Playa del Carmen Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have enjoyed all of your daily trip reports now for sometime, and my wife and I are planning a trip April 23-28th. We have dove Cozumel a few times, but have never dove the mainland side at all, and are looking to book with someone. I have checked out your home website, but I have a few questions---where exactly are you located, where do you load your boats, is it by pier entry, or shore entry ? And last of all, what kind of boats do you have, and how many divers do you typically take out on a boat ?? Thank you in advance for all the info!!

Hi I just PM'd you and if you have any questions about my message, please feel free to ask. Talk to you soon.

March 3, 2009: Tortugas and Sabalos

Today in the morning it was freezing. The temp was 69F/21C and the wind was blowing 8mph/7knots from the NNE. The skies were clear though and the water was flat. A bit of a cold front moved in and should be here for a couple more days.

Tortugas was great once again. We saw 6 turtles in total and got some nice pictures of a few for Susanna's AOW Underwater Photography portion. Visibility was pretty good at about 70-75ft/21-23m. Current was ripping today and has been for the last few days. Surprisingly it hasn't affected the visibility too much.

Sabalos was awesome today. Tons of fish as usual and we saw 3 turtles. Visibility was about 60ft/18m. During our surface interval a turtle surfaced no more than 10 feet from our boat which was pretty cool for the customers to see. But no Whale Sharks today, maybe tomorrow.......ya right!

On deck for March 4, 2009: Mama Vina and Barracuda

March 4, 2009: Mama Vina and Shark Gardens

Little cold in the morning, but by the time of the dive it warmed up to about 73F/23C. The wind was blowing from the NE at 10.3mph/9knots. Kind of choppy on the way out, but not too bad.

Mama Vina was fantastic today. Right when we came around the Port there was a nice Loggerhead Turtles standing on all four fins getting cleaned by a school of Spanish Hogfish. Very cool, we sat there while the clients took pictures for about 5 minutes. Great school of Barracuda hovering over the ship and a couple Southern Stingrays. Visibility was at about 80ft/24m at our max depth which was 88ft/26m. Great dive to start the day off with.

Shark Gardens was not as much shark as it was gardens. It took some swimming, about 15 minutes worth, but we ran into 2 Bull Sharks and both were pretty hefty. I would say the first one was about 9ft/2.7m and the second was about 10ft/3, so most likely they were both females. I am glad we got to see them again, but I have a feeling the next time we go for a shark dive we are going to be left empty handed. We can go deeper and I think we will see them, but many today at 65ft/19.6m.

On deck for tomorrow March 5, 2009: Tortugas and Sabalos.

March 5, 2009: Tortugas and Barracuda

This morning was kind of overcast, but still pretty nice. The wind was blowing from the ENE at 11.5mph/10knots and the waves we at 5ft/1.6m. The temperature at the time of the dive was 75F/24C.

Tortugas was great once again today. We saw 4 turtles and a school of huge Cubera Snapper. The visibility was no the best at about 60ft/18m since we stayed shallower today because of the skill level of the divers and the surge was pretty strong. But nonetheless the dive was great and I am so happy my mom is here diving with us again!

Barracuda was fantastic today. The visibility was great at about 80ft/24m and the way the sun was hitting the coral and depressions in the coral was something out of National Geographic. Tons of fish, crabs, lobsters, and two Hawksbill Turtles. Barracuda has been so nice lately and I hope it stays that way because it is really a treat to dive there at the moment.

On deck for March 6, 2009: Mama Vina and Sabalos

Off to Playa del Carmen on Saturday (3/14). Really looking forward to the diving. Will be posting a daily update at Academy of Scuba

Hello everyone, sorry for the lack of dive reports lately. My brother and I are currently in our IDC and haven't been diving at all. Too busy to even eat some days, but really fun and glad we are doing it. But the shop went out to Punta Venado and I hear it was a great time. Haha I hope Ed Hatfield comes on here and maybe puts a little about what he saw today and how the dive was. Well I get done the 22nd, and I might be posting here and there. Just didn't want you guys to think I forgot. Take care and happy diving!!!

I also want to thank you for the dive report updates. My wife and I will be spending 10 days in Playa towards the end of this summer and I will definitely be contacting Geofish to arrange some dives! I have sent a PM with some travel information and dialogue.

Thanks!

Just come back from Playa. Had a great time. Unfortunately I was sick all week and only managed 5 dives, 7 less then usual when in Mexico but oh well it happens. Had a fantastic time diving with Geofish, I will be recommending them to all my diving friends. As I said my schedule had changed and Geofish were very accommodating making sure I got wet and had fun. Will defiantly use them again on my next trip. hopefully this summer. The cenotes were fantastic ( my first cenotes) and the drift diving was fun. Love when I don't have to swim lol

Hey Conrad glad you got to dive even though you were under the weather. Look forward to seeing you guys soon. (Don't forget about the tattoo's). Hahaha

Almost done with the IDC so that means the Dive Reports will be coming back soon. I am so busy with studying I don't even know where we are diving every day. All I am thinking about right now is Physics and Briefings! Take care everyone and thank you to everyone for the good word that you have been spreading. Look forward to seeing all of you soon and happy diving.

Had a great trip with the GeoFish Dive Center guys. Max and Morgan were doing their IDC. Steve was running the shop and Irene and Gerrardo were working the boats. There is a lot going on with he GeoFish guys. All good stuff.

Our week was fantastic and filled with diving. If you want the full dive report, please go to http://www.academyofscuba.com/blog as I wrote just about every day.

Conditions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were about as good as I have ever seen in Playa! In fact, we were joking that it was now Lake del Carmen. We dove the Mama Vina, a couple of times, but on Thursday, we dove it and were stunned at how incredible the dive was. It was amazing!

On Friday, we went over to Cozumel. It was overcast and windy. But, we had a good time nonetheless. Didn't get to do the Cenotes, but we'll make up for it on the next trip.

Can't wait to go back. Thanks to GeoFish for the great time and incredible service!

Back
Top Bottom