Planning a trip, need some advice..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

In 2008 I have been to Fiji and Cook Islands.
On Fiji I've visited Savusavu and on the Cook Islands Rarotonga and Aitutaki.
Made some very nice dives, but some were quite disappointing.

First the best: both locations offer a good change on seeing blacktip/whitetip reef sharks, lot of hard/soft corals, murenas, devilfish and a lot of other fish. Visibility was fine.

I won't advise the Jean-Michel Cousteau divingschool on Fiji. They depend only on their name. Our divemaster was in a bad mood all the time and took us only to the wrong places (dead coral, no fish). The staff of the divingschool seemed unmotivated and uninterested.

But lukely this was not illustrative for diving on Fiji. On the contrary; other dives were fantastic, especially the driftdives.

Then Cook Islands: first we have been to Rarotonga en then to Aitutaki. On the Cook Islands the hard corals are in an excellent state. Surprised by the tame turtles and even a hungeback.

Rarotonga has beautiful vulcanic mountains, with spectacular views.
Aitutaki is famous for the fantastic beaches. Lot of napoleons here. Visibility on Cook Islands less then on Fiji, but good enough.

I enjoyed this trip very much, hope you use my information.

if your going fiji then likuliku is only place with over water bungalows as far as i know.
someone mentioned wananavu and that's where i'd be going - in fact i am again, in december.
some great deals with caradonna or world of diving. heard the new op is going really well.
otherwise paradise on taveuni or matava on kadavu are good options.

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Have you already booked somewhere?

The only over-water bungalows I am aware of in Fiji are at Likuliku Lagoon Resort (likulikulagoon.com) It's in the Yasawa's which have good diving compared to the US but not the best diving in Fiji.

Prices in Fiji are variable; there are lots of resorts with reasonable rates that often include meals while other places are super expensive. To dive a lot of Fiji locales, a liveaboard would be best. If you want the best diving in Fiji, consider Taveuni, Kadavu, the Bligh Waters and Beqa. If you want a budget island with great diving, consider Naigani Island Resort. It's not fancy but we have never seen another dive boat while there and it is very reasonably priced. It's the only resort in Fiji we've returned to.

Our favorite time to visit Fiji is from the last week of March through May. The water is warmer and the wet season is usually behind you.

Cindy

I spent gwo weeks there in july 2010. Spent ghe first week at BEqua Lagoon and the secound week at Matava. Matava is a smaller operation on the island of Kadavu. It had the best diving I have ever experianced. The AStrloba reef was fabulaos. Hard corals as far as the eye could see. Plate coral 6ft. across soft corals of every color. They have a dive site called Manta Reef and the name is spot on. We saw Mantas on every dive. Theyhave honeymoon buries up on the hill that have the most fantastic view. The staff there is wonderful. You can't go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom