Please help a novice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EllyJ

New
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am hoping you guys will be able to help. I know very little about diving however my boyfriend loves it and has just completed his advanced open water qualification. I want to get him a good diving computer for christmas however i have no idea where to start looking. I know he is continuing on to the next level qualification early next year so i dont want to get him a completely basic one. Hopefully that will give you guys in the know some idea of what level he is at. As my research so far has shown me these things can run into thousands of pounds i was hoping there was something decent out there for around the £300-£400 mark.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
EllyJ

Not a problem, most computers now days are relatively inexpensive and offer a lot of features. Firstly see what his favorite dive shop offers because if you buy it there they might exchange it if he doesn't like it. It's not hard to find a good one for less than 200 pounds. Some popular features are; Nitrox ability, guage mode, downloadable to laptop. The type could be a factor as well, there are 3 styles; small wrist ( like a watch), wrist operated and console mounted. You may have to interrogate him to see which he would prefer. Good luck!

Talk to his instructor and the dive shop he uses...They may have heard him talk about or look at particular computers......Ask them or his dive 'buddies' to 'quietly' talk to him about what he'd like......There are many in the price range you stated and there's a shop in the Netherlands, Lucas, that has a good selection and good prices........

I saw Scubatoys was selling 'used' Mares Icon HD for only 400 some dollars. It looked pretty impressive for the price. I've been out of the loop for a while though.

There is a couple of options you could go with in that price range. first we would have to know if he wants on a console or wrist? For now I will assume wrist. The first option would be the Oceanic VEO 3.0 this is a full function wrist unit that has large displays and sells for $399 US. The second option I would look at would be something more sporty and what I mean by that is the dive computer can be worn as a watch. and the Oceanic OCS White Dive Computer is as sporty as they get but comes in a little over budget at $669 US. Then if you want to give something very cool then the Aeris Elite T3 Hose less Air Integrated Dive Computer at $649 may be the ticket... with this unit he no longer needs to have a pressure gauge since it is built in to the computer.

Now remember as a forum member you get 10% off those prices so that might help a bit!

Let me know if I can help

Joe

Is there any reason why you wouldn't push for the Icon HD since it seems significantly better (except for AI) and it's cheaper?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom