Playa del Carmen 08 Nov to 16 Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajcf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been to Playa before. Did nothing but cave diving ... Doing some ocean diving.

Staying at Riu Yucatan - Never stayed there before. Got a smoking deal. Good reviews on travelocity and other travel sites - Any Scubaboard input?

Diving with GeoFish Dive - I think they are new owners. I've always used ProTech. GeoFish were really responsive and well informed with emails. Custom tailored trip to my needs without any issues. Rates were very competitive! Any Scubaboard input?

Doing two dives in Cozumel with Deep Blue. Never used them either. I use a different operation in Coz when I stay there. They didn't email me back. Any Scubaboard input?

Plan on taking new wife cavern diving - she's never been. Also doing some ocean diving. Any must do sites?

If you are going to be in Playa, let me know. Maybe we can meet up!

jcf

We've stayed twice at Riu Palace Riviera Maya - and on our last stay we walked down the beach (and over the giant sandbags) all the way down to the end of the hotel district. We stopped at each Riu on the way back to sit in the pool and have a drink. I believe that you get to go to any of the Riu's for bar / pool buffet use but that MAY be only if you're at a Riu Palace (there are 5 Riu properties in very close proximity to each other). There is clearly a difference between the Riu Palace properties and the ClubHotel level, but that could also be because they're newer. All were clean, staffed with friendly bartenders and had great drinks! I've enjoyed the RPRM food each time we've been there, the rooms are GREAT (beds very hard though). Love the mini bar w/ full bottles and they kept the fridge stocked well. The specialty restaurants - some are better than others but all are good. The nightly buffet is also very good. We never paid too much attention to what they had planned each night for the buffets but wish we would have - they have some great sounding themed nights (including seafood) and heard great reports!

Can't comment on GeoFish. I only dive with Jason @ FantaseaDive when I'm there. Can't beat his service. I had really nice dives at Cerebros and Jardines, this last time I also really enjoyed Islote and Punta Vendados, both are south of Mama Vina. Los Arcos is a deep dive that I'd love to do again - its supposed to be very nice, however, we had to spend some time doing the Deep Dive portion of my AOW cert and I wasn't very good with air at this depth for the first time so we didn't get to complete much of the site.

The last time we were there Jason also set me up w/ Klaus and Luis from Playa Scuba to run me down to Dos Ojos for some Cenote diving. That was great as well! Had a wonderful time and Luis was great. Dos Ojos was very easy for a first time in the Cenotes. I'd like to go again to another spot next time I'm down there.

Enjoy!

As far as Cozumel is concerned you cannot beat Aldora Divers. Go to aldora.com they are ly the best. I'll be Playa the week after you, sorry. During your week I'll be in Xcalak. Can't wait. Have fun

Hey, John, I'm envious. I can't comment on most of your requests. I haven't stayed at Riu Yucatan, but haven't heard anything bad about them. I've also not done any OW diving in PDC. As for cenotes, my sister and her fiance did a cavern dive at Taj Maja last year and absolutely loved it. They said the cenote was incredible. I'd also recommend Ponderosa for the halocline effect and Grande Cenote just because there's so much to it. I don't know if you plan on doing all guided dives, but if you get a rental car, Grande Cenote is easy to find and easy to dive without a guide. Only $10/100pesos per diver. Wish I was going to be there, too.

Hey Rob, Sorry I missed you at DEMA. I've done Taj about 10 times. It is one of my favorite Cave Dive in Playa area. Ponderosa is a great cavern because of the two wells. That was my first Cenote dive.

Taking my better half with me, so we will be mostly in Caverns on this trip. I am planning Dos Ojos, Ponderosa and probably Chak-Mool. Developing a new cave buddy :wink:

Like you, every time I've been down there, I have dove the Cenotes. This will be my first Ocean trip. We are doing two days of diving in Playa and a single day out at Cozumel (my fiance has never been to Cozumel).

Next trip, we'll make it down to Florida and let you and Jen guide us around .... :D

Sounds like a fun trip. Definitely let me know when you're ready to see the other side of cave diving... :wink:

I have stayed at a couple of the RUI hotels and they were great, I have not stayed at that one but I will bet it is fine.

I don't know about GeoFish Dive I have stayed in playa many times but never dove with them, I can recommend Fantasea or Abyss Dive center.

I can highly recommend Deep Blue, I have dove with them several times and I know you will like them.

Hope this helps. Have fun....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom