Planning our first trip for next month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riceowls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning a diving trip next month possibly in connection with my wife's b-day and (after doing Cozumel last 3 times) thinking of doing Roatan . The plan is to do 8 nights - Sat-Sunday (or possibly 9 to Monday if Presidents day - week TBD). Here are my current thoughts:
1) Interested in combining South shore dives with a possibility of shore diving and seeing the town, trying local restaurants in West Bay, and of course doing Northside reefs as well.
2) We would perhaps do ~15-17 dives.
3) Don't want to overspend (better safe for another trip)

Here is a current draft plan:
4 nights in Reef House.
1 night dive on the arrival day (if all on-time)
2-3 dives a day for days 2-4
Transit to the west bay on day 5. Possibly afternoon dive there or a rest day
Stay West Bay or West End (TBD)
2 dives a day on days 6-8
Flyback on day 9(sun, the flight is late enough to have 24hr after the last dive)

Looking for feedback on the plan. Am I making a mistake by trying to see both sides of the island? West Bay or West End? West Bay or West End operators suggestions? What is the cost of taxi from the airport to Reef House, from Reef House to West Bay and from West Bay to the airport? Or should I arrange the transfer via the hotels? Buying alcohol (beer, bottle of rum) - duty free on arrival? Or some local store on the way from the airport? Favorite local joints and street food vendors?

Looks doable and fun.

”don’t want to over spend”

You’re not outlining an inexpensive week as compared to most anyone else’s week on Roatan.

I'd personally just pick a spot and stick with it for a week-long trip. I think there is plenty of diving to see on the southside...you won't get bored, and then maybe your next trip to the north side.

Looking at what you're doing, I'd probably just stay at Reef House for the week. They have beer, you just snag it and write it down (honor system) and it was reasonably priced. I don't remember if they had other alcohol and this is all subject to have changed since I was there last.....2013 or so.

That may be more of a personal preference though, but I prefer not to kill too much time moving/lugging my crap to a diff resort and typically only do that if I'm island hopping and have to. Like if I go to Little Cayman or Brac I typically will try to spend 3-5 days on Grand on my way out if I can.

Reef House has a rustic feel.
West Bay has a resorty feel.
West End has a party feel.
If I remember correctly it's about a one hour or a little more taxi ride from West End to Oak Ridge and then a 15 minute water taxi ride to Reef House. The airport is between Oak Ridge and West End/Bay. I can't remember the fare. Maybe $40. ? What you want to do is doable, and it is possible to stay in West End cheap. Not so much West Bay. 15-17 dives might be difficult with moving around. All in all you'll get a good view of the island and have some fun. Don't be in too much of a rush and enjoy yourself.

Ok. decided to keep the split - seems like 8 nights in reef house is too boring and wanted to get a better feel of the island. staying in Land's end resort in the west end. they don't have a dive shop in-house but recommend seagrape 2 in walk away. Any feedback on them or alternative suggestions? What's your favorite west end restaurants and street-food places.

We spent a few weeks in Roatan last year, and it's not too hard to see it all. We stayed in West End for about 8 nights, staying for 4 nights at Land's End and then 4 nights at Coco Lobo (and then a few nights each at Camp Bay, Southside @Wikkid and a week in Utila).

I highly recommend staying at Coco Lobo and just walking into West End to dive with one of the shops there, we dove with Coconut Tree Divers, and got superb tec training with Monty there. There are quite a few excellent dive shops around. For one day, we took the water taxi from the other end of West End to West Bay and spent a nice day eating, drinking and beach walking there.

If you want to venture further, renting a car is relatively simple and inexpensive, allowing you to go diving in the southside (perhaps with Kendall on his catamarans at Wikkid), have a great meal at Silversides, taste the rum at Roatan Rum Company or go to the excellent microbrewery Roatan Island Brewing.

I highly recommend staying at Coco Lobo and just walking into West End to dive with one of the shops there, we dove with Coconut Tree Divers, and got superb tec training with Monty there. There are quite a few excellent dive shops around. For one day, we took the water taxi from the other end of West End to West Bay and spent a nice day eating, drinking and beach walking there.
I've checked Coco Lobo but not available for my dates. How was land's end? Do dive shops pick up at their resort or you need to walk with your gear?

I've checked Coco Lobo but not available for my dates. How was land's end? Do dive shops pick up at their resort or you need to walk with your gear?
Land's End was comfortable, efficient air conditioning, great views of the sunset, but was just slightly less organized and a bit older/rustic compared to Coco Lobo. However, they are very responsive via WhatsApp, and are willing to address any issues right away. It was nice to have a restaurant/bar downstairs, but due to the pandemic, they did not have a lot of the happy hours or regional cuisine specials that were listed on their walls. There are SO many options for good food in West End, so not really a problem.

We walked over to the dive shop with our gear (and were using the shop's gear for the tec stuff that we don't have yet). I'm sure there are some shops that can help with gear pick up if you asked, but we didn't ask.

I'm biased cause I've been going there for many years but I'll recommend Seagrape 100% for diving and would also suggest staying there over Lands End. Seagrape is a family run business and they are great at making you welcome. Their bungalows are pretty nice, semi private with porch and hammock and a view across the iron shore to the water. If you can book one of them (often booked every year by returnees like us) I think it'd be better than LE but again, I'm biased...It's a bit quieter than LE, no bar to hang out so if you want that stick with LE. We like a quiet place to stay; if we want night life we can walk into town. Breakfast is included and you can get lunch as part of a package or a la carte. If you're looking for a modern flashy hotel neither of these will suit; you'd be better of in West Bay.

The Seagrape dive shop is pretty under rated in my opinion. Well run, great boats, and native born DM's who are great at finding critters. They will do their best to accommodate any requests; we almost always get to do the dives we love. They don't have the name recognition of Coconut Tree (and no tec either, for that I think there's only coconut tree) or West End Divers, but equally good diving and no schlepping gear across the road. If you end up staying at LE I'd at least give tSeagrape a try, you can always walk elsewhere if you don't like them.

@riceowls I see you're from Houston. Any idea what's up with the American Airlines direct flight IAH - RTB? We originally booked our "usual" flight through IAH and after a number of changes are now routed through MIA instead. It seems that they've limited the direct Houston - Roatan flights? I'm guessing it's because they weren't filling 737s and are using the Embrear 175 out of miami because it's smaller? Weird thing is that there appeared to be direct flights on thursdays but not the weekend when I'd think there would be more passengers... Anyway, I'm just hoping to not have more cancellations and attendant flight changes. Worst case would be if they add back the IAH - RTB flights and we are stuck going to MIA! Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom