Plaza Resort Bonaire and Toucan Divers Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South4Scuba

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As promised here is my trip report for our recent dive trip to Plaza Resort Bonaire from October 1-8, 2011. For those of you that want to get right to the bottom line. Yes, we would return to Plaza Resort Bonaire without any hesitation. We were on the all-inclusive plan which I highly recommend and had a good time and found the resort met our expectations. Toucan Divers is a good dive operation and we would use them again.

ARRIVAL
Upon arrival at Flamingo International Airport, we went through Customs, gathered our bags and were promptly greeted by a shuttle driver from Plaza Resort Bonaire. We were immediately taken to the resort which is a 5 minute ride from the airport. The check-in process was efficient even though there was a lot of information about the all-inclusive package and the resort provided by the front desk staff. Fortunately, at 6:30 a.m. there was a room available for us. Note that if you take the red eye flight from Houston you should just go straight to bed and forget about the "mandatory" diving orientation. They will do that most any time you want and there is no urgency to dive on the first day anyway. We slept an hour and then rushed to the dive shop for orientation and an afternoon dive. By night fall we were zombies due to lack of sleep.

THE RESORT
The resort is in average condition. I would guesstimate that they would need around 20 full time maintenance people just to maintain status quo at this huge resort. I only saw about 3 or 4. We found flower beds with weeds in them, loose or broken walkway tiles, lights out and areas that could use some general TLC, but overall it was very acceptable. There appeared to be some ongoing room renovations, but they kept it hidden from the guests.

The only areas at this entire resort that are air conditioned are the rooms, the rental car office and the dive shop. Otherwise, everything is an outdoor venue. However, with the steady ocean breeze we found the dining to be quite comfortable and relatively insect free. Just be prepared to dress comfortable and tolerate a little heat. The giant lobby is completely open air, but it is so far removed from the main resort that we only went there once or twice in a week.

The pool is large and is a nice area to relax . . . except when the local youth are dominating the place. I guess you can’t blame a resort for trying to help out the locals, but count on anywhere from 5 to 15 local kids to be running around the pool on weekends and a few other times. There is an odd sort of spa or sitting area in the center of the pool. I would not go near there because the kids hung out there and the water was very suspicious looking, if you know what I mean.

The beach is adequate for a dive resort and the Coconut Crash Bar is located right on the beach. Entry into the water is somewhat rocky so take water shoes for sure. The beach is more suited for snorkeling and diving than walking in the sand. The only time we found the beach chairs to be full was on cruise ship day. Plaza Resort has some sort of mutual agreement ($$) to allow cruise passengers to use the facilities. That was really a very minor inconvenience.

Someone asked me to compare this resort to Hotel Cozumel. I would say that this resort is about twice as large, has much better food, a better beach layout, but the pool is not as good. I would definitely rank Plaza Resort Bonaire a step above Hotel Cozumel.

THE ROOM
We were in a ground floor Junior Suite with a lagoon view (or more precisely a marina view) in the 3000 building. The room had been upgraded and was very nice. As far as room selection, most of the lagoon or marina view rooms (2000 or 3000 buildings) are pretty equal and have similar views. However, the ocean view rooms from 3001 to 3006 are obstructed by the Coconut Crash Bar and chairs and umbrellas. Try to get an ocean view room above 3006 for the best view. Basically, all pool view rooms have a poor view no matter what. The landscaping is large and blocks view of the pool from the ground floor rooms and you cannot see the ocean. Just an FYI, the 2000 building (Lagoon or Pool View) is closest to the dive shop and parking lot.

You could tell that a lot of money was spent renovating the Junior Suite rooms. The furniture was just as the internet photos show and the bathroom had a huge tub and glass enclosed rainfall shower. The shower had a bit of a design flaw that allows water to splash out on the floor in the bathroom. Just keep one of their huge hand towels down there to absorb the water and don’t fret about it. Note that wash clothes are not provided. We bought two cheap wash clothes before leaving and just left them in the room. This is some sort of European thing I was told.

There is a separate toilet room with a toilet and hand wash sink. This would allow for privacy for those traveling with someone other than a spouse or immediate family. Note to Plaza Resort, there are no towel racks in the newly renovated guest room toilet room or bath room. This appears to be an oversight considering how much time and money must have been spent on these rooms.

Our room had a nice view of a working marina and I like boats so it suited me just fine. Others may want to upgrade to an ocean view. There was a large patio with two chairs and a table. However, we really didn’t use the patio much since we were on the go all week diving, eating and drinking. We found those activities to be quite fulfilling with the all-inclusive package.

The beds were large and comfortable. The mattresses could have been softer, but I had no trouble sleeping after a hard day of diving, eating and drinking. Do you see the pattern here? The lighting in the room is pretty dim. Over the beds is nice lighting, but near the dressing area you could barely see to open the safe. There are standard American electrical outlets throughout the renovated rooms. I am not sure if it was 50 or 60 Hz power, but most modern electronics can use either.

The room had a very good digital safe and it did have a hair dryer which pleased the wife. The rooms are very large and the air conditioner worked very well in our room. One day I woke up with condensate dripping from the A/C unit, but that was my own fault for setting it to 16 degrees Celsius. My wife had to explain to me that it should be set around 22 degrees for normal room temperature.

Note to Plaza Resort, please add dive gear drying racks on the patio or balcony. There is no place at all to hang up wet suits and swim suits. This is further aggravated by the fact that the dive shop has very limited drying areas. For a dive resort there should be more accommodation for drying dive gear. Even some wooden slats mounted from wall to wall on the patio would be perfect.

THE FOOD
The all-inclusive package at Plaza Resort allows guests to eat at either the Banana Tree Restaurant or the Coconut Crash Bar. Basically, you can order sandwiches and pizza at the Coconut Crash Bar for lunch. You will want to eat breakfast and dinner at the Banana Tree. The Banana Tree is a very nice outdoor venue with some very good dishes on the menu for dinner. We had steak, pasta, salads, seafood and it was all very good. Breakfast is buffet style and they have all the usual suspects including omelets and fried eggs. Service at the Banana Tree was pretty slow.

All-inclusive guests can also eat dinner at the Tipsy Seagull and receive a $36 credit per person off the price of dinner. We ate there on lobster night and had lobster/steak/fish, a couple of drinks and dessert and it cost us about $25 for two people. This is a good deal for those who want an upscale dining experience while seated directly on the water. The view is great from the Tipsy Seagull.

This is my main objection to the Plaza Resort All-Inclusive Plan
. PLEASE JUST QUIT IT WITH THE FOOD AND DRINK TICKETS!!!! Every single time you get a drink or food you have to sign a ticket. We all know the reason for the tickets is to guilt the guests into adding a tip for each and every drink. This actually became very old after signing about 50 tickets in one week. Every single time you have to show your wrist band and a paper voucher for each person. Come on, a paper voucher at a dive resort!! I got so tired of worrying where the darn voucher was and trying to keep it dry all week. This also slows down getting a drink at the bar and makes you wait 5 to 15 minutes after eating so that you can sign a darn ticket. Plaza Resort should just add a mandatory tip to all-inclusive packages and be done with it.

THE DIVE SHOP
Diving at Plaza Resort is with Toucan Divers. They operate a very nice dive shop with an amazing amount of rental gear and quanity of air and nitrox tanks. They kept more than an adequate supply of charged tanks on hand all week. They are very informal about the tanks and you can just walk up and grab one without any papers to sign or tank police watching you. Nitrox is free and they kept a good supply of nitrox available all week.

Many people chose to shore dive but we wanted to experience Bonaire boat diving since this was our first trip. They have two Island Hopper boats and a 42' Newton Dive Special. We were kind of shifted from boat to boat during the week but we were a small group of individual divers so that can be expected I guess.

The resort is very large. There is no way to avoid a lot of walking. The dive shop and parking lot are on the very outer edge of the resort. You must be very organized to enjoy this resort. You have to create a plan of action to avoid too many trips. You will want to pack your scuba gear and carry it with you to breakfast. The dive shop has lockers, but they clearly are not big enough for two divers and they only have enough lockers for sharing. We basically left our fins and regulators/computers in the lockers, hung up our BCD’s on drying racks and carried everything else to our room each day. The dive shop hanging area is very inadequate and will only accommodate about 10 divers’ gear and/or wet suits. If I had to suggest two things to Toucan Divers it would be to enlarge the equipment drying area and locker area.

This situation is further complicated by the fact that they have the big dive boat located on the other side of the marina because it will not fit under the bridge to get to the dive shop. If you are assigned to that boat you will need to walk to the dive shop to load your gear on a truck and then walk about 500 yards to get to the dive boat. We got switched from the dive shop boats to the marina boat and back to the dive shop boats all in one week.

The dive shop is well managed and the dive masters are experienced, knowledgeable and friendly. Once on a dive boat life is good. We thoroughly enjoyed the diving experience and the dive masters were very much interested in making sure that we had a good time. I was surprised that the dive shop hours were 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The dive boats leave at 8:30 a.m. so you have little time to solve any equipment issues or test nitrox tanks before the boats leave.

THE DIVING

We found the diving at Bonaire to be excellent. Since this was our first trip we were very pleased that we were able to dive the south sites, north sites and Klein Bonaire. We did one night shore dive to the Salt Pier (Shhhh! don't tell anyone!!) and it was really great. We believe this was a legal dive, but nobody could confirm this for us so we just did it. If you find out they are allowing this dive it is well worth it. We also dove the Hilma Hooker, but I was not overly excited. I'm not much of a wreck diver unless it is really an unusual ship wreck.

Viz was excellent all week at about 80 to 100'. The northern dive sites had better viz for this week. Klein Bonaire had much better viz on the north side than the south side for some reason. Water temp according to my computer was 82 degrees and it was very comfortable diving.

One thing about our dive masters on the boats was that they let us dive our computer profiles and were willing to let us extend to the max. Our average dive time was probably 65 minutes and we did one dive to 75 minutes. Everyone on our boat was an experienced diver and air comsumption was never an issue. That makes for some really nice long underwater excursions.

We have always been told that Bonaire is one of the top diving destinations in the world. We found that it is about equal to Cozumel and Little Cayman in enjoyment. Every dive destination has it's own personality and Bonaire seems to have amazing versatility of dive sites and a huge population of smaller fish. Other areas have more larger sealife such as grouper, eels, sharks and turtles, but Bonoaire makes up for it with quanity.

If you haven't been to Bonaire and are thinking about it. Go!!

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Plaza Resort Bonaire is a nice resort that just needs a little tweaking. The location is great and the new rooms are very nice. I could suggest a few things to them about each aspect of their operation to improve the overall guest experience. As I said at the beginning of this trip report, I would return to Plaza Resort with no hesitation based on the price of the current all-inclusive package. I also recommend Toucan Divers as a very good and professional dive operator.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 282
Nice report. We had a similar experience in June except we only had breakfast in our package. I plan to go again next summer and will probably stay at the Plaza unless slmeone has an extraordinary deal.

Similar to my recent experience at the Plaza.

I had the Jr suite that was closest to the diveshop (which was a convenience. Didn't have as fancy a bathroom, shower area is just tiled area with a slight incline to the drain, with some sloping glass block wall separating it from the rest of the bathroom. The drain never drained well because the direction of the water from the shower head kind of disrupted the vortex flow into the drain, or whatever it was. Plus using 12 in tiles in the tub caused slippery condition in which it caused me to do one of those 'slip on a banana peel' falls where I still have pain on my elbow (fractured?).

We were going to do a salt pier twilight shore dive, but the salt ship was there that day and we decided to do the invisible, but somebody forgot their regulator and had to go back to the resort for it, resulting in almost a night dive. Our DM didn't want to go back to the truck for a light so we didn't see much. They made it up with a boat dive where we jumped in Salt City, then drifted to Jeannie's Glory, passing by the Salt Pier on the way (we were told...shhh....Must be Jackson with the shhhh).

The food was slow, we ate mostly at the Banana Tree and a few times we had to tell them we are in a rush because we have to catch afternoon boat dives. But supposedly, both Tipsy Seagull and Banana Tree are like the top 20 restaurant in Bonaire (if you got a change to flip thru some of the bonaire guide books in the room.

Did you get eat some lionfish? In our dives, if you spot the lionfish, the DM will frequently kill it, filet it and give it to you. Usually, I would just take a picture of them and move on, but my wife, after getting over the initial shock of them killing such beautiful creature, was actively pointing out each lionfish she sees.

Did you get eat some lionfish? In our dives, if you spot the lionfish, the DM will frequently kill it, filet it and give it to you. Usually, I would just take a picture of them and move on, but my wife, after getting over the initial shock of them killing such beautiful creature, was actively pointing out each lionfish she sees.

Oh I guess "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder..Try doing a night dive or pre dawn dive when they are really out on the reef. You'll see them for the alien destructive invaders they really are. Fortunately for us, they are "yummy" to eat.

We have always been told that Bonaire is one of the top diving destinations in the world. We found that it is about equal to Cozumel and Little Cayman in enjoyment. Every dive destination has it's own personality and Bonaire seems to have amazing versatility of dive sites and a huge population of smaller fish. Other areas have more larger sealife such as grouper, eels, sharks and turtles, but Bonoaire makes up for it with quanity.

If you haven't been to Bonaire and are thinking about it. Go!!

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Plaza Resort Bonaire is a nice resort that just needs a little tweaking. The location is great and the new rooms are very nice. I could suggest a few things to them about each aspect of their operation to improve the overall guest experience. As I said at the beginning of this trip report, I would return to Plaza Resort with no hesitation based on the price of the current all-inclusive package. I also recommend Toucan Divers as a very good and professional dive operator.
Thanks for the detailed report. The remodeled rooms definitely sound like an improvement over reports of the older rooms. I wonder if there's any way to determine in advance which room you get? When we stayed at Buddy, for instance, our room was definitely old and falling apart, yet others staying there reported brand-new remodeled rooms in excellent condition - they raved about theirs while we, who were paying the same price, grumbled about ours. It's my opinion that they should at least have two different price schemes for the old vs. the remodeled so it's not the case that some divers get excellent accommodation and other get shafted purely by the luck of the draw. I wouldn't stay at Buddy Dive again because of the condition of our room our first visit there and I've been reluctant about Plaza for the same reason.

As for enjoyment factor, you're right, it's hard to say that one is better than the others unless there's a clear contrast (whereas it's a no-brainer to say that Bonaire is better diving than San Juan, PR, for instance). That's why my last trip was to Cozumel. It's nice for a change, and personally I can't understand why some people return to the same place time after time without giving other locales a chance. However, at least speaking for myself, a lot of the enjoyment I get out of Bonaire vs. Cozumel, say, and why I actually give Bonaire a slight edge on overall enjoyment, is due to the shore diving "freedom" concept: if you do it on your own, you don't have to worry about 8:30 boat times, you don't have to worry about being allowed to dive your own profile as long as you want, where you want, etc. And if you're into solitude as I am, you can often complete an entire dive without seeing anyone else but your buddy (not even your buddy if you go solo). So while I agree that there's excellent stuff to see underwater in Coz (and Little Cayman as well, though I've never been) and the topside atmosphere can be great as well, Bonaire is special because of the relatively unique ability to easily shore dive most of the same sites that the boats go to (if you don't care about Klein) whereas most other vaunted dive locales of the world revolve around rigidly scheduled boat diving with the occasionally house reef shore dive.

Plaza resort has pricing for Premium Grand Suites. These are the remodeled rooms and you have a choice of ocean view or lagoon (marina) view. Personally, I didn't want to pay the $250 per person upcharge for the ocean view room. That's about $72 per night for two people to be able to see the ocean. I spent most of my down time at the Coconut Crash Bar anyway and I could see the ocean from there.

IMHO it is well worth the upcharge for the remodeled rooms (Premium Grand Suites), but not for the ocean view. But, if you want to see the ocean and have the coin, go for it.

Report sounds right on with what we experienced. The one big negative you didn't mention that maybe they changed was they had some crazy policy of policing the beach all the time demanding proof you being a guest. I can't tell you how annoying it got to be enjoying the beach, reading a book, being on the verge of falling asleep for a nice nap and having some resort employee come up to you demanding your proof of being a guest a couple of times a day.

We did the salt pier twice, once during the day, once as a night shore dive (I asked around and was told there were no restrictions if there was no ship docked and didn't need any permission), I have to say the day dive was way more enjoyable then the night dive, strangely there were no Tarpon there at night, but a lot of them there during the day. Part of the beauty of the salt pier to me is the sunlight interaction and shadowing of the pier columns which of course you lose during a night dive. The beauty of a night dive is the different creatures coming out. Have to say the beauty of the pier during the day to me is a stronger draw.

South 4 scuba, did I read it right you only did a couple of shore dives and did mostly boat diving? Boy, if I read that right you sure need to get back and explore shore diving. I think you missed the best of what Bonaire has to offer, but it's there waiting for you and your next trip.

I did mostly boat dives too, with all 12 included boat dives and 8 shore dives. The only thing with the shore dives are the mosquitos that swarms and glues onto you the moment you get out of the car or water.

Did you get to any frogfish or seahorse? That seems to the only proliferating things there (rare creatures with more than 1 sighting).

I did mostly boat dives too, with all 12 included boat dives and 8 shore dives. The only thing with the shore dives are the mosquitos that swarms and glues onto you the moment you get out of the car or water.
Mosquitos aren't a bad problem much of the year on the "desert" island of Bonaire, usually only proliferating after it's been raining. In case you didn't know, there are many products on the market that are sold specifically for the purpose of warding off mosquitoes, some of which actually work. Get enough DEET all over you and the mosquitoes won't even know you're there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom