plans fell through - any thoughts for last minute post-christmas solo trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bassplayer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had booked a trip to Bonaire with my brother, but he can't make it now due to a new job starting up. Not that thrilled with the idea of going to Bonaire solo and staying in a condo. Already canceled my lodging and rental truck, and the flight costs are changable without penalty. (not changed yet). Tried reaching out to Buddy Dive because was thinking between boat trips and meeting people there, a solo trip might work better, but for now they have no availability.

The facts:
I have vacation time from Dec 24-Jan 5 already reserved. could tweak that by a few days on each end
Not extremely price sensitive, was looking to spend a few thousand on accomodation+diving but not 10k :)
I live in Phoenix

What i'm seeing:
Looks like everyone in the world is finally traveling for this holiday period, so everything is booked up pretty solid.
I saw what looked to be open space on the dec 25 Turks and Caicos explorer online, but called them and they said there isn't actually space.
Flights to Asia look pretty bad right now, most of the remaining options are nightmare 35 hour multiconnections death marches. So, was leaning toward the carribean.
I've been to Cozumel twice in a row so leaning toward something different.

Right now, my plan is to keep looking for cancelations to open up, either with Buddy Dive or similar (and then keep the Bonaire flight), or on a good Carribean liveaboard.

Might also consider another carribean dive resort.

Input and suggestions welcome! Is there some kind of last minute liveaboard notification site i should be watching? What would the seasoned travelers here do if you were in my shoes?

I had booked a trip to Bonaire with my brother, but he can't make it now due to a new job starting up. Not that thrilled with the idea of going to Bonaire solo and staying in a condo. Already canceled my lodging and rental truck, and the flight costs are changable without penalty. (not changed yet). Tried reaching out to Buddy Dive because was thinking between boat trips and meeting people there, a solo trip might work better, but for now they have no availability.

The facts:
I have vacation time from Dec 24-Jan 5 already reserved. could tweak that by a few days on each end
Not extremely price sensitive, was looking to spend a few thousand on accomodation+diving but not 10k :)
I live in Phoenix

What i'm seeing:
Looks like everyone in the world is finally traveling for this holiday period, so everything is booked up pretty solid.
I saw what looked to be open space on the dec 25 Turks and Caicos explorer online, but called them and they said there isn't actually space.
Flights to Asia look pretty bad right now, most of the remaining options are nightmare 35 hour multiconnections death marches. So, was leaning toward the carribean.
I've been to Cozumel twice in a row so leaning toward something different.

Right now, my plan is to keep looking for cancelations to open up, either with Buddy Dive or similar (and then keep the Bonaire flight), or on a good Carribean liveaboard.

Might also consider another carribean dive resort.

Input and suggestions welcome! Is there some kind of last minute liveaboard notification site i should be watching? What would the seasoned travelers here do if you were in my shoes?
Jan 9 cruise Celebrity.jpg

12 days 7 dive sites ? WARM WATERS

what am i looking at here? sounds promising
Jan 9 Celebrity Equinox out of Ft Lauderdale down to WARM waters Amigo been to them all except maybe St Croix.

Jan 9 Celebrity Equinox out of Ft Lauderdale down to WARM waters Amigo been to them all except maybe St Croix.
that looks pretty great, maybe next year :) - my date range is based on the fact that i get christmas to new years off work and can put a few days of vacation on either side of it

Did you see any large fish while diving ?
saw a few - some barracuda, a few snappers and groupers. some good sized reef fish as well (parrots, queen angelfish etc)
also not sure if its what you meant, but technically they are fish?: some reef sharks (and of course nurse sharks), some big morays, and quite a few eagle rays.

that looks pretty great, maybe next year :) - my date range is based on the fact that i get christmas to new years off work and can put a few days of vacation on either side of it
Unfortunately this cruise is special rarely do you get these islands in a single cruise.. Got a place on the Yucatan $1,200 a week no kitchen or a 2 bedroom full kitchen sleeps 6 $2000 Vidanta Resort Yucatan resort available

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom