Plants on the Bottom that Cozumel Dive Masters use for Defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking about what was used (and it's been a long time), but I don't think we used the flat top bristle brush. I think we used the bristle ball brush (penicillus dumetosus). The one we used did not have the cup shape. If the one you described above was used then it is the flat top. Both might work and are both algae and same phylum.

I've been thinking about what was used (and it's been a long time), but I don't think we used the flat top bristle brush. I think we used the bristle ball brush (penicillus dumetosus). The one we used did not have the cup shape. If the one you described above was used then it is the flat top. Both might work and are both algae and same phylum.
So do you do it at depth? Grab some underwater weed, take off mask, rub weed on inside of lens, put mask back on, and purge mask?

Yes, the one our dive guide used was definitely had the flat top and the cup shape. It actually worked quite well.

So do you do it at depth? Grab some underwater weed, take off mask, rub weed on inside of lens, put mask back on, and purge mask?
Yes, that's exactly how our dive guide had us use it (rub the flat top of the algae on the inside of the mask lens). The mask my son had at the time was bad to fog up even after applying anti-fog before each dive (which we did), and this worked better than anything.

Those are absolutely everywhere in the shallows but I'm not seeing a Reese's cup. Lol.
:) Well, it does depend on the angle of view, and that was as close as I could get to describing it -- flat top, wider at the top than the bottom, couldn't think of a better description (but there probably is one). Yes, they are abundant in many of the shallow or sandy areas near the reefs.

Exactly, it is more of an emergency measure if you have severe fogging issue. Haven't had to use it as I found a good routine that prevents my (and others that I have done) mask from fogging for the last few years

Exactly, it is more of an emergency measure if you have severe fogging issue. Haven't had to use it as I found a good routine that prevents my (and others that I have done) mask from fogging for the last few years
Same for us -- my son has a different mask now and doesn't have a fogging problem. But when we learned of this plant we were newer divers and the fogging mask was a bit disorienting for him.

FYI. I have well north of 1,000 dives in Cozumel and have never seen a DM use anything from bottom to defog their mask.

I guess some might use it if they forgot to use soap/baby shampoo/defog on the boat. Strongly recommend you just use one of those and avoid breathing exhaling repeatedly from nose.

Yes, this post is somewhat sarcastic —but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. .Using something from bottom is seriously your 4th or 5th best option. Not commenting on environmental friendliness—just mean if you need a serious defog mid-dive in 80 degree water you have really screwed up your pre-dive. I would focus on getting pre-dive right as opposed to worrying about how to fix a pre-dive error underwater. Also check out recommendations for breaking in a mask (toothpaste etc )

Apologize again for the tone of this response , I just fear your question is leading you and others down the wrong path.

FYI. I have well north of 1,000 dives in Cozumel and have never seen a DM use anything from bottom to defog their mask.

I guess some might use it if they forgot to use soap/baby shampoo/defog on the boat. Strongly recommend you just use one of those and avoid breathing exhaling repeatedly from nose.

Yes, this post is somewhat sarcastic —but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. .Using something from bottom is seriously your 4th or 5th best option. Not commenting on environmental friendliness—just mean if you need a serious defog mid-dive in 80 degree water you have really screwed up your pre-dive. I would focus on getting pre-dive right as opposed to worrying about how to fix a pre-dive error underwater. Also check out recommendations for breaking in a mask (toothpaste etc )

Apologize again for the tone of this response , I just fear your question is leading you and others down the wrong path.
I simply asked for the name of the plant, and as said above I was not advocating for anyone to use it. As stated above, my son did everything he could pre-dive and still had a bad fog problem with his mask when at depth (also stated above: he changed masks and no longer has that problem).

Back
Top Bottom