Planning to print/sell FISH-ID Slates. Tips/Advice/Info please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi,

I've created some designs for Fish-ID slates suitable for my local area, that I'm planning to retail. It'd start with a limited batch run, for samples and some small stock.. then, hopefully, a bigger run later. If successful, I'm also planning subsequent slates with wreck maps and for local nudibranch identification.

I've designed the slates on Photoshop, currently at 300dpi and A4 sized, with full color photographs of the marine life. I'll probably print them at A5 size... double sided, with a hole and split-ring for attachment.

My next step (I think?) is to get them printed . I would prefer printing directly onto plastic slate, as they are more durable and have a more professional feel than laminated variants.

I've got little experience with printing such things... and, given my location (Philippines), I don't expect much sound advice from local printing establishments. The standard procedure here seems to be for the business to say "sure, no problem" then do an awful job because they don't actually have any experience providing the necessary quality of work etc etc. My obvious concern is that the printing would be high quality and durable - given that the slates will be used underwater etc.

I don't want to pay for the printing to get done, only to discover that the images are poor quality. Likewise, I also don't want customer complaints later that the ink fades, scratches etc from the slates over time.

At this point, I'd really value some advice about what type of printing/standard etc I need to source. Is there something specific that I need to ask for.. quality, print type, ink type, finish type etc etc? Same for the slates themselves... what do I need to source?

Anyone willing to share their experience of doing this, as a commercial venture, would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm hoping to get them printed locally (P.I.), but will consider quotes/offers from overseas also - if you can recommend somewhere. Obviously, that'd mean adding shipping/import taxes (high!) to my overheads, which I'd rather avoid...

Last edited:
Print them 8 1/2 x 5 1/2" and put in 3 holes just like the standard PADI blue logbook so folks can put them in their logbook for the destination they are traveling to, rather than split ring and single hole. All of my PADI tables and slates eventually rip out.

Don't invest your life savings.

I have had Franko Maps do a real nice job for us for some local slates here in Okinawa and they hold up well and were printed inexpensively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom