Please be gentle!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know someone could have a field day with this, so please, be easy. I'm a 45 year old guy, in great shape (that is what I keep hearing on every dive trip, most recently Fiji). I'm a DM candidate currently also. My question is this - is it too late to pursue a Marine Biology degree? I used to be fascinated by Jacques Cousteau and anything else I could put my eyes to about the oceans. When I dive I like to classify everything to the point of driving my GF and anyone else close to me nuts. I used to draw pictures of anything under the ocean that I saw...
So, is a career in Marine Biology only for young people? What are the "usual" travel requirements for something like this career? My kids are almost on their own and I'm looking for something to get my interest back up in my career... presently I'm a senior computer geek for a large defense contractor and, tbh, I'm getting somewhat sick of computers and their inclusive problems. Just curious as to what kind of feedback I would get if I posted this message.

You need to have a heart to heart with Dr. Bill here on the board :wink: It's a job that doesn't pay much but will have its own rewards. You only live once, if you want it go get it!
Ber :lilbunny:

I know someone could have a field day with this, so please, be easy. I'm a 45 year old guy, in great shape (that is what I keep hearing on every dive trip, most recently Fiji). I'm a DM candidate currently also. My question is this - is it too late to pursue a Marine Biology degree? I used to be fascinated by Jacques Cousteau and anything else I could put my eyes to about the oceans. When I dive I like to classify everything to the point of driving my GF and anyone else close to me nuts. I used to draw pictures of anything under the ocean that I saw...
So, is a career in Marine Biology only for young people? What are the "usual" travel requirements for something like this career? My kids are almost on their own and I'm looking for something to get my interest back up in my career... presently I'm a senior computer geek for a large defense contractor and, tbh, I'm getting somewhat sick of computers and their inclusive problems. Just curious as to what kind of feedback I would get if I posted this message.

You're never too old to be happy. I know several Marine Biologists older than you who are out scouring the world for new species.

GET OUT THERE AND EXPLORE!

If you bring something else to the table from your life experiences (management, accounting, programming, etc.) then you've a big leg up on your younger colleagues.

Doesn't pay much, eh? LOL, no problem there. It just makes me laugh to think there are jobs that would pay at all for me to dive and chase fish. I have read many posts from Dr Bill, and could not have more respect for him (if you're out there and read this, maybe we should talk!). My youngest son lives with me but when I get my ex off my salary in a year or so I'll have a LOT more freedom, both in time and financially.
Definitely something I've been thinking about for a loooong time.

I have been thinking of doing the same thing, I will be 30 next year but I already feel burned out due to the IT game. I think I will look at doing it in a few years time.

Money will always be an issue though, luckily the wife is a graphic designer and loves it so she should be able to help out :)

Good luck with it though, live your dream!

Thanks, still thinking about it for sure. I am a full time telecommuter which also has possibilities, but if I got into something like MB I would probably get fired because I know where my focus would be....

In a word "MONEY". If you have enough to retire on so you don't need income then go for it. Hopefully you have "drop dead money (Clavell in Noble House) meaning you have enough money to tell anyone to "drop dead". There are many non paying or low paying jobs in the business and with those salary demands your odds are pretty good.

I'm not a marine biologist but my uncle was. He didn't get steady work that paid reasonably well until he had his masters degree.

Reaslistically, I would think you could have an undergrad degree in 3-4 years and a masters in 6 if you started now and were able to focus all of your energy on it. You probably already have one or two degrees so you will know what's involved.

As an alternative, if you have a lot of experience in one area you could use that too. Assuming you have a B/M.sc. in computers it would take you less time going back to school to fill in whatever gaps you have to find a teaching position at a college..... even part time.

Another alternative would be to take the mountain of experience you have and go consulting. You might be thinking "oohhh ick, consulting" but consulting companies may offer you new horizons that you don't have now and it would put a lot of variation into your work. I wouldn't write this off until you look into it at least.

In any event good luck.

R..

As a current marine biology graduate, I want to make sure that you are not romanticizing being a marine biologist. If you choose to follow this route, you will be taking classes not about sharks and dolphins and whales, etc (all of the cool things). You will be taking classes about aquatic chemistry and all of its included intricacies. You will learn everything you ever wanted to know about the nitrogen cycle and phosphorus and iron, etc. Basic marine biology courses fairly tedious and often overlooked when thinking of a career in marine biology. However, they are a good foundation to build your knowledge. If this is your interest, I encourage you to follow it. But, keep in mind that it is a long road to get where you want to be and it is not always glamorous. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom