Lighting Choices For Powershot G16 And A Fantasea Fg16 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatchorder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I have researched and read many articles about dive cameras, including the one posted by Jim Spears, who has given me some personal pointers but has admitted he is not current enough to answer my main questions other than to say to use a red filter with video as you are unable to shoot in RAW mode,which makes sense. I think I know what I want but I would like anyone with an expert eye to look over it to give me some pointers if I may be so bold as to ask?

I have searched the forum, because I am aware of "same same" questions but I cannot find an answer to a similar question that fits my scenario......

First of all a bit of background information about me. I am 53 and started photography at school when I purchased a Zenit EM and fitted it with a Pentax lens because I knew the original lenses supplied by Zenit were poor quality compared. That 42 mm thread lens then migrated onto my first decent camera, a Pentax ME Super, with an adaptor ring because it was such a great 50mm lens. I used to develop and print my own B&W films and eventually moved onto a Nikon F-801 when my Pentax was stolen, and that 801 was used to death and I still have it sitting in a cupboard with a whole bag of lenses, which is a tragedy.

In my late 20's I started diving and have been a PADI advanced diver for many years. All of my diving has been vacation diving in the main, as I am not into dry suits, zero vis, high current and freezing conditions as most of the diving here in the UK is! No offence to those who love it - it is just not for me!

Many years ago I had a Sony DSC-P1 with a marine housing that was good for 30 metres and it was nothing better than OK........ better than nothing, but nothing spectacular. The camera died a few years ago and I never replaced it because I just could not justify well over £1,000 for a decent rig to produce "good" results.

Last year, whilst diving in Antigua, I dived with a guy who had a rig that was very good. Practicing with it for photos and video made me realise that prices had come down and I did not need to break the bank to have some decent photos and video. My wife and I have a Nikon D3100 camera and lenses but she was so impressed by the pictures on the camera in Antigua that she asked me to buy her a Canon Powershot G16 as a handbag camera. This now placed a decent camera within range of my itchy fingers for diving............

So, this is where I need the advice. In Antigua I used the Powershot G16 in a Fantasea FG16 housing, with a Big eye lens on the front, with a redeye filter (with a housing on one of the arms for it) and it had a Blue Ray double Tray with two Video lights attached. It worked, produced great photos and video and I was happy with it. BUT I do not know if it is the right lighting setup to go for.

I already have the camera, that is the done deal, so I can only go for the Fantasea FG16 marine housing - which is £299 here ($425). The Big eye lens is £185 ($265) and the redeye filter and eyegrabber are £55 ($78). Now I am stuck.... Do I go for something like the twin action 700 lighting set which has a double tray, 2 flexarms, 2 x 700 lumen video lights with rechargeable batteries and a charger for £350 ($500) or should I go for something which has a strobe flash gun on like the Nano Flash 700 lighting kit which replaces one of the torches with a Nano flash for £50 extra? Or do I blow the budget and spend an extra £400 and get the Inon S-2000 and 1600 lumen torch kit which seems completely over the top for me - but you may say differently?

I know it depends on what I want to shoot but to be honest I do love the video I captured, and whilst 1000 pictures of fish and wrecks will please me, they will no doubt bore others! When I shared videos from Antigua I got a better reaction. I also know that there is a small strobe built into the camera if I need it, but in general I was happy with all the photos that were lit with the 2 dive lights..........

But am I wrong?

I do not want to spend over £1,000 - that is a must. I do not dive often enough to justify it. My son dives with me a lot and he will no doubt use it when he goes off with friends (He has been an advanced diver for a few years and is doing his divemaster this summer), and my daughter has just started diving this year - so no doubt once her buoyancy control and safety awareness are high enough she will want to borrow it as well!

I dive and photograph for pleasure. I do not want the camera to take over my diving to the point I do not love my dives because I spent too much time shooting pictures and video, but what I do shoot I want to be decent quality so that I enjoy it. Not competition winners, or waiting 10 minutes for the perfect shot - just memories to keep and share. My background of years of photography mean I know a reasonable amount about F stops, depth of field and aperture or shutter priority to be able to find my way around the camera.

I am quite happy being a warm water vacation diver, occasionally push the 42 metre mark, but have never gone into deco on my computer, and never let testosterone get in the way of safety! If you ever need a reminder of that go and find (If you have not seen it) "Monty Halls and the divers graveyard" - one of the best films about testosterone and diving and should be required watching for every new diver's watch list before they do their advanced diver in my opinion!

So thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forwards to reading any help or advice that forum members could offer me.

Thanks and regards

Ian

no opinions about this?

Thank you for at least posting - I was beginning to think my thread was invisible! LOL

I was expecting a plethora of opinions on the subject..... perhaps I offended someone inadvertently! I tried to put as much detail in to describe exactly what I was looking for to avoid crossed wires but I may have just bored people.........

I am a moderator on another forum and by now there would have been a bun fight and 300 different opinions and 3 mods would have had to wade in split the thread for straying from the topic, and so I was a little surprised at the silence.

Thanks and regards,

Ian

Thank you for at least posting - I was beginning to think my thread was invisible! LOL

I was expecting a plethora of opinions on the subject..... perhaps I offended someone inadvertently! I tried to put as much detail in to describe exactly what I was looking for to avoid crossed wires but I may have just bored people.........

I am a moderator on another forum and by now there would have been a bun fight and 300 different opinions and 3 mods would have had to wade in split the thread for straying from the topic, and so I was a little surprised at the silence.

Thanks and regards,

Ian
Maybe you provided too much commentary? Did you have a specific question we should fixate on?

I have a G16 and I use either a set of S&S YS110 or S&S YS110a strobes for stills. I do not use the builtin camera flash. I use manual control (camera & strobe) via wired sync cables to the strobes.

I do not do any video, but purchased a scubalamp PV10 dive light to try as focus light. Too bright and too wide a beam. I retreated to the S&S target lights. But I think this light would be just fine for video.

Why not start with 1 simple slave flash like Intova ISS2000, get used to it and then maybe upgrade, if you feel you need an upgrade?

Maybe you provided too much commentary? Did you have a specific question we should fixate on?

I have a G16 and I use either a set of S&S YS110 or S&S YS110a strobes for stills. I do not use the builtin camera flash. I use manual control (camera & strobe) via wired sync cables to the strobes.

I do not do any video, but purchased a scubalamp PV10 dive light to try as focus light. Too bright and too wide a beam. I retreated to the S&S target lights. But I think this light would be just fine for video.

I guess that I predominantly want to shoot video, but if I use 2 fixed lights will that give me a poor performance on stills because I do not have a strobe/flash? Also my son and daughter may want to use it for photos more than video in which case it may not be "fit for purpose" if I only have 2 direct lights?

Why not start with 1 simple slave flash like Intova ISS2000, get used to it and then maybe upgrade, if you feel you need an upgrade?

So have one strobe and one 700 lumen torch, shoot video on 1 light and just use the strobe for photos?

Probably most important is where you dive and what type of photography you want.

To explain, my diving is entirely in the pacific northwest (Vancouver Island near Nanaimo B.C.). Visibility varies between 1 ft and 50 ft during the year, with 10-15 being an average "good" dive.

That means I'm wasting my money and time trying to get those 100ft vis wide angle shots like the dive magazines. It means I run my camera in macro mode 99% of the time and focus on critters, both large and small.

For that, I currently use a Canon G16 with the Ikelite TTL housing and a dual arm tray. Arm 1 is the DS51 flash with TTL hookup. The other arm is a flex line attached to a Sola 1200 video light. The Sola is good for taking video and for focus/backlight for pictures. This is my second Ikelite housing (prior was for a Canon A570IS) and my first flash (hence the cheaper DS51). I absolutely love this rig.

It also is small enough to allow me to be a diver with a camera rather than a camera with a diver hanging off of it. Sometimes we get current on dives and it's really nice to be able to clip the camera off on a D ring and concentrate on diving.

Thanks Sunnyboy. I think I will always be a warm water tropical kind of diver but it looks like people are suggesting a flash and a video light is the best combination.

Thanks and regards,

Ian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom