Plastic or aluminum body?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had 2 plastic housing UK dive lights flood in past years. None of my aluminum dive lights have ever had an issue.

comparing apples to oranges.

I doubt they flooded due to them being plastic, unless you actually broke the body of the light - which would be described differently than just flooding. Most lights flood do to a bad or misplaced o ring, or some sort of o ring compromise.

Delrin, aluminum - really doesnt matter. They are all corrosion resistant and will stand up to abuse. Its all personal preference.

One advantage I can think of, for HIgh powerful lights - is that with aluminum, I think it offers better heat dissipation if used in the head VS delrin.

I've had 2 UK lights flood now also. I dont believe it was due to being plastic think they flooded through the on off switch both times. My lights of choice are now aluminium with magnetice switched. I just think the alluminium are sturdier and more reliable overall.

A durable plastic like delrin is the way to go. Aluminum will corrode quickly in a salt water environment.

Dont mean to bash a dead horse but all my lights are aluminium and some older than 6 years and none of them have "corroded". I don't baby them either, a quick rinse after each dive, good to go.

Back
Top Bottom