Planning Belize trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning a Belize trip and trying to decide where to stay. (AC, CC, Turneffe, etc) Want the best diving possible and a decent place with air conditioning. Prefer somewhere that has a bit of shore diving available as an option. Love sleepy little places, don't need city life.
Going from end of June to first part of July. Haven't made any reservations so if someone has any other recommendations I'll entertain. What are the chances of hitting tropical storms?
Any chance of seeing whale sharks during that time? Where do we need to go for that?:blinking:

No shore diving on AC or CC. Don't know about Turneffe. Maybe Tobacco Caye?

Not been yet --- be there next weekend!! More reports later.
But, as I understand, Turneffe is everthing you want (absolute closest to the very best dives) ... except shore dives. They do have complementary kayaks for self-guided snorkling.

DanDives:
Not been yet --- be there next weekend!! More reports later.
But, as I understand, Turneffe is everthing you want (absolute closest to the very best dives) ... except shore dives. They do have complementary kayaks for self-guided snorkling.
Great. Thanks!! Any names of places to stay on Turneff?

Okay. Decided we want to stay on Turneffe. Any recommendations? I've found two places, the Turneffe flats and Turneffe Island lodge. Reviews for either? I'd like to purchase our dive trips by the day (to prevent losing money due to illness or weather) and I can't seem to find anything but packages.
Thanks for everyone's help!!

Interesting Q. I think they are the same. There are many (MANY) board posters that have been -- trying PM-ing them. I know they also cater (maybe > 50%) to fishing packages. My impression is "Flats" seems to be the fishing area / name.

"Package" only because this is "remote" -- you get there, and you only have scheduled transportation on Wed & Sat. You have a "package deal" whether you want it or not. I want it. I am R E A D Y ... 8 days and counting.

I went to Turneffe Island Lodge July 2006 and highly recommend them. Excellent food, very nice accommodations, and most importantly close to all the great dives sites like The Elbow.

We didn't see any whale sharks (Finally did see one on my recent dive trip to Thailand!), but did see reef sharks, turtles, rays and dolphins. The diving was great!

I have a few pics from the Belize trip on my web site.

Happy Diving!

Eric

Turneffe island lodge. The diving is phenomenal...I have heard good things about the lodging as well. not sure about much shore diving in Belize though. if there is any, it will be off of some of the outer cayes as it is quite a swim to the barrier reef from the mainland or amberguis.

Anyone know how Belizean Shores is on AC? Been toying around with going there, but heard it's a bit of a trip to downtown San Pedro.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom