Please help me decide....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoobaDo

Reaction score
Next April my hubby and I want to plan a special trip for our 20th anniversary. We are considering Roatan (Coco View resort) for 10 - 14 days. Is there a live aboard that we could do for 3-4 days for part of that time? Keeping that in mind let me tell you a little about us....

Both logged 35-40 dives
I love to take underwater photos...
Renting BC's (unless I can talk him into buying.....)
2 weeks is the most time we can spend away from home..
Is there a golf course anywhere close?
Have never dove without a divemaster, is diving from shore
relatively easy?...

I have ruled out a live aboard for any great length of time until we try shorter trip (to see if we like it). Loved Belize and Cozumel. The best thing about Belize is that we could dive in the morning, be done by 12-1PM and relax the afternoon away....

Any other ideas would be appreciated......

I love dive trips, done many, but a week of diving is plenty for most people. Might want to plan the other week doing something else - like Costa Rica jungle tours or something.

Get your AOW & Nitrox training before you go. I was OW when I first did Roatan, but extra training would be good.

I would never rent outside of the US! If you gotta' rent the BC & Reg, get it locally, then pool check. A few items many divers don't carry that I strongly suggest:
  • Safety Sausage;
  • Storm whistel;
  • 4 weight belt keepers. $30 for much better safety.

Got DAN insurance? Don't dive without it...

Sounds like CoCo view would be perfect except for golf. I don't think there is any golfing on the island. The shore diving is easy and you don't need a divemaster you just can't get lost. You follow a chain down to the wall and make a left and follow the wall and then turn around and follow it back to the chain. The Prince Albert (wreck) is right there to the right of the chain and Newmans wall a bit further. Check out their website they also have a discussion board you can join in on. We will be there in July. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/

I know that it is not so close, but the most romantic island in the world is Bali, and not just topside, some of the best reef diving in the world. It makes the caribbean look like it was painted in black and white.

That is where I would take my wife for our twentieth,........ if we werent getting divorced,,,,,,, and if she could dive...and if she liked to travel....... that is .... er.....

Yeah, go to Bali...

Cancun Mark... you crack me up..... I will check on Bali. Sorry to hear about your pending divorce...

Cancun Mark... you crack me up..... I will check on Bali. Sorry to hear about your pending divorce...

Parrothead... you eased my mind on the shore diving.. thanks

DandyDon... I don't think I could ever get tired of diving.. I'm not very comfortable with deep diving yet... just did the Blue Hole and was very uneasy way down there in the dark....with the sharks....knowing that I HAD to make a pitstop before I could come up.... Kinda Narc'd. Are there a lot of deep dives that are must do's in Roatan?
Thanks for the info

ScubaDoobaDo:
DandyDon... I don't think I could ever get tired of diving.. I'm not very comfortable with deep diving yet... just did the Blue Hole and was very uneasy way down there in the dark....with the sharks....knowing that I HAD to make a pitstop before I could come up.... Kinda Narc'd. Are there a lot of deep dives that are must do's in Roatan?

Arrg!! :furious: They took new OWs with 22 dives then down the hole deep enough to get narced! I remember that now from your report, but it still gets me! This why many of us around here urge newbies to learn more about taking care of themselves, setting their own limits, and not just trusting the Dive Guides.

No, the Roatan Guides will probably not take you below 100 feet, and even if they do - you don't have to. I'm more likely to go deeper than the Guides, but you don't have to, and it's no needed there. I dived with FIBR both trips, but their friendly neighbors, using the same Guides at times, and I'm sure they are as careful.

And while you won't need a Guide to follow the chain there, be sure you are up on your Survival & Rescue skills. Things go wrong. But the diving is great, usually good for newbies, but - you'll have a lot more dives by then, I'm sure.

Another possibility for the other week: Cenotes dives. Not sure if they have them on the Honduran mainland, though.

ScubaDoobaDo:
Next April my hubby and I want to plan a special trip for our 20th anniversary. We are considering Roatan (Coco View resort) for 10 - 14 days. Is there a live aboard that we could do for 3-4 days for part of that time? Keeping that in mind let me tell you a little about us....

Both logged 35-40 dives
relatively easy?... QUOTE]

No, there are no liveaboards that will book you for less than a week, certainly not in the Bay Islands.

Liveaboards that cater to Americans follow the Saturday-Saturday scedule. Many of them do indeed plan to hover near their departure port waiting for delayed bags and passengers, but are not likely to return to port for a three day passenger.

In the Maldives, however, this is quite common. Fast boats or sea planes take you to various islands where a liveaboard is scheduled to your reservation and pick up.

Roatan does have golf. It is between Coxen Hole (Bojangles Chicken) and Bay Islands Beach Resort. I like the hole that has the snapping alligator the best.

There are plans to build a golf course on Roatan. I'll send you a postcard when your Tee Time is available :crafty:

CoCoView will fit your needs well, their rental gear is first rate and it's got just what your list describes. But your probably going to want to dive a bit more than you describe- it's that inviting!

RoatanMan Roatan does have golf. It is between Coxen Hole (Bojangles Chicken) and Bay Islands Beach Resort. I like the hole that has the snapping alligator the best. There are plans to build a golf course on Roatan. I'll send you a postcard when your Tee Time is available :crafty: CoCoView will fit your needs well:
You so funny. I was thinking country club type golf course not miniature golf :D I see your not going incognito any longer :anon:

ScubaDoobaDo:

Both logged 35-40 dives
relatively easy?...

I have ruled out a live aboard for any great length of time until we try shorter trip (to see if we like it). Loved Belize and Cozumel. The best thing about Belize is that we could dive in the morning, be done by 12-1PM and relax the afternoon away....

Any other ideas would be appreciated......

ScubaDoo,

My wife and I travel and dive at a frequency that is probably above average. (Leaving tomorrow for Coz) As such we get to the Bay Islands several times a year. Cocoview is a wonderful resort. It is a DIVERS paradise. However, if you are seeking the diving with the romantic, and you wish to consider your options, you may wish to check out www.couples.com in Jamaica. My wife and I have been there several times. We always go to the one in Ocho Rios. (they have three) It is all inclusive (no kids, no singles) Many go there to get married. it is a great place for people who are in love. They have everything there and it is included in the price. (including the scuba diving and equipment) If you think Couples is a possibility, the best and most econoimical way to do it is through the travel agent of your choice. Sometimes they have great deals. Also Funjet and Air Jamaica have deals.

So, if you're in love and want to do it all, take a look at Couples. If you want to dive, dive, dive then take a serious look at Cocoview.

PS my wife had a little input into this post also......

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom