Planning my Tech Learning adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you specifically asked about PADI, I will assure you that the PADI tech standards and content are perfectly fine, so, once again, it comes down to the instructor.

I was a TDI tech instructor for a while, and then I switched to teach PADI tech. I think the course materials are far superior, and the course sequence makes a lot of sense.
Yeah, peeerrrectly fine

This image is from PADI’s website.

Yoke regs, bottles not marked, metal to metal on that reel, weights strapped to the tanks.

Perfectly reasonable!

64_BAD1_AD_BD72_4338_AD4_E_2_BCE5_C7_B79_D1.jpg

I'm planning to get into tech diving in the near future.

To the OP: First of all, welcome to Scubaboard.
Shouldn't you make a few hundred dives before venturing into tech? Not dampening your enthusiasm at all. Gaining experience in diving takes time and patience.

In case someone tells me who I am to say something like this, I consider myself a beginner.

Yeah, peeerrrectly fine

This image is from PADI’s website.

Yoke regs, bottles not marked, metal to metal on that reel, weights strapped to the tanks.

Perfectly reasonable!

View attachment 474716
I have no idea where that is from, but, of course, all PADI instructors do everything alike, right?

So when were you watching me that made you decide I looked like this?

I have no idea where that is from, but, of course, all PADI instructors do everything alike, right?

So when were you watching me that made you decide I looked like this?
The standards are loose. Too loose.

That’s “fine” to you? The standards are so shoddy that they feature that mess on their website.

Tec Trimix Diver | PADI

They probably don’t do anything alike because there are barely any standards.

“Swim down, swing around, and swim back up” seems to be where the bar is set.

The standards are loose. Too loose.

That’s “fine” to you? The standards are so shoddy that they feature that mess on their website.

Tec Trimix Diver | PADI

They probably don’t do anything alike because there are barely any standards.

“Swim down, swing around, and swim back up” seems to be where the bar is set.
There was a time, very recently, when I thought flat out lying was something beneath your ethical standards. I am so sorry to see that this is not true. It has changed my entire view of you. I never thought you would stoop that low. I am, frankly, stunned.

There was a time, very recently, when I thought flat out lying was something beneath your ethical standards. I am so sorry to see that this is not true. It has changed my entire view of you. I never thought you would stoop that low. I am, frankly, stunned.
Never stoop to criticizing PADI’s standards?

I’ve been doing that for like 15 years.

Not long after that, my 11 year old wanted to become certified. I handed her the OW Manual and told her to let me know when she had finished reading it. About 10 minutes later, she comes into the living room and says, “Dad, who wrote this book, it’s riddled with spelling and grammatical errors”. I told her a guy with a PhD wrote it. LOL. She asked if he knew how to use spell check or hire an editor.
That ain't really a surprise. I've met a lot of people with PhDs, and some of them are the dumbest people I've ever met.

It’s presently on the Padi website.
Yes, but the image itself appears to be...let us say "semi-vintage." As we all know, agencies often use older visual materials, so that's not surprising. Also, the person who assembled the website isn't necessarily an expert diver who curated a photo bank. In fact, I'd hazard the guess that PADI's site was created and published by some hired gun who doesn't dive. Hence, the photo probably doesn't reflect the most current PADI thinking about gear configuration.

Oh...and now that I look at the photo more closely, I see what appear to be labels. The vertical yellow stripes on the tanks' lower halves? And I don't see any weights strapped to the tanks, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom