PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't the frenzy pops also be at risk of bursting at depth?

Explain. Is there a lot of air in those bags? What is compressing?

Explain. Is there a lot of air in those bags? What is compressing?
I remembered them as having more air in them - but it's been years, so I guess not? They are certainly not the most durable of materials, though - I'd prefer something in a foil laminate pouch if I went that route - but whatever works, as long as you check and replace them when they start to get "brittle/"worn".

If your intention is to provide yourself with fluids while lost at sea, would something from here Personal Desalination & Personal Water Filter | Products not provide a better solution than using a product for something other then it's actual purpose?

I have to admit I am not sure how we got to where we are in this thread with freezy pops being used as survival gear... I will also say no one has the ability to tell anyone what they do or do not need as survival gear. Just ask my gf what we need for a hurricane vs what I say we need. I'm the guy that stocks up on food and water for 24 days as well as redundant systems for making fresh water, cooking transportation and defense...

Thanks for the tips. It's an interesting kit, but it's a bit too big to be carried around diving.

I remembered them as having more air in them - but it's been years, so I guess not? They are certainly not the most durable of materials, though - I'd prefer something in a foil laminate pouch if I went that route - but whatever works, as long as you check and replace them when they start to get "brittle/"worn".

4612214E-7819-4A8F-8B47-E486F75DF316.jpeg

736F8425-D99D-4A32-81FC-A8915994240A.jpeg

The tubes are almost full of water (20 volume % air when the tube is just relaxing and 10 volume % air when it is under tension by squeezing the top end). So it is loosely filled with water. It's designed to take the expansion stretch when the water freezes and expand into ice (Popsicle). To drink it, I had to use my teeth to tear the end of the seal. So it's pretty stout seal. We'll see next week when I take it down to 100' depth.

If it bursts at depth, we would just lose the drinking water. No big deal.

Part number: 15.300.600

Size: 3" x 6"

Internal: 2.5" x 4.875"

Fits ACR Resqlink+.

****Not much room for anything else****

I put in the pressure pot today. Took it for a ride to 150 feet for an hour ===>> Not a drop of moisture. Pretty amazing.

That’s pretty much the same dimensions inside & outside of my larger custom-made acrylic canister.

0B2859CC-51FE-470F-9734-E2F5FD19A6FA.jpeg

How much sugar is in a "freezy pop"? While the liquid may help with dehydration, will the additives make you thirstier? I like the idea of a tablet that you just add water to. :wink: :D
Seriously though, what about putting a water bottle in a mask pocket? I've heard of people taking a water bottle diving with them for when they get very thirsty on long dives. If it works, I wonder if you'll get fined for littering when you get rescued if the plastic bottle gets away from you.

Cheers -

How much sugar is in a "freezy pop"? While the liquid may help with dehydration, will the additives make you thirstier? I like the idea of a tablet that you just add water to. :wink: :D
Seriously though, what about putting a water bottle in a mask pocket? I've heard of people taking a water bottle diving with them for when they get very thirsty on long dives. If it works, I wonder if you'll get fined for littering when you get rescued if the plastic bottle gets away from you.

Cheers -

AEF44F6D-2548-4B5D-993C-63BE95E3BFE2.jpeg

Fun Pops
Sugar content = 12 / 71 x 100% = 17%

No tablet would work in removing salt, unfortunately. It can only be done by forward osmosis. As mentioned in the SeaPack of HTIwater.com (the link provided by @LetterBoy )

“How it Works:

The SeaPack is simple to use; just inject one 4 oz grape nutrient charge into the green port, and fill the red port with saltwater. Nature takes over from there, osmotically drawing fresh water through the membrane while rejecting salt molecules.”

It takes many hours, as demonstrated by the video above. You’ll still end up with sweet & salty taste in the end, but it’s still better than nothing or worse, drinking seawater.

No tablet would work in removing salt. It can only be done by osmosis
I know that. Didn't you see the wink? :D (this is not a wink)

Cheers -

Back
Top Bottom