Please help a new guy out Leaky Mask)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ear issues are very common and it takes a few tries to find what works best for you. Personally, I'm a longtime time sinus/allergy sufferer. When dive season arrives I use Flonase nasal inhaler and take Sudafed decongestant(Pseudoephedrine) before I dive. NOTE: It is very important that the decongestant not wear off during the dive. There is a 12 hour tablet available

Also, when the Doc checks out your ears ask him about wax build up. Having excess wax removed can work wonders.

Ears. Make sure they are good and clean. As I recently found out, a ball of crud can quickly form, trapping the water behind it, between it and the ear drum, and promote infection and a lot of other water-in-the-ear issues.

Have a doc take a good look inside.

I have noticed 2 common problems with leaking masks that otherwise seem to fit.

1. The mask strap is usually to tight. Remember the strap is really there to hold the mask on your face when you equalize the mask. You can actually dive without a strap if you are careful.

2. The mask strap is either to high up on the head or to low down on the head causing the strap to pull the mask in odd directions causing leaks. This is usually combined with a strap that is to tight.

I know this might date me but I always have liked a mask that has one of those purge valves under your nose. Makes clearing so much easier I think. But, things have changed. I know they are still made just not as available as once was. Just a thought.

Outstanding advice.... You know when I think about it every time the water comes in the mask I try to make it a bit tighter... I could have been making it worse on my own, now to find a place to dive for practice to see if that was the cause?? And for my ears its weird today would be my last day for antibiotics and they feel fine (after a few weeks) but the left one still seems odd, for example every time I swallow it pops like I am clearing it each time (sort of like in a plane) or if I bend over it seems as though they both give a pop and feel fuller (don’t know how to explain properly) no pain just popping and pressure. I can hear fine and its nothing that lasts a long time.... I guess I need to make a follow up visit and this time Ill see if my family doc will find me an ENT.

Thank you guys and pleas if someone has other thoughts or comments keep them rolling in, I want to try whatever I can to remedy both of these problems so I don’t end up giving up.

:)

Whatever you do - once you get your mask leak fixed dont ever adjust the strap again!

I spent around 10 dives getting the perfect fit for my mask, then did around 100 leak free dives with it. Not a drop of water got in. Then, for some reason that I do not fully understand - I think boredom while waiting for some divers to get into the water - I gave my mask strap an ever so small tweak. It flooded like never before on that dive, and it took me another 10-15 dives to get it back to normal...

If it works don't fix it.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Whatever you do - once you get your mask leak fixed dont ever adjust the strap again!

I spent around 10 dives getting the perfect fit for my mask, then did around 100 leak free dives with it. Not a drop of water got in. Then, for some reason that I do not fully understand - I think boredom while waiting for some divers to get into the water - I gave my mask strap an ever so small tweak. It flooded like never before on that dive, and it took me another 10-15 dives to get it back to normal...

If it works don't fix it.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Bit of a non-starter when you wear a hood sometimes, though. Or in my case - two different hoods depending on whether I'm wet or dry.

It really shouldn't be THAT critical, anyway. Tighten the strap until it just holds the mask against your face. Always worked for me.

doole:
It really shouldn't be THAT critical, anyway. Tighten the strap until it just holds the mask against your face. Always worked for me.

Yeh I agree - I had my tongue in cheek when I wrote 'ever so small change' and '10-15 dives to get back to normal'. I use a neoprene mask strap with velcro attachment strips that you have take off and fiddle around with to adjust - so theres always a bit of trail and error in getting a good fit. I am however surprised just how little tightening is needed to go from a dry mask to leaking like a sieve.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Are you wearing a hood?

After you put on your mask, ensure that the hood is outside of the mask instead of inside of the mask.

On the mask.
It helps to test fit with a reg or snorkel in your mouth to get a mask that fits for diving.

I know people who have different masks for scuba and free diving because the fit is different.

If your mask strap is too tight or too loose it can cause leaking also the angle can be important.

I have a Cressi Big Eyes that fits great but will leak if I start laughing underwater, otherwise it is great.

For ears, first go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/
and watch the streaming video.
It will tell you a lot more about your ears and diving including lots of different ways to equalize.

Back
Top Bottom