Planning our first Key Largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhhoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok my husband and I have booked the Marina Del Mar for Aug 3-7th...now we just need to make a plan for the dives. There is so much information available..its almost overwhelming..

I know we plan to do 5-6 trips and a night dive...but what is the best way to go about coordinating that.

I like the idea of booking everything with one group but does that tend to limit what sites I am going to get to see?

How do I avoid being herded in with a massive group on every trip?

How close to the date would you recommend making reservations? Do the trips tend to fill very quickly?

Does each group have a set day for night dives or are there several offered thru the week?

Who is your favorite dive operation and WHY?

I have read thru the keys info but over time and with groups changing its nice to get current info and ideas...your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks so much

My favorite operator in Key Largo is Quiescence diving, Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations. They run smaller boats carrying no more than 6 divers w/ 2 divers being the minimum. My wife and I have been diving with them for several years and have always been very satisfied and you have a lot more input to where you dive. Another small operator is HMS Minnow, they also only take 6 divers and dock next to the Holiday Inn @ MM101. Unfortunately most of the more popular operators run "cattle boats" taking up tp 36 divers. There are some mid sized boats taking 12 divers.

Going down to Key largo in May. We have only had first class experience in Cayman and Aruba so I can drop you a line after we get back to let you know how it compairs, it will be our first keys experience - Set to go from shallow to deep - ending the Spegel Grove over 3 days w/ Conch Republic. Gary and his wife Brenda have set up exactly the dives we want on our schedule - Booked a month ago. Dont know if that was early or not? It looks like the schedule get's set around those who commit first - Hope that helps CAT

Ok my husband and I have booked the Marina Del Mar for Aug 3-7th...now we just need to make a plan for the dives. There is so much information available..its almost overwhelming..
I know we plan to do 5-6 trips and a night dive...but what is the best way to go about coordinating that.

I like the idea of booking everything with one group but does that tend to limit what sites I am going to get to see?
How do I avoid being herded in with a massive group on every trip?
How close to the date would you recommend making reservations? Do the trips tend to fill very quickly?
Does each group have a set day for night dives or are there several offered thru the week?
Who is your favorite dive operation and WHY?
I have read thru the keys info but over time and with groups changing its nice to get current info and ideas...your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks so much

For booking five or six trips, make sure your charter will give you a price break.
I look for oceanside operations that have faster boats to cut down on travel time and maximize bottom time. This operator gets very good reviews:
Silent World: Dive Charters

My favorite operator in Key Largo is Quiescence diving, Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations. They run smaller boats carrying no more than 6 divers w/ 2 divers being the minimum. My wife and I have been diving with them for several years and have always been very satisfied and you have a lot more input to where you dive. Another small operator is HMS Minnow, they also only take 6 divers and dock next to the Holiday Inn @ MM101. Unfortunately most of the more popular operators run "cattle boats" taking up tp 36 divers. There are some mid sized boats taking 12 divers.

I've dove with most of the Key Largo area ops and all of those mentioned in this thread; Quiescence, HMS Minnow, Conch Republic and Silent World.
Ocean Divers (not previously mentioned) has two big (40+') boats and a published schedule, including night dives. They will go out with two divers. VERY liberal reservation policy. Not a bad op, especially for a big boat one.
HMS Minnow. Six-pack. Perhaps the best six-pack in the Keys. He will take you to the best spots. And you'll be the first to arrive thus getting the best parking spot. If you're the first to book you can call the sites. Don't know which sites to try? Leave it to Captain Jeff; he'll take you to the best sites. (Didn't I already say that?)
Scuba-Do: a very, very roomy 34' boat that carries 10 divers max. Yeah, very, very roomy. Not a bad op.
All the above are berthed within a one minute walk of your Marina Del Mar lodging.
Quiescence: another outstanding six-pack op. You can't go wrong with them either. Very thorough, competent and conservative. Never heard anything but the best about them. A five minute drive north of your lodging.
Conch Republic Divers: 8.5 miles "south" of your lodging; they're in the Tavernier area, right on the creek. Another super friendly, competent, outstanding op. Also a ScubaBoard favorite, and rightly so. They too have a published schedule. And two boats: a 40+' and a ~30 footer.

Last edited:
This is good info, I'm planning a last minute trip right now, leaving tomorow afternoon. Haven't booked a thing yet.

This is so helpful!!! I really appreciate getting this first hand information. We are so excited to make this trip.
Thanks so much!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom