Please evaluate my new setup !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Planning to get the following. i will be diving in mostly tropical waters (max 3mm wetsuit & often just bating suits).

I like to go to maybe a dive master level with PADI and do night and wreck Diving (not the extreme depth or cave).

I also plan on "renting" the Haylcon from EctremeExposure but i really dont see with my diving the BP/WINGS will help me ?? ALso BP?WINGS would be more confusing to setup and maintain trim for a begineer like me ??

Anyway, Here are my choices for equip. Please evaluate and give me comments and feedback

1) Suunto Cobra

2) MK 25 / S 600

3) Mares Syncro Power tech BCD or Zeagle Tech or OMS IQ Pak

4) ScubaPro R380 Octopus

a) Should i get these from Dive Inn or Leisure Pro ??

b) Does Dive Inn price match against Leisure Pro ??

c) Is is true that we get full manufacture warranty if we buy from Dive Inn ???

d) Is it also true that Dive Inn has a service facility in FLorida ??

e) IS Leisure Pro a dealer for Mares or Zeagle ??

p/s: i am sorry i couldnt support my LDS as i am not made of money and their prices is at least 40% more than the mail order guys

Okay....

You will not be disappointed with your reg setup or your computer. I know its going to be mentioned, so I guess I will. Have you looked into going with a BP/Wings setup instead of the BC? Just a thought. In response to your questions.

1) I'm assuming you mean Dive Inn, not Scuba Inn. It depends on price and warranty. You will hear good things from both.

2) AFAIK, no.

3) You will get a warranty, however I believe its an International warranty, so it might not be honored at your LDS.

4) Yes

5) No, but then again, I don't think LP is a dealer for anyone.

Hope that helps. Also, look at the prices for SimplyScuba.

Thomas

I own a Zeagle Tech. It hangs on my scuba wall. I won't use it any more. I'm hoping to find a new home for it someday far away from me.

Why?

The BC is bulky. The pockets are useless. The integrated weights are difficult to work with on a boat and the ripcord system is both difficult to re-thread and a potential failure point of epic proportions. The bladder is oversized (65 lb, which is larger than my doubles wing) and creates more drag than your average supertanker. There is simply no need for that many D-rings, particularly since some of them are plastic.

The tank shifts around on your back. There are many, many failure points because of the remarkable number of quick disconnect fittings.

The trim is awful due to the positioning of the weight pockets.

Oh.. Yeah.... I almost forgot. It traps air.

Let me put it another way. I was working a rescue class this weekend. I borrowed a low end Aqua Lung rental BC in order to save my stuff from being dragged out over the rocks during egresses. This cheap BC was more comfortable and streamlined than the Zeagle.

I see no reason why the trim would be any more difficult to maintain with a BP/Wing. I've helped train several OW students who ended up buying Halcyon Pioneer 27's or 36's, depending on their needs. They've gotten uniformly excellent reviews from the buyers.

It really doesn't matter that you don't intend to do extreme depths or caves. BP/Wings, IMHO, are comfortable, efficient and appropriate for recreational diving.

If you don't believe me, ask Uncle Pug.:D

Dxtreme once bubbled...
...I also plan on "renting" the Haylcon from EctremeExposure but i really dont see with my diving the BP/WINGS will help me ?? ALso BP?WINGS would be more confusing to setup and maintain trim for a begineer like me ??

I don't see why. Yes, a BP/wings takes a lttle more effort to adjust to get the fit just right when you first set it up. A couple of dives are usually all it takes. If anything it will make maintaining your trim alot easier!

Quite a few beginner divers in our area have gone directly into a BP/wings as their first gear purchase with absolutely no problems whatever.

The Mk25/S600 is a great reg, I have one and think it's excellent.

Let me help you save a ton of money, go with the Halcyon BP setup.

I first bought a ScubaPro X-Tech BC similiar to the Zeagle you described; it now sits in a box unused. I will not use it anymore. The BP and harness is much better and you will end up saving money if you do it right the first time. Give the BP a try first. As you said, you can always send it back.

A BP and Harness is easy to adjust and rig. It's not any more difficult than a more traditional BC.

What about OMS IQ PAK , is it consider as BP/WIng as well ?? even though it lokks like ordinary soft BC ???

DOes this defy the purpose or theory of BP/WING's in terms of streamlining ???

How do we determine how much weight or lift that we need ??? , how do we choose the plates ?? SS, alloy ?? Titanium ???

See, with a jacket or back inflated BC, a newbie like me wont get confused ! :confused:

now, i assume that extreme exposure can help me choose the correct specs that i need over the phone ???

The OMS is basically like a Zeagle, not a BP.

It has much more material than a BP/Harness and would not streamline as well.

Weighting depends on the type of diving you do. Double tank diving obviously requires more lift. The tank size and construction also makes a difference.

If you don't need much weight at all, say for fresh water diving, an Aluminum plate might work. Don't know of any Titanium plates. I wear a wetsuit that has 5mil on the chest and 3mil on the arms and legs. With my 6lbs plate and 2lbs STA, I'm negative. I could go with an Aluminum plate and still get down.

Extreme Exposure can answer any specific questions.

Not True!
The OMS IQ pack is a padded backplate, with single tank adapter,
while the Zeagle is a soft pack.

The Zeagle and IQ do not comply with DIR approach of streamlining. The extra D rings, weight pockets, plastic quick connects do not comply with the DIR approach. Added pockets are seen as extra drag, and plastic quick disconnects are seen as failure points.

OMS also sell a Tech backplate, harness and wing.
The DIR proponents do not approve of the Bungied wing,
they can trap gas in the bellows, and are harder to inflate manually. They are not considered DIR.

These are strictly factual statements about the gear,
I have buddies who dive OMS, Zeagle, and Halcyon.
I own and dive a Dive Rite backplate and wing.
These statments are not intended to express an opinion towards, or against DIR, OMS or Zeagle or Dive Rite.

While I do support many of the DIR principles like stream lining, I use a dive computer, Mares Volo fins, so I am not DIR.

MikeD
:blfish:

I have a suunto vyper and believe for recreational dives it is a very good computer. The cobra has some different features but the calculations are all the same.
Can not comment on any reg choices.
As far as the BC goes there are a ton of oppinions. Let me just say that you should stay away from the Mares synchro power tech. It is a real piece of junk IMO (do a search). I sold mine recently on ebay and luckily did not lose out of pocket. Have moved to a bp/wings and could not be happier. I have nothing against non bp/wing selection, only against that Mares product.
Good luck

Did you get my PM Dxtreme?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom