Please help me out of the dog house!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwest

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Alan West here. I lost my wedding ring in Alice lake (sQUAMISH) 2 days ago. 12 feet of water. 40' from the beach, 8' from the dock. it flew off my finger as i was treading water and holding up my 5 yo daughter.

Me devestated, wife furious. dove 50 times with mask but no luck. too deep for me and others who tried. I know almost exactly where it is.

Not a great way to impress your new wife of 3 weeks!

Need some help with this and i will gladly pay for this service, of course. "Do you take Cash??:)?"

Cheers
Al
604 898 5170 hm
604 815 9473 mobile

"Do you take Cash??:)?"

Sorry, credit cards only :wink:

I am not available till Wed. But if anyone else is game go for it.

Hi,

Alan West here. I lost my wedding ring in Alice lake...it flew off my finger as i was treading water and holding up my 5 yo daughter.
Me devestated, wife furious. ...Not a great way to impress your new wife of 3 weeks!...
Hey Al, I can't help, but; you're almost in a no win situation anyway. If you had been thoughtful, and took off your ring so you wouldn't lose it, the wife probably would have been furious you weren't wearing it. IJS. :wink:

Can you pin point it on this pic? Which beach/dock are you talking about and what colour was the ring (gold/silver).

I will go out on Sunday morning if nobody finds it before then.

alicelake2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Al, I can't help, but; you're almost in a no win situation anyway. If you had been thoughtful, and took off your ring so you wouldn't lose it, the wife probably would have been furious you weren't wearing it. IJS. :wink:

Snark!
When I was younger I studied Karate and we had to take our rings off to spar. One day I was working in the greenhouse and washing my hands with that automotive orange soap stuff (to take off persistant tomato stains) and really wringing my hands hard. After I rinsed them I noticed my ring was gone. I tore the whole plumbing apart under the sink and still couldn't find it. My wife thought it was a bad omen. About three weeks later I was looking in my Karate bag and there was my ring! I had forgotten it there after sparring and only thought it came off in the wash.

My wife was happy and unusually cruel at the same time :shakehead:

Snark!
When I was younger I studied Karate and we had to take our rings off to spar. One day I was working in the greenhouse and washing my hands with that automotive orange soap stuff (to take off persistant tomato stains) and really wringing my hands hard. After I rinsed them I noticed my ring was gone. I tore the whole plumbing apart under the sink and still couldn't find it. My wife thought it was a bad omen. About three weeks later I was looking in my Karate bag and there was my ring! I had forgotten it there after sparring and only thought it came off in the wash.

My wife was happy and unusually cruel at the same time :shakehead:
Yes indeed! When I got married, my wife picked these really nice gold and diamond rings. Well, I worked at a job (electrical) that also included some fairly heavy work. So I would leave my ring at home, which drove her crazy. I was afraid I'd lose it if I was taking it off at work, besides the fact it was a nice conductor or could have been mis-shaped by the lifting I was doing. I bought 2 cheap silver bands that I wear (one is a spare). That way; I'm wearing my wedding band, can take it off when needed, and if I lose it, no big deal. One of my better compromises to keep the peace. :)

Smart man Irishsquid.....
And Alan, man I hope you find it...Please post if you do.....

Looked for the ring today with no success.

The area is just shoreside of the top (in the picture) floating dock of the north beach.

Though it is a small search area the terrain turned out to be the worst case scenario for losing something. A slope of unstable pea gravel that slumped when touched (may have covered the ring) followed by a small boulder field (the ring may have slipped through the gaps) followed by a bottom of jello silt covered with a bacterial layer of slime (the ring may have sunk through). Added to that is 1-2' vis on bottom. Alan seems like a nice guy and if anyone else wants to have a go I'm sure he would appreciate it.

We both talked about an underwater metal detector being the best bet so if anyone has one/knows of one that can be used please let either Alan or I know. I would do the dive again with the detector if someone has one but isn't interested in the dive itself.

On a side note: I also discovered that I can do a 74 minute dive on a single St 72 :D

I lost my wedding ring in Alice lake (sQUAMISH) 2 days ago. Me devestated, wife furious. Dove 50 times with mask but no luck. Too deep for me and others who tried. I know almost exactly where it is. Not a great way to impress your new wife of 3 weeks!
I feel your pain. So does Frederik, the crown prince of Denmark, who had a similar experience two years ago. So at least you're in good company.

I once found a wedding ring in a local river, listed it on Craig's List, and got it back to the rightful owner after he identified which river and the exact location. If I were in B.C. I'd be happy to help. Good luck.

-Bryan

Yes indeed! When I got married, my wife picked these really nice gold and diamond rings. Well, I worked at a job (electrical) that also included some fairly heavy work. So I would leave my ring at home, which drove her crazy. I was afraid I'd lose it if I was taking it off at work, besides the fact it was a nice conductor or could have been mis-shaped by the lifting I was doing. I bought 2 cheap silver bands that I wear (one is a spare). That way; I'm wearing my wedding band, can take it off when needed, and if I lose it, no big deal. One of my better compromises to keep the peace. :)

As a jeweler, two times I have seen hands long after the ring on them had become an electrical conductor. Take it from me, when rings are melted by electricity, the scarring is wicked!

Any rings come off whenever I am working with heavy tools, power equipments, or electricity. By the way silver is an awesome electrical conductor too, and sterling is lots softer than 14K so more likely to become seriously distorted by heavy stresses, like lifting.

Just a friendly observation.

Back
Top Bottom