Plastic or aluminum body?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is plastic or aluminum in a light body any better for any reason? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the DRIS 1000, but it seems much heavier than comparable plastic bodied lights. The last thing I want is to be dragging around unnecessary weight.

I like aluminum lights. I have had a bunch of plastic lights and none of them have survived.

That light will not be a problem with the weight. I carry 2 and do not notice them.

Just my 2cents. Good luck.

I'd expect aluminum is more durable in theory, though unless you're abusing a light I wouldn't expect plastic to be a problem - I've had plastic lights for years and never any issues related to the case. If you are traveling by air weight matters. If you're diving local doesn't matter, it's not going to feel as heavy underwater.

A durable plastic like delrin is the way to go. Aluminum will corrode quickly in a salt water environment.

I have 2 DRIS 1000s and the 1k Shorty. All 3 go on every dive with me and they have no corrosion. I think these are fantastic lights for the price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I've had 2 plastic housing UK dive lights flood in past years. None of my aluminum dive lights have ever had an issue.

every pound of weight you carry in usable gear is a pound of dead weight you can take off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom