PLEASE don't rent mopeds...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Tragedy strikes again with a fatal moped accident involving a tourist.

I don't have all of the details at this point, but so far what I have heard is that she was traveling on the wrong side of the highway, just in front of the Caleta near the Presidente Hotel and was struck by a bus. She was pronounced dead on the scene. this happened between 5:00 and 6:00 pm today.

I know this sounds hypocritical coming from me since I DO own a moped and ride it to and from the office most of the time, but there really is a difference in someone renting a moped and a local who owns and maintains one and who is familiar with the roads, etc.

I BEG you not to rent mopeds while you're here. A car is not that much more and provides much more protection in the unfortunate case you have an accident.

Peace and love!
Christi

That is just so sad. Being killed on a moped is definitely a preventable event and the best way is to do as Christi suggests and just don't use one.

Christi:
I BEG you not to rent mopeds while you're here. A car is not that much more and provides much more protection in the unfortunate case you have an accident.

So sad to hear Christi. I actually have rented in Coz, and will again, but I have the finely honed survival instincts of a motorcycle rider. I've used a motorcycle as my sole means of transportation and assume everyone on the road is trying to kill you. I also take the most direct route out of town.

I'll echo your sentiments, if you don't know what your doing, and I mean really know, they are deathtraps. On my first trip to Coz, I witnessed a pretty bad accident between a tourist and a local. Driving in Mexico is nothing like driving in the US. In some places it is actually far better, but in urban areas, it can be very hazzardous.

James

We rented a car (thanks for the help Christi!) due to the advice here. It blew my mind to see these local families on the mopeds. THREE on one small bike - mother, daughter, and granddaughter swung off the daughter's hip - whipping back and forth between traffic. No helmets or anything.

But all we ever hear about is tourists getting hurt.

Wierd...

I was amazed at the locals insanity of 3 and 4 on a scooter. I even saw a women driving one with a man behind her feeding a bottle to a newborn! When I decided to rent a car I thought , this can be real crazy, dangerous or both. I was offered a Jeep but decided upon a VW Pointer, much more nimble in the streets of San Miguile. We made it OK but I saw a few accidents, nothing serious. I would heed Cristi's advice, leave the mopeds to the locals who do it everyday, and watch out for plain old bikes as they ride the streets at night with no lights or reflectors!

Swarth:
I was amazed at the locals insanity of 3 and 4 on a scooter. I even saw a women driving one with a man behind her feeding a bottle to a newborn! When I decided to rent a car I thought , this can be real crazy, dangerous or both. I was offered a Jeep but decided upon a VW Pointer, much more nimble in the streets of San Miguile. We made it OK but I saw a few accidents, nothing serious. I would heed Cristi's advice, leave the mopeds to the locals who do it everyday, and watch out for plain old bikes as they ride the streets at night with no lights or reflectors!
Only 3 or 4 to a scooter? The most I've heard of in Thailand is 7, however I've only seen 5. Trucks will routinely pull out in front of you.

Many foreigners and locals die on those, although if you are driving a car and get hit by a bus head on, I doubt the outcome would be much better.

My only vehicle accident that I sustained injuries was on a scooter/moped about 18 yrs. ago (knock on wood), and I stilll have some scars to prove it. Ok, Ok so the scooter was "borrowed" :wink: and I was wasted. :eyecrazy: . I'm probably only alive, because I took it offroad instead of on the street. You might say I was a pioneer in the world of Moto X, I took that sweet little Honda off a about a 10ft. double, I was flying must have been doin at least 10-15mph, when I launched, in my stupor, I believe I was going for what is now know as a leg whip to superman, no handed lander :34: :35: :bang: , it didn't work out so well :11:

Luckily, (actually it was probably the alcohol, etc.) I didn't break anything cause I was about a mile from civilization and alone. If someone had a video camera, I'm sure it would have been an instant classic, too bad MTV didn't have Jackass back then.

I'm still waiting on my check from ESPN :D

Swarth..... I was amazed at the locals insanity of 3 and 4 on a scooter. I even saw a women driving one with a man behind her feeding a bottle to a newborn! When I decided to rent a car I thought , this can be real crazy, dangerous or both. I was offered a Jeep but decided upon a VW Pointer, much more nimble in the streets of San Miguile. We made it OK but I saw a few accidents, nothing serious. I would heed Cristi's advice, leave the mopeds to the locals who do it everyday, and watch out for plain old bikes as they ride the streets at night with no lights or reflectors!

I would not call it, "local's insanity," as their transportation methods are limited to what they have access to. Defininetly a culture shock. You may think, "I would never take my children with me on a scooter, because it is way too dangerous" but you are not in their situation. The majority of people in Quintana Roo (Sp?) live at what we in the U.S. consider below the poverty line. They do not have the option of getting everyone into the mini-van or into the Hummer. Most of the locals are operating on a survival mode. They need to work to feed their families, run errands, and all that other good stuff. Cramming several people onto a scooter is simply part of everyday life due to the limited number of options they have.

As far as mopeds/scooters go, I would say, if you are unfamiliar with the area, and have no motorcycle experience, then don't do it. However, as mentioned above, motorcyclist ride with a different frame of mind. We constantly scan for hazards learn the limits of our bikes, and ride within them. I feel comfortable riding a scooter or motorcycle in Coz. I have riden a motorcycle in many heavily populated areas including Mexico City, Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta, etc.. But of course, it takes skills and familiarity with the area.

I have seen so many tourist on scooters in Coz thinking that they are toys, riding on the sidewalks, into one-way streets on the opposite side, intoxicated, etc. Maybe this is why you hear more about tourist getting into accidents than the locals.

Back
Top Bottom