Playa del Carmen Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

January13, 2009: Tortugas

Yesterday was great. Weather was great, the water was great and the visibility was almost great at about 65ft/20m. We saw 6 Hawksbill turtles and on Loggerhead. I love to see Loggerheads when they are around Hawksbills just because they both can be the same size and the Loggerhead will look so much bigger because of its massive head. Really beautiful animal and I always feel so lucky when I get to see these scarce animals. Great dive! No Tarpon this time.

Academy of Scuba: Phoenix AZ - Arizona's Dive Training Choice

January 14, 2009: Shark Gardens

Today the winds were blowing from the ESE at 14mph/12knots. We are trying to dive as many times with the sharks before they leave. The visibilty was back to great at about 75ft/23m. We saw 8 sharks and it's hard to believe that they will be gone soon. Great dive and an even more beautiful day. We will dive with them again on Monday and hopefully they will be there again.

Thanks for all the great dive reports I can,t wait to get there on Feb 26 and start diving!!
How has the water temp been? Should I bring my 3 or 5 mil suit?
I know I would like my 5mil for cenotes..

Glad you are enjoying the posts! The water has been around 75-77F/24-25C. You can feel the water slowly warming up and because of this the Tarpon have arrived and the Bulls will be leaving soon. I would bring your 5mm so you are nice and comfortable in the water. You would be surprised how cold you become on that second dive with the 3mm. And the 5mm should be fine for the Cenotes, but you can always bring a shorty from the shop to put over it. Hope this helps, safe travels!

Also everyone who checks this report, look for a Shark dive report in the next hour or two and the verdict will be in on whether they are still here. Stay tuned for another episode of Bull Shark diving in Playa del Carmen. Haha

February 17, 2009: Shark Gardens

Today is a gorgeous day. At the time of the morning dive the wind was blowing 10mph/9knots from the NE. The temperature was 75F/24C and the water temp was about 73F/23C so pretty chilly.

Well I have good news, the sharks are still here and as fat as ever! Saw about 6 different ones today that got very close, no more than 6ft/1.8m. The current was very strong today, but didn't have much affect on the visibility which was at about 60-65ft/18-19.6m. Great dive and one more day with the Bulls. Hope they stick around longer. Don't know where we are diving tomorrow, but we will stay up on the reports. Happy diving everyone.

February 17, 2009: Shark Gardens

Today is a gorgeous day. At the time of the morning dive the wind was blowing 10mph/9knots from the NE. The temperature was 75F/24C and the water temp was about 73F/23C so pretty chilly.

Well I have good news, the sharks are still here and as fat as ever! Saw about 6 different ones today that got very close, no more than 6ft/1.8m. The current was very strong today, but didn't have much affect on the visibility which was at about 60-65ft/18-19.6m. Great dive and one more day with the Bulls. Hope they stick around longer. Don't know where we are diving tomorrow, but we will stay up on the reports. Happy diving everyone.

I hauled out my ocean gear today and dove Jardines this afternoon - sharks, sharks, sharks, sharks! Big sharks, little sharks, everywhere sharks! Current was strong today - but what a fantastic dive!

January 19, 2009: Sabalos and Barracuda

Today was another beautiful day in paradise. The wind was a lot milder than yesterday, blowing at 10mph/9knots from the ESE. The temp at the time of the dive was 78F/26C. At Sabalos the visibility was around 60ft/18m. There were tons and tons of Mutton Snapper and Spotted and Green Moray Eels. Saw 4 Southern Stingrays all surrounded by Jacks looking for scraps.

At Barracuda the visibility was around 70ft/21m and was loaded with all kinds of life today. We saw 3 turtles and and free swimming 4ft/1.2m Green moray Eel. Great dive, 3 Lobster and at the Horseshoe the sponges and depressions were just full of Channel Clinging Crabs.

On Deck for February 20, 2009: Shark Gardens

Cross your fingers for us! Please be there, please be there, please be there!!!!!

February 20, 2009: Shark Gardens

This morning was a beautiful morning all around. The water was flat, the sun was shining, and we were headed to see the sharks. At the time of our dive the wind was blowing at 9.2mph/8knots from the ENE. The temperature was 77F/25C and not a cloud in the sky. Today was a very unusual dive. We dropped down and right away there were 2 sharks that stayed with us for about 15 minutes. But the weird part was the thermocline that we came upon. It was a vertical thermocline and while we were inside it the visibility was about 15-20ft/4.5-6m and when we were out of it the visibility was around 70ft/21m. The most important aspect of the dive though, was that the sharks are STILL HERE!! I really think it won't be for too much longer. They might still be here next week, but I predict that we will only see 2 or 3. So looks like we will just have to keep diving the Shark Gardens to see if they are still here for those of you who are coming down in the next couple weeks. Keep those fingers crossed!

A cold front is coming in at the moment. All of a sudden the clouds came in and the temperature dropped. Should be pretty chilly until the middle to end of next week. Not too much wind, just overcast and chilly.

I will be in Playa March 8 to 15th, 2009 Being from Canada, I am really looking forward to the WARM clear water LOL. I have not found a dive shop yet! I am staying at the Occidental Grad Xcaret ( it has a spa for my wife so I can dive LOL) I am looking at four days of ocean dives and one of cenotes...Can't wait ... 16 more sleeps LOL
I have really enjoyed you dive reports, thankyou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom