Please help a new guy out Leaky Mask)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a simple question (which may not matter) but how long before diving do you shave? When I'm beardless I find that if it's been more than a couple of hours before diving since I shaved my mask will leak by my nose - I keep a disposable razor in my mask case and just "brush up" under my nose before I dive to make sure now. The same is actually true with my beard, I just have to shave a 1/4 strip where the mask seal lays.

May not be your problem, but tossing it out there for you to consider.

And I'd second that video clip Pipedope posted, very good stuff.

Aloha, Tim

Ears: Sounds like you have a wax issue. My ears have the same tendency to clog up after water gets in there, and it affects my hearing. It's quite annoying, but it never gets painful and I have not had a problem with infections.

I use a water pik; filled with warm water, set to a low pressure setting, and I lean over the sink as I irrigate out the ear canal. You gotta pull down on your earlobe to open up the canal, and when you have the angle right, it gets very loud as the water pounds against your eardrum. I have been able to remove large chunks of wax that are the same shape as my ear canal and perhaps 1/2" long! After they wash into the sink, I can't help but pick them up and squoosh them between my fingers. And the ears are so clean afterwards!

Disclaimer: This is not to be taken as medical advice, I am just sharing what works for me!

One more point: it's a mask; it'll leak, sometimes. Less of a waste of time to get used to it a little than to get too anal about keeping it powder dry in there.

Just a thought HIH

My LDS gives a tube of silicone grease, the type used on O-rings, to men with facial hair when they purchase a mask. The mask is fitted and tried out in the store in the customary manner. The grease is "just in case".

This may work for your smile lines. Be careful not to get any grease on the inside glass as it will obviously smear. I have had strangers on dive boats try it out and it worked for them. I am clean shaven now and the same mask does seal bitter without the hair on my lip.

cagemaker

I would go along with the silicone grease idea. I used some on my last dive trip and it made quite a difference. (I have a short beard & tash!).

Don't use vaseline as it is petrolium based and will degrade the silicone rubber of your mask. Stick to the silicone grease. If you can't get any silicone grease you can use KY jelly, which is a bit less viscous but does the job.

I know I am to expect small amounts of water from time to time but I had the mask fill up several times (had to clear about every 5 min I guess) I think I may of just had it to tight because while it was happening I just kept giving it a little tug making it tighter each time. I don’t have a place to go right now.... I am going to see if I can tag along to the next class at our local dive shop and see how it does in the pool. I try to shave before every dive so that’s not the problem. My ears are a lot better still pop when I swallow but better none the less.

You guys are great for passing along your thoughts and I really want to thank you for them... One more thought have you seen that ear blow dryer in the new Scuba Diving mag (page 32) www.dryear.net ?? Any good?

Other possibilities:

-The skirt is getting twisted someplace;
-There's hair under the skirt;
-You've got the strap too far up or down on the back of your head;
-There's dirt lodged in the workings of the mask someplace or the skirt hasn't mated with the frame somewhere. (Take it to the lds if you think this could be the case.)

Saw the ear dryer. I'd let my ears dry themselves instead.

myrddin:
...have you seen that ear blow dryer in the new Scuba Diving mag (page 32) www.dryear.net ?? Any good?
Looks good, but for a hundred bucks?? I'd stay with a chemical (read homemade alcohol based) drier. It is not going to help with your middle ear problem anyway. If you were plagued with chronic outer ear canal infections it might be worth the investment. I have no doubt it is effective. If you get one give us a review.

Try numbering the barbs on your mask strap with a marker. Play around with the tension and try to find a place that does not leak. I have found that mask is less prone to leak, if the strap is square on the back of my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom