Plastic is suffocating the oceans and the diving industry is culpable.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Bantin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Since I took a part-time job in a big dive store (after I retired from full-time diving), I've been shocked at the amount of disposable plastic used by the diving industry. It made me write an article about it for Undercurrent. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but here it is anyway! Plastic is Suffocating the Ocean: Undercurrent 01/2018

Great article - thanks for the link.

Glitter boobs seem to be the rage recently and now I have a valid reason to protest this phenomena without appearing to be sexist.

You don't like glitter boobs?

See, I have a hard time with that one because I do like glitter boobs, but I know where the glitter ends up. Thankfully, there are now degradable glitters on the market so that ecologically aware lechers can enjoy glitter too.

Biodegradable glitter. Eco-Glitter for the eco-conscious

I frequent a Thai restaurant and the people at the front finally get that I don't want a plastic bag (bring my own) nor any utensils and straw for Pad Thai and Thai Ice Tea. The food and drink already come in plastic containers and I'm just taking it home anyway. The kitchen, however, started wrapping both items together with Saran Wrap to help me out... argh...

You don't like glitter boobs?

See, I have a hard time with that one because I do like glitter boobs, but I know where the glitter ends up. Thankfully, there are now degradable glitters on the market so that ecologically aware lechers can enjoy glitter too.

Biodegradable glitter. Eco-Glitter for the eco-conscious

I'm not going to answer that but happy to hear that biodegradable glitter is available.

The operators at Dive Tutukaka specifically ask us divers to collect any plastic or rubbish we find when diving at the Poor Knights. Happy to report it is a very rare find out there.

Outside of referencing a Kardashian, nice timely article. Hopefully your article, and the voices of divers, can begin to institute the replacement of plastics in packaging in the diving industry as well as other aspects of daily living.

After a few years of persistence, our town has recently joined neighboring towns in the removal of plastic bags at local supermarkets and stores. Though this may sound like a trivial improvement, as a diver I continue to see plastic bags on shore and/or in our waters on the majority of my local shore dives.

I personally try to eliminate plastics by using a reusable coffee mug, a reusable water bottle, metal cutlery that I keep in suitcase and car, and canvas bags but still admittedly, there is too much plastic in one's life to go completely without. Sadly that even with these personal attempts, my plastic recycle bin is always full well before my refuse trash bag is.

Sussing out the Sins of the City from their Sewers: Get your mind INTO the gutter:

New Orleans pulls 93,000 pounds of Mardi Gras beads from storm drains

What Simmering Secrets do your hometown’s catch basins Store?
I've done my part several times at those parades--in Nola, Mobile, PCB, and Destin. I always filled my Master Scuba Diver backpack with beads (only the good ones)--which came with my MSD cert., along with certificate suitable for framing.

If it is disposable plastic rather than recyclable then the manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves, otherwise they are in the same boat as other manufacturers where they need packaging that protects and displays their product.

Although I also believe scuba manufacturers should lead by example in protecting the oceans, but at a little over .008% of the retail sales in the US, the SCUBA industry is a drop in the bucket as far as the problem is concerned.

I try to avoid plastic, but it's not possible to do and lead a normal life in the US at this point in time. I recycle and have been known to pick up after others, as I hate littering, but I can only do what I can do. I believe most reasonable people would do the same.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom