Playa del Carmen - when ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have stayed at the northern end of PDC (Punta Maroma) - PDC covers a long stretch. Diving there was not too impressive to me in Oct/Nov. Water was warm 82-86º but visibility was not great - 20-40'. Just north of PDC is Puerto Morelos. Diving is in a protected marine park - nice wreck and reef. Visibility was good and water temp at 80º in Mar/Apr. Agree with others about diving in Cozumel over PDC, but if staying in PDC, I wouldn't want to take a ferry everyday I was diving (but you should do it once if you've not been to Coz before) - a taxi ride to Puerto Morelos isn't bad and it's a neat little town.

I'll add a vote for Puerto Morelos. I did a few nice dives there (Fish Market, and the C-56 wreck) and a lion fish hunt with Auquanauts. It was late September, water was warm and visibility was good but the current in places was ripping.

The diving in Cozumel is significantly nicer but the resorts there are a notch or three below what's available in Cancun.

You can take a speed boat from PDC to Cozumel. I did this with my normal cavern/cave guide. I think it was around 150 per person for a 2 tank private speedboat from PDC to Santa Rosa wall and the other reef we did in Cozumel.

Diving in Akumal is also a better option than PDC for reefs. There is only 1 reef in PDC and it has a swim through plenty of Moral Eeels and even had a 8' nurse shark sleeping last time we dove it. It is a very shallow reef most of it was around 20-30' max depth.

Tortuga and Barracuda reef is a much better dive than the normal PDC reef.

I go to PDC for the caves not the reefs though. I've been 5 times now since Last October it's my favorite place to vacation. Cheap awesome food (if you want a list of my favorites let me know), cheapest massages can't beat a $20 1hr massage after a dive, cheap booze and fairly safe place to visit and walk around. I usually walk around between 5th ave and 20th ave between 10th and 40th street.

If you want the loud club crazy night life go past 10th st while walking on 5th ave towards the ferry.... you can't miss it. I'm 35 but i'm to old for the rave loud music club stuff hah.
Have stayed at the northern end of PDC (Punta Maroma) - PDC covers a long stretch. Diving there was not too impressive to me in Oct/Nov. Water was warm 82-86º but visibility was not great - 20-40'. Just north of PDC is Puerto Morelos. Diving is in a protected marine park - nice wreck and reef. Visibility was good and water temp at 80º in Mar/Apr. Agree with others about diving in Cozumel over PDC, but if staying in PDC, I wouldn't want to take a ferry everyday I was diving (but you should do it once if you've not been to Coz before) - a taxi ride to Puerto Morelos isn't bad and it's a neat little town.

Never been in this area. Is there a better month or season for diving (sea, not cenotes) ?

Thank you for your returns
Avoid May-August unless you want to roast in 38+C air temps with 98% humidity. It can be done, its definitely off season for a reason

Back
Top Bottom