Planning a trip, need some advice..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
Well in Fiji over the water bures (bungalows) are only to be found at Likuliku. Not exactly cheap but everyone says it is very nice if you like that sort of thing :crafty:
However this isn't the place for great dives - OK, but not great. For that you need to move to the north of Fiji. Have a look at Garden Island resort. They dive the Somosomo straights and occasionally Namena reserve which are probably Fiji's best 2 sites - at least those that are visited by resorts.
Garden Island is on Taveuni and you will need to take an internal flight to get there and back. Book these early as they get expensive if you wait. Pacific Sun is the only carrier.

Lots of other options both more upmarket and more local style / eco accommodation - see Matava on Kadavu island, which also offers excellent diving on and around the Great Astrolabe reef.

Let me know if you would like any more info or suggestions for Fiji.

Have a great trip.

Cheers
Greg

I was not speaking of over the water accommodations when I was talking about cheap lodging. They do have those, as has been mentioned, at Likuliku, and also at Koro Sun but I dont think they are cheap.

The cheap lodging I was talking about is in Bures on land, timeshare resorts, and even some one bedroom homes rented by private owners that have an ocean view. I am talking in the $400 to $600 a week range for lodging with no meal plans and no included diving.

Finding the right balance between honeymoon and excellent diving on a budget, is tough in the South Pacific. Fiji is handsdown cheaper than ANY part of French Polynesia. Keep in mind as you look at Tahiti the room and diving are only a part of your expenses, food and drink are serious money since the dollar is so weak.

Tikehau & Manihi are the only FP islands that I'm aware of that meets your dual requirements. check out: Tikehau hotel - Tikehau Pearl Beach Resort - French Polynesia (they really are that beautiful)

I wouldn't hazard a guess to how much this would cost. Other FP islands have one or the other. Having stayed in over the water bungalows many times, they are novel but I wouldn't pay big bucks for that experience again, still if you haven't done it and it is your honeymoon....Bora Bora & Moorea are likewise not on my return list.

Something I considered for my honeymoon (we married in Fiji) was a beach rental on Taveuni: Fiji vacation rental|Fiji accommodation|Fiji rental|at|Taveuni|Taveuni Island |"Vale Cadra Ni Vula" Welcomes you| Then a week at Kadavu. Fiji has lots of great diving and lots of nice islands with prices for backpackers to Forbes, is easy to stay a week somewhere then hop to another of Fiji's islands for a change of scenery.

Caradonna has one week at Wananavu Fiji, all meals and diving for 2, for $2334....upgrade to the beachfront bure or the honeymoon suite will cost more, but you're right on the beach. We've been twice and love the resort and diving

Air Pacific has a book one, second person is 50% off.

Finding the right balance between honeymoon and excellent diving on a budget, is tough in the South Pacific. Fiji is handsdown cheaper than ANY part of French Polynesia. Keep in mind as you look at Tahiti the room and diving are only a part of your expenses, food and drink are serious money since the dollar is so weak.
At least the quality has gone up between my first and second trips there, but it can be phenomenally expensive, especially if you eat and drink at the hotel. Cocktails on the bar menu at the Tahiti Intercontinental were $18, but they at least were made with fancy rum infusions. Even outside the hotel: two individual-sized pizzas, one plain green salad, one beer, one large bottle of water at the roadside pizza stand highly recommended on Moorea (I forget the name right now): $80. But it was damn good pizza. On the other hand, I've noticed you can drink French wine pretty cheaply there - I imagine they keep the price low since it's practically a staple as it is in Europe.

Also, diving tends to be priced per dive, not per 2-tank trip as is the custom in many other parts of the world, though that might vary at more dive-oriented facilities. We did a Paul Gauguin cruise for my second trip there which, price wise, was probably in the same range as if we had stayed in hotels, plus we got to visit other islands including the Marquesas. Only managed 5 dives off the cruise, however, so that was a disadvantage, but it would be splendid for a honeymoon (there were at least two couples that we met aboard who had that idea), and you could combine that with a dive-intensive stay in Rangiroa, for instance (we stayed an extra night in Papeete and did two dives there, but that's probably the worst of French Polynesia diving).

But if diving is more the priority and funds and time aren't unlimited, you're definitely better off with Fiji from what I've heard (or SE Asia, though not technically South Pacific, I still urge you to check it out).

it is looking like we are going to Fiji..

I have been working with a couple of very helpful travel agents and while the trip is going to be very expensive, I have been to busy at work to get everything planned on my own.

The suggestions I have gotten from here have help a ton, thank you! Once our travel is finalized i'll share the information and see what those with more experience think.

We have been to Fiji diving 6 times. I can recommend Koromakawa (only one guest house and you will be pampered), Moody's (Namena), or Nakia on Taveuni. Nakia has the best diving but be prepared for current.

rangiroa is the best diving i've ever experienced in the south pacific. hotel kia ora is re-opening this month after a major overhaul, they had beautiful overwater bungalows prior to the redo, now they must be amazing.

I agree -- Rangiroa was some of the best diving I have done anywhere. I looked at the Tikehau resort -- I'd give my EYETEETH to go spend a week or so there. 12 km from Rangiroa, I would guess the diving would be similar, and the resort looks quite simply (or rather, not very simply at all) lovely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom