Planning Western Caribbean Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did almost the exact itinerary over New Years. We dove every port except 1 where we got blown out due to weather. Here was my write up. let me know if you have any other questions...

So rolled back in last night. We had five ports and were scheduled to dive in all of them but only dove in four of them (more on that in a minute).
Let me start out with this...I can see why some people like the cruise ship option. It allows a big group of people with diverse interests to hang out together without anyone being alienated. That being said it is probably not for my wife and I. It was not that we did not enjoy it. It's not that the staff was not very accommodating. We have really turned into folks that that want to dive as much as possible and view the extra travel time as lost opportunities to be making bubbles.
I think it is also fair to say that by only getting in a port for a day at a time we lose the opportunity to see some of the dive sites that are off the beaten path or take more time to access. We went through the ship to dive three of the stops. The other two I contacted and dealt with directly.

Cozumel - (ship) I'm sorry to say that off the top of my head I do not remember the name of this dive shop that contracted with the NCL. I even got a stamp from them that I have in a bag somewhere. Anyway, they were what you expect to get in Cozumel. Professional and knowledgeable. 2 tank drift dives and nothing out of the ordinary except toward the end of the 2nd tank we happened upon the largest loggerhead turtle I have ever seen. I stretched out to gauge the size it was as long as I am tall plus or minus a few inches and I am 6'3". What a wonderful sight to behold for the couple of minutes that it hung out with us until swimming off.

George Town - Contracted with Off the Wall Divers. We did not get to dive due to weather. This one really bummed me since I had heard so much about the diving in Grand Caymen. The folks at Off The Wall had been very easy to contact and arrange through and seemed to have a good plan until our ship had to make for a tendered port on the other side of the island. When that happened everything just started to turn to poo. Thought we were still going to get our dives in since the weather had not hit yet but I think between us getting diverted and them trying to service the other ships that were in port it just didn't work. Off The Wall kept us pretty well up to date on the status which was pleasing and I would certainly give them another chance when we make it back there one day.

Roatan Bay - (ship) Dive was handled by Anthony's Key Resort. It is easy to see why they get top marks for service because theirs was top notch. I was a little disappointed that we dove a reef there on the SW side of the island close to the cruise ship. Not because it was bad but just because I had heard so much about the diving on the other side of the island. Once again I understand that you just have to take what you can get when you have a time limitation. We did 2 tanks. One on a wall that had a hard bottom of about 120' and the other on the reef that fed down to the way. Both good dives but nothing in particular stood out.

Harvest Caye - Contracted with Splash Dive Center. Not sure where to begin this one because there is a lot. I did not realize that Harvest Caye is actually a private island of Norwegian Cruise Lines and thus up until a month ago there was no great way to get off that island and access everything else. I contacted Ralph with Splash eight months ago and he had told me that at that point they couldn't accommodate us diving since there was no way for us to get off Harvest Caye. He told me that if anything changed he would keep my contact info and let me know. I thought to myself "ok sure you will". Fast forward to a month ago and out of the blue Ralph contacts me to tell me that there is not a shuttle that we can catch off the Cay to get us to Palencia Village where he can have his folks meet us and take us out. We were able to purchase the shuttle tickets on board the cruise line before we even got there. Transfers went off without a hitch and once we got to Palencia Village we were met by not only a boat from Splash but also Ralph (who as I understand it is either part owner or he and the owner are married/a couple). Anyway, I began thanking him for working us into their schedule when he stopped me cold by thanking me and telling me that we were his guinea pigs. He went on to explain that they had never tried doing this with people off of a cruise line so he was going to see if it could be done. We proceeded to drive their boat an hour due NE to what we thought would be our only dive of the day. (They were so unsure about the timing that they would only commit to one tank dive and a snorkel to ensure that they could get us back in time to catch the boat.) On the way to the first dive site Ralph told us that the exchange had happened so easily that if we wanted to we could get a second tank dive in if we wanted to? He was so cute with the "if we wanted to". First tank was a dive on a wall. We broke for a surface interval were we went back to a small island 5 minutes away where a Belizian woman had been cooking BBQ chicken and had rice and beans. Talk about a great surface interval! Second tank was done on the sloping sands that headed toward the wall of the first dive. What impressed me so much about both of these dives was that there was SO MUCH soft coral everywhere. Almost on top of each other. I personally had never seen so much in one place. Another personal highlight for me was seeing a male and female puffer fish together. I have seen both separately but never moving together. I could have spent my entire dive just watching them! They got us back to the dock in plenty of time to catch the shuttle back over to Harvest Caye. We will definitely be going back to Belize and we will definitely deal with Splash Dive Center when we do!

Costa Maya - (ship) Dive was handled by Dreamtime Dive Center. I have zero complaints about this dive operation they met us off the ship in a timely manner, got us trucked to their shop where gear was all laid out for those that needed it. We geared up, went right to the boat that is across the street and onto the reef which takes about 3 minutes. This reef also feeds to a wall which we did on one tank and the reef on the other. One thing that I would bring up is and I am not sure who to lay this blame on. Due to time constraints and them needing to get us back to the boat we had to cut our second dive short. Heck I came up with more than half a tank and that's saying something! I would rather get back to the boat and chunk 20 minutes of air but it still hacked me off a little. We had a smaller time window to hit in that port and were about an hour later getting docked. Just seems like someone missed the mark on it. I am inclined to say something to the cruise lines so they can try to do better the next time. I don't think the dive center could have done anything different to conserve any time.

Maybe this will help some others who are looking at diving from the cruise ship. Like I said earlier to the wife and I, a cruise seems to be a taxi cab with a buffet so we will probably not be going that route again although it did allow us to dive in a number of different places and make some good contacts to go back on our own.

Did almost the exact itinerary over New Years. We dove every port except 1 where we got blown out due to weather. Here was my write up. let me know if you have any other questions...

So rolled back in last night. We had five ports and were scheduled to dive in all of them but only dove in four of them (more on that in a minute).
Let me start out with this...I can see why some people like the cruise ship option. It allows a big group of people with diverse interests to hang out together without anyone being alienated. That being said it is probably not for my wife and I. It was not that we did not enjoy it. It's not that the staff was not very accommodating. We have really turned into folks that that want to dive as much as possible and view the extra travel time as lost opportunities to be making bubbles.
I think it is also fair to say that by only getting in a port for a day at a time we lose the opportunity to see some of the dive sites that are off the beaten path or take more time to access. We went through the ship to dive three of the stops. The other two I contacted and dealt with directly.

Cozumel - (ship) I'm sorry to say that off the top of my head I do not remember the name of this dive shop that contracted with the NCL. I even got a stamp from them that I have in a bag somewhere. Anyway, they were what you expect to get in Cozumel. Professional and knowledgeable. 2 tank drift dives and nothing out of the ordinary except toward the end of the 2nd tank we happened upon the largest loggerhead turtle I have ever seen. I stretched out to gauge the size it was as long as I am tall plus or minus a few inches and I am 6'3". What a wonderful sight to behold for the couple of minutes that it hung out with us until swimming off.

George Town - Contracted with Off the Wall Divers. We did not get to dive due to weather. This one really bummed me since I had heard so much about the diving in Grand Caymen. The folks at Off The Wall had been very easy to contact and arrange through and seemed to have a good plan until our ship had to make for a tendered port on the other side of the island. When that happened everything just started to turn to poo. Thought we were still going to get our dives in since the weather had not hit yet but I think between us getting diverted and them trying to service the other ships that were in port it just didn't work. Off The Wall kept us pretty well up to date on the status which was pleasing and I would certainly give them another chance when we make it back there one day.

Roatan Bay - (ship) Dive was handled by Anthony's Key Resort. It is easy to see why they get top marks for service because theirs was top notch. I was a little disappointed that we dove a reef there on the SW side of the island close to the cruise ship. Not because it was bad but just because I had heard so much about the diving on the other side of the island. Once again I understand that you just have to take what you can get when you have a time limitation. We did 2 tanks. One on a wall that had a hard bottom of about 120' and the other on the reef that fed down to the way. Both good dives but nothing in particular stood out.

Harvest Caye - Contracted with Splash Dive Center. Not sure where to begin this one because there is a lot. I did not realize that Harvest Caye is actually a private island of Norwegian Cruise Lines and thus up until a month ago there was no great way to get off that island and access everything else. I contacted Ralph with Splash eight months ago and he had told me that at that point they couldn't accommodate us diving since there was no way for us to get off Harvest Caye. He told me that if anything changed he would keep my contact info and let me know. I thought to myself "ok sure you will". Fast forward to a month ago and out of the blue Ralph contacts me to tell me that there is not a shuttle that we can catch off the Cay to get us to Palencia Village where he can have his folks meet us and take us out. We were able to purchase the shuttle tickets on board the cruise line before we even got there. Transfers went off without a hitch and once we got to Palencia Village we were met by not only a boat from Splash but also Ralph (who as I understand it is either part owner or he and the owner are married/a couple). Anyway, I began thanking him for working us into their schedule when he stopped me cold by thanking me and telling me that we were his guinea pigs. He went on to explain that they had never tried doing this with people off of a cruise line so he was going to see if it could be done. We proceeded to drive their boat an hour due NE to what we thought would be our only dive of the day. (They were so unsure about the timing that they would only commit to one tank dive and a snorkel to ensure that they could get us back in time to catch the boat.) On the way to the first dive site Ralph told us that the exchange had happened so easily that if we wanted to we could get a second tank dive in if we wanted to? He was so cute with the "if we wanted to". First tank was a dive on a wall. We broke for a surface interval were we went back to a small island 5 minutes away where a Belizian woman had been cooking BBQ chicken and had rice and beans. Talk about a great surface interval! Second tank was done on the sloping sands that headed toward the wall of the first dive. What impressed me so much about both of these dives was that there was SO MUCH soft coral everywhere. Almost on top of each other. I personally had never seen so much in one place. Another personal highlight for me was seeing a male and female puffer fish together. I have seen both separately but never moving together. I could have spent my entire dive just watching them! They got us back to the dock in plenty of time to catch the shuttle back over to Harvest Caye. We will definitely be going back to Belize and we will definitely deal with Splash Dive Center when we do!

Costa Maya - (ship) Dive was handled by Dreamtime Dive Center. I have zero complaints about this dive operation they met us off the ship in a timely manner, got us trucked to their shop where gear was all laid out for those that needed it. We geared up, went right to the boat that is across the street and onto the reef which takes about 3 minutes. This reef also feeds to a wall which we did on one tank and the reef on the other. One thing that I would bring up is and I am not sure who to lay this blame on. Due to time constraints and them needing to get us back to the boat we had to cut our second dive short. Heck I came up with more than half a tank and that's saying something! I would rather get back to the boat and chunk 20 minutes of air but it still hacked me off a little. We had a smaller time window to hit in that port and were about an hour later getting docked. Just seems like someone missed the mark on it. I am inclined to say something to the cruise lines so they can try to do better the next time. I don't think the dive center could have done anything different to conserve any time.

Maybe this will help some others who are looking at diving from the cruise ship. Like I said earlier to the wife and I, a cruise seems to be a taxi cab with a buffet so we will probably not be going that route again although it did allow us to dive in a number of different places and make some good contacts to go back on our own.

With Roatan.... the issue is the weather in winter, their rainy/bumpy seas season. If you were there between Nov-Jan, you can always expect to be stuck diving on the southside of the island as it is away from the "weather". The northside of the island is awesome, but in winter it gets pounded with winds and rough seas. None of the dive ops on the island dive on that side when weather is bad. When it rains a lot, the runoff kills the vis. (We spent a week on Roatan in Nov a few years ago and it rained daily, vis was about 15' most of the week. Gray and floaties every dive. Sucked.) Just the way it is. It has nothing to do with AKR or cruise ships...it is all about the weather.
We dove with AKR last May and the dives were on northside of island...wonderful sunny weather, calm seas, and clear vis. I would give it another chance sometime, its worth it.

robin

With Roatan.... the issue is the weather in winter, their rainy/bumpy seas season. If you were there between Nov-Jan, you can always expect to be stuck diving on the southside of the island as it is away from the "weather". The northside of the island is awesome, but in winter it gets pounded with winds and rough seas. None of the dive ops on the island dive on that side when weather is bad. When it rains a lot, the runoff kills the vis. (We spent a week on Roatan in Nov a few years ago and it rained daily, vis was about 15' most of the week. Gray and floaties every dive. Sucked.) Just the way it is. It has nothing to do with AKR or cruise ships...it is all about the weather.
We dove with AKR last May and the dives were on northside of island...wonderful sunny weather, calm seas, and clear vis. I would give it another chance sometime, its worth it.

robin
Oh we definitely will! We were not put off by anything in particular and we realized in talking to the folks we were diving with that we were there the wrong time of year for the best diving. Diving is kind of like sex for me...The worst diving I ever had was still pretty good.

Couple quick notes: Scuba diving can make a great compliment to cruising. Diving experience is one part of the equation, cruising experience is also important. Knowing how the ship works, where they dock, what the ports are like, etc. etc. are all equally important when enhancing your cruise vacation with scuba diving. You are on the right track and are asking the correct questions and concerns...

This is good advice. There is no cruise ship pier in Grand Cayman so they will transport you to and from the ship in boats called tenders - so you will probably have less time onshore than expected. My understanding is that they will give priority to passengers that have booked excursions with the cruise ship; so you might want to use the scuba vendor they offer for your Grand Cayman stop. Perhaps your Mom can go shopping in George Town while you go diving, and then you can meet up for lunch and enjoy the rest of your day together.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the dolphins at Anthony's; do they still have a show for the cruise ship patrons? Mom could enjoy the dolphin show and have a dolphin encounter/swim while you dive.

One more thought...if you book your excursions thru the ship, you are guaranteed that the ship will wait for you if there is some mishap. If you book your excursions yourself than you are on your own to make it back to the ship.

Ship excursions tend to be a little more on the "basic dive" level. So yes there are more exciting dives i=out there if that interests you.

I have done it both ways, thru the ship and on my own. Once in Greece I did a dive on my own and the taxi was about an hour late picking me up...I was pretty nervous there for a while.

Just to follow up on Oldbear's and others' posts, you might seriously consider using the ship's dive ops when feasible primarily because you are travelling with your mother. As you know, when using an off-ship dive vendor, the ship may not wait for you if you are delayed, and you will need to think about the possibility of your mother being on the ship, and you standing on the dock watching it sail away. If your mother is an experienced, independent traveller who won't care about the possibility of you not being able to catch up with the ship, it may not be a problem. When I cruise with my wife, who is also my dive buddy, and we are at a port where she does not want to dive, I use the ship's dive op because I came on the cruise to be with her for the 20 hours a day that I would not be diving. Diving is secondary. You have outstanding ship's dive ops at Roatan and Costa Maya, and a very good op (The Dive House) at Coz, and using an outside vendor may not be worth the risk of your mother not having your company if you are left at the dock. Realistically, that does not happen very often, but I cruise a lot, and have seen people left behind on more than a few occasions, so it can, and does happen. If it was me, I would not take the risk of degrading your mother's cruise experience.
Edit: If you decide to use an off-ship dive op, make absolutely sure you know of any differences between ship time and local time, which is even more critical when your ship time might be using DST and the port visited does not use DST. We almost missed ship's departure at Roatan once (many years ago) when we first started cruising because of the time discrepancy.

Everyone, thank you so much for your input and advice. This is how it worked out:

NCL Getaway 15 April 2018 -
I am not the biggest fan of cruising for a number of reasons, but there are worse ways to dive. I brought my own gear, rinsed it in the shower, and dried it on the balcony. My BCD was the only cumbersome part of bringing my own gear, but I would likely do it again to know I have something that fits just right and is what I am used to.
I decided to not do any ship excursions: I did not want large groups; I did not want 1x/year (or fewer) dive buddies; I feel like cruises take advantage of both the guests and the outfits. For the ports I was diving, I was very comfortable with my odds of returning on time.
I thought I had researched timing well and learned that "ship time" stayed in sync with the local time of the departure port. This was not the case; the ship recognized local time in all ports, changing from EDT to EST to CST and back.

Costa Maya -
I booked a lionfish hunt with Doctor Dive. Concerned that I may be an hour late due to time miscalculation, I hurried past the empty trolley at the port exit, figuring that it would be some time before it loaded up and made its way to Mahahual. The first taxi quoted me $8 USD. I walked further only to find the same result. They now charge by the car, not by the person, and the ride will be $8 regardless. Best would be to take the $3 trolley out and a taxi back (make new friends if you aren't there with some of your own).
Doctor Dive has a clean, comfortable shop with a nice spot to sit outside. I was the only one on my dive, which included an intro to using the Hawaiian sling spear. Costa Maya has done a great job eradicating their lionfish - we only saw two and I got a shot off on just one...and missed. No lunch for us. :-( My guide said they were about to stop doing lionfish dives due to the population decline. No regrets - it was still a good time and I look forward to trying it again elsewhere.
Being an early, 1-tank dive, I had plenty of extra time. I was not feeling beachy, so I walked down the sidewalk and bought some local art - cartoonish fish are created with multiple pieces of painted wood and re-used waste (think roll-on deodorant balls for eyes). They come attached to a wooden canvas to be hung on a wall. Mine has two fish bearing striking resemblances to my husband and to me...it will go above our headboard. :)
It was too early for others to be leaving the beach. For whatever reason, the trolley refuses to take you back to the ship even though it is going there anyhow. So I paid my $8 for a taxi and was able to meet Mom for lunch (she had gone on a glass-bottom boat ride).

Harvest Caye, Belize -
This is the private island for Norwegian Cruise Line. We opted to take a ferry off the island to Placencia at $25pp r/t. I decided not to dive here since the reef is 45-60 minutes away and it would be the riskiest port for timing. However, I saw that GoSea uses the same dock as the ferry and seemed very tuned into getting their guests back before that last ferry left.

Roatan -
I booked with Subway because: transportation was pre-arranged; their internship program has been on my radar for years; I wanted to dive Mary's Place. The dives were delightful - in addition to Mary's, we dove the Prince Albert and nearby airplane wreck...with a man who was on that plane when it crashed! I was surprised by a few things. No snacks were provided so we all had nothing between breakfast and 3:30pm. As each diver ran low on air (starting with our weakest), they were sent to surface alone - just four of us total and no buddies. This was the first time I experienced that, although the DM in Cozumel followed the same practice. Eye contact was often not made with the DM after entry to exchange 'OK' signals. I will be the first to admit that I am on the conservative end of the risk spectrum in all of my adventure pursuits but I thought it was worth noting.
The roads were a mess from a bad storm and traffic was a bit thick in places. There was still enough time for the unexpected, but had we been tendered from the ship as is sometimes done at that port, I probably would not have stayed for my second dive. Mind you, there are plenty of shops and sites much closer to port than I was and, as has been mentioned in this thread, it sounds like the op contracted through the cruise line does a nice job. BTW, we docked at Coxen Hole. Be aware that your line may dock at Mahogany.

Cozumel -
Mary's Place was the most enjoyable dive I had ever done...until we got here. I dove Cozumel once before but I think it was when I was quite new. This time was FAR more enjoyable than I had remembered. We went to San Francisco and Cedral (sp?). My GoPro had been getting stuck on the "Saving" screen, but I learned that it would record the first 14 seconds while in record mode, then I could force it to power down and reset for the next video op. I actually wound up with some decent shots but I must find out what is wrong with my camera.
This is the one place where time was an issue. They were expecting me an hour earlier. Fortunately, they needed to run some gear to the marina so I was able to hop on the truck and board fully clothed and with backpack. Thank you, Tres Pelicanos! I bumped into Mom on the street and we were on board in time for a late lunch.
There is a lot that I like about Tres Pelicanos, including their convenient location to Punta Langosta (ships also dock at the International Pier). I met divers as they got off their other boat and they are fans and repeat customers. Unfortunately, the timing does not work out unless you get off your ship by 7 or 7:15 local time.

I hope some of this will be helpful to someone. Cheers!

Kimberly

Good report. Sorry you didn't get to do Belize. It was our favorite as far as content went. So much so that we are already booked there for 10 day in 2019

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom