangerous misstatement.

Good point - edited my post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom