Playa del Carmen - when ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Playa and go directly to Coz. I would say summer is the best time to avoid getting blown out and the harbour closed but I'm sure someone on here can give you better dates than me.

I agree with @BoundForElsewhere that if you are sure you are not interested in cenotes, Cozumel, which is just a short ferry ride from Playa del Carmen, offers much better diving opportunities. As for timing, June-November is hurricane season in the Caribbean, so you might consider that. I have never been too concerned about avoiding hurricane season, but Mexico is a relatively inexpensive and nearby destination for me.

Good points above regarding Cozumel, but if you are set on coming to Playa the winter might be better. You get to see the bull sharks and other big marine life, the heat is not so overwhelming (or it is, but less so in the evening) and you are unlikely to run into sargasso at the beaches which will be looking their best.

Bull shark season is roughly November to April.

The bullshark dive is a deeper dive also if you aren't aware. bottom depth where they feed them is around 90Ft and current is strong so you go to the bottom and hold a rope in place and after you complete your NDL time limit portion you'll just do a drift dive as you ascend to surface. its a pretty cool dive.

Agree completely with skipping Playa entirely (if possible) and dive Cozumel. I did some diving in Puerto Aventuras, just south of Playa del Carmen, and could not have been more disappointed.

The bullshark dive is a deeper dive also if you aren't aware. bottom depth where they feed them is around 90Ft and current is strong so you go to the bottom and hold a rope in place and after you complete your NDL time limit portion you'll just do a drift dive as you ascend to surface. its a pretty cool dive.
nice !

Have stayed at the northern end of PDC (Punta Maroma) - PDC covers a long stretch. Diving there was not too impressive to me in Oct/Nov. Water was warm 82-86º but visibility was not great - 20-40'. Just north of PDC is Puerto Morelos. Diving is in a protected marine park - nice wreck and reef. Visibility was good and water temp at 80º in Mar/Apr. Agree with others about diving in Cozumel over PDC, but if staying in PDC, I wouldn't want to take a ferry everyday I was diving (but you should do it once if you've not been to Coz before) - a taxi ride to Puerto Morelos isn't bad and it's a neat little town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom