Please check that SPG!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The following was once said to me when I was a new diver by an older more experienced person on the boat.

You remember when you were being OW certified right? BWRAF. Now I will be the first to admit that diving with my wife our Pre Dive checks are somewhat cursory. We dive the same set up all the time and know each other inside out (of course that doesn’t make it right).

The one check we ALWAYS do is the checking of AIR.

Everyone is taught (I believe) to look at their SPG while taking 3 normal breaths through their regs. Time and time again (as I did once) I see new divers doing no more than 3 quick sips while looking at their gauge but not seeing.

The whole purpose of the check is to ensure your gas is on and the valve fully opened. 3 sips may not use enough air to get the gauge to move. I know when I first learnt I didn’t want to “waste” my precious air (in the same way I used to orally inflate my BCD before jumping to so as to have the absolute max air to dive with). Trust me it’s all a fallacy you’re not wasting air – and the little you do use won’t extend your dive by more than a minute max.

Fully check both regs by breathing on them look for that deflection and let your buddy see you doing it too.

None of us are perfect, I have been distracted a couple of times and forgotten to turn my air on. But I’ve never ever entered the water with my air off or partially off. This check has always caught it.

Actually, I “normally” test before I put my kit on, but ALWAYS just before I jump or roll into the water, as the last minute check. Even if I know I have done it while kitting up I’ll do it again. I have made sure it’s so ingrained that its habit.

When I’ve seen people just go through the motions, I always politely explain why they should be more careful to do it properly. Maybe they didn’t really understand when they were taught, maybe they just go a bit complacent, no-one has ever been upset I've explained it to them as someone once did to me. And for that I've always been thankful that they did.

Dive safe and may the number of your descents always equal your number of ascents.

thanks for the info and update...

Ditto for Air - Integrated computers! If it is hose-less, it will take about 2 or 4 breaths for the tank pressure to appear But then you can see the pressure drop a few p.s.i. with each breath. If your paired to your buddy, you can be checking theirs as well.

Good reminder. I try to mention to students the vital importance to check thoroughly, explaining the serious problems one could have jumping into deep water with a few breaths of air then none. Have to admit I am slack on my shore dives, but for me it's always descend right away and a long ways swimming in 5 feet of water--no excuse. I've forgotten to turn my air on maybe 4-5 times over 10 years. On a boat I'm always 110% sure it's good to go, especially doing only one boat (2 if lucky) yearly.

You guys must have reg setups with a lot more hoses than mine. If my air is off one breath drops the pressure WAY down. Do yours really not take a major drop with a breath?

Ditto for Air - Integrated computers! If it is hose-less, it will take about 2 or 4 breaths for the tank pressure to appear...

I have seen integrated computers that round to 10 PSI over quite a few samples so you may not see any change even though the valve isn't fully open. It is still a good test to see if the valve is shut and you are just breathing down what is in the regulator and hoses though.

They all have to do some rounding and over a number of samples or the flickering numbers at the low end would drive you nuts.

You guys must have reg setups with a lot more hoses than mine. If my air is off one breath drops the pressure WAY down. Do yours really not take a major drop with a breath?

The protocol is to take a few HARD and FAST breaths and observe the SPG needle. You are also looking for a temporary drop in pressure which would be indicative of a partially open tank valve - which is probably more common than completely off.

As well, I would add - the days before a trip or a dive day, take out your intermediate pressure gauge, connect it to your LP inflator hose and run checks there. Take a few breaths off a fully charged system and watch what the gauge needle does. Find out beforehand what the recommendation for IP is from your reg manufacturer and proceed. Check your cracking pressure in a bucket of water or the kitchen sink too.

As well, I would add - the days before a trip or a dive day, take out your intermediate pressure gauge, connect it to your LP inflator hose and run checks there. Take a few breaths off a fully charged system and watch what the gauge needle does. Find out beforehand what the recommendation for IP is from your reg manufacturer and proceed. Check your cracking pressure in a bucket of water or the kitchen sink too.

Fine so long as you own your own gear - for those of us renting when required, it is not an option.

Interesting. I wonder how long and what training agencies has this as part of their courses. I never heard of it till I saw it on SB! My DI never talked about it.. goes to show how much we learn from each other on SB :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom