Planning first trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the beach is man-made and fleas weren't there originally, all they have is adventurous strays from the other end.

right. Yep, you bet. Gotta be it, I guess.

They just need to spray the place daily to make sure the strays don't stay.

You might be on to something there, yes. Spraying with DDT will do that. That... And a bunch of other sruff.

Been to Roatan twice in the last 6 years, specifically the west end, never once had a problem with sand fleas..... but my wife did.

Did you and the wife do all of the exact same things together?

I quite often got bit right in the dive op. It was a patio deck, so I figure the critters were either coming up through the slats or just coming along with the sand that blew onto the patio.

I haven't been for quite awhile.

I don't know that I would like it as much as I did, now that I'm so enchanted with SE East Asian diving.

Reactions: Doc
We are headed to Mr Tucan July 9 for a week. I have been once off a cruise but never spent much time there. Looking forward to it and taking my kids on their first big dive trip! Any suggestions for a dive op with rental gear and small boats, I have always used all my own gear but it is getting really old and do not want to get it serviced so we will be renting for 5 divers (3 older kids). Can you rent for the week and get some shore dives in or do you do daily or what is the process? I have some time to get anything I have to have but the kids only have snorkel fins and mask. Any suggestions for a dive computer/watch that handles the basics. I only dive about once every two years so nothing too fancy. Just spent a fortune getting everyone certified and last minute flights!

We are headed to Mr Tucan July 9 for a week.

West End …They’re all renting serviceable gear. Take your pick.

You will be right next door to Coconut Tree. There you go.

I would not purchase a computer if thats what you’re asking. Depending on your actual dive schedule, likely don’t spend money renting. Run your tables, if you must.

They will rent you a “puck” computer. These are simple and reliable. Most divers need nothing more exotic. The Mares line has a puck model, so named because of it’s hockey puck look. Good choice for purchase.

So your computer reference has me further puzzled. If you utilize one, it’s reading should NEVER be extrapolated to any other diver. If you’re doing two dives a day, you’ll probably get no value from a computer. On Roatan West End, I’d say an extreme max of 3 dives, still not anything that would exceed printed tables.

Shore diving is not really what Roatan is known for. The reef structure in West End is offshore quite a distance. No West End dive op allows their gear to be outside of their view.

Rent for the week, dive off of their boats. With 5, you might just “own” your boat.

Get a substantial discount for the 5x rentals and dive trips. Then ask for a cash discount.

West End …They’re all renting serviceable gear. Take your pick.

You will be right next door to Coconut Tree. There you go.

I would not purchase a computer if thats what you’re asking. Depending on your actual dive schedule, likely don’t spend money renting. Run your tables, if you must.

They will rent you a “puck” computer. These are simple and reliable. Most divers need nothing more exotic. The Mares line has a puck model, so named because of it’s hockey puck look. Good choice for purchase.

So your computer reference has me further puzzled. If you utilize one, it’s reading should NEVER be extrapolated to any other diver. If you’re doing two dives a day, you’ll probably get no value from a computer. On Roatan West End, I’d say 3 dives, not anything that would exceed printed tables.

Shore diving is not really what Roatan is known for. The reef structure in West End is offshore quite a distance. No West End dive op allows their gear to be outside of their view.

Rent for the week, dive off of their boats. With 5, you might just “own” your boat.

Get a substantial discount for the 5x rentals and dive trips. Then ask for a cash discount.
Thank you Doc. I have just always had one I guess is why I felt I needed one! I did use to go deep a lot too but I won't be this time so I suppose you are right. So do you get your dives shop booked before you go? I reached out to the hotel with some questions and recommendations but have not go a reply as of yet. Just planned this yesterday so have not had time to do too much research. We were planning to go to Coz which I have over 100 dives and know a lot about everything there but have not planned a trip elsewhere in many years. Thanks for your help.

Honduran businesses are notoriously sketchy on communications. Not only does the language barrier factor in, but why waste their efforts selling services for the other vendors? Our imagined meter of “concierge services” must be graded on a curve exclusive to the local reality…no matter what anyone says. Comments about “concierge diving” make me laugh. Everything will be fine, just go with it.

Contact Coconut Tree directly. They will respond.

Likely they would be happier to deal with 5 divers walking in instead with a warning. Again, negotiate rates because of your numbers. Everybody on West End is sucking air right now, so they will be eager for business, but at the same time, many dive ops are not back up to speed with staff. Coconut Tree is a very strong operation.

Again, you have confused me with computer talk. Now~ it seems you have owned a computer. Get a new battery in it and take it. Help your associates run their tables, they’re new, and this would be good building block experience in regards to understanding algorithms. Then you show them what your computer has to say. But…Computer are likely included in reg set rentals, but they will have learned absolutely nothing by looking at them.

I don't know about all the shops, perhaps Coconut Tree is one of them, but if a diver takes a class with them, all rental gear is at no cost for the rest of the trip, as long as you continue to dive with that operator.

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom