Please help a new guy out Leaky Mask)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrddin

Contributor
Reaction score
I have only had my open water for a short time now, I am learning a lot every day. Any way I seem to have 2 recurring problems that I need to resolve so it does not ruin my diving experience.

First off my mask leaks all the time, I have to clear every 1-5 min... the mask fits fine its a SP clearview, I had the LD shop fit me for it and I agree that it fits great out of the water, when I am in the water it leaks from the bottom of the mask near my nose... I was told it’s because of my smile lines (I guess when I move my face a certain way the lines I have break the seal and water comes in. Any help with this guys????

Second, I seem to have ear trouble... The last time I was in I started having trouble with my ears, I found out after I had an ear ache in my right ear and fluid on both. Well its been 2 weeks and my ears feel a lot better after taking the antibiotics but my left ear still feels at times like there is water in there, I can bend over and my ear plugs up like I’m in an air plane (or under water).. I just don’t want to harm my ears.

Please help out if you have any advice Ill take it.

Mike

I have a helluva time getting a mask that fits. I happen to have the same one you do. I have to take a regulator with me & try them on with it in my mouth.

I've found 90 % of the time that my mask leaks its because I have it on too tight - even a little bit too much pressure can turn smile lines, or in my case frown lines, into small water channels that can let in a surprising amount of water. Remember the strap is only there to hold the mask in place as you enter the water - the water pressure will seal it once you're in. I also find wiggling the mask around on my face and moving the mask bands position at the back of the head while diving can seal it (or make it a lot worse...).

Ear ache after diving could be swimmers ear or something more serious - did it hurt a lot while underwater or did you develop an earache after diving? Sounds like a ear infection - dont dive until it clears up and see a doctor if concerned: 2 weeks is a long time.

Best way to look after your ears is to equalise frequently when diving - before you feel any pain in your ears. Do a search on the board for 'equalisation' for a range of methods that can be used, practice them and use the ones that work for you. The less forceful the method the better on your ears.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Hi Mike,

Regarding your mask issue, try pulling your cheeks out flat after you've put your mask on. Sounds funny but it's one way to smooth out your smile lines.

Of course that that will only work until you see something really funny underwater and smile!

Paula

I find that my mask leaks more if I bite my reg hard and pull my front teeth inwards.If I relax my lips and mouth it leaks a lot less. Also better with the strap high on the back of my head. Play around with it and see what works for you. Helps to shave before diving as well.

As regards the ears,probably one of 2 things:
1)Not equalising early enough.You should be equalising BEFORE it hurts
2)Bacteria in the water. Use alcohol/vinegar to dry them out

All discovered by trial and error.................

I agree about keeping the strap loose. My strap is extremely loose just enough to keep it on my face until I get underwater. I have heard of people using vaseline if they have a mustache, maybe you could apply a little vaseline where you have the smile lines.

You mentioned that the shop fitted the mask for you. Do you remember how they fitted it. Reason being is that when my shop initially fitted my mask, they said place the mask on you face and inhale through your nose. If the mask stays, it fits .

However, while diving with Marvel, she taught me to fit a mask just by letting the mask rest on your face and having someone else see if the skirt makes contact completely around your face. Then you do the inhale through your nose bit.

If however, you can't find a good mask (I've had some trouble finding a good mask), you might try one of those full face masks that you just plug your reg into. They run about $99. I seriously considered buying one as they seem to be easier to breath from.

As a previous poster mentioned the ear problem may be swimmer's ear. If you have water in your ear after a dive you may want to use ear drops to dry them out. Searching the forums will get you many recommendations on combinations of alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, water, and a few other ingredients. Personally I just go to my local drugstore and buy a $2 bottle of Auro Dri which lasts a fairly long time. There are a number of different brands out there and any of them should work. Auro Dri contains Glycerin to break the surface tension of any water in your ear and alcohol as a drying agent.

Jason

I dunno about all of you, but i tried a bizillion masks until I found one that fit. Tusa works for me but I the key thing was not wearing it tight.. I agree with Aabond... Loosen up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom