Planning 2014 Bonaire Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to go to Bonaire next year, spring/early summer time frame. I dive, my wife does not. (I know. I've spent 33 yrs trying to convince her). I've been checking out the Austin dive shop websites and haven't had any luck finding one that has a trip planned at that time. Scubaland used to but no more. Does anyone know of a shop that does? Thanks in advance...

Have you researched online? We often shop around for a good deal on a resort, and also shop for a non resort rental, renting a truck and buying a shore dive package of our own.

You do not need to pay for a LDS to get a package deal together. We usually do better on our own.

A dive package operation like Caradonna Dive Travel, or one of the others may come up with a good deal if you shop around too.

Another idea is to cruise the Bonaire Forum, to see if anyone is putting a trip together, as the DNY group did for a trip just last week.

Bonaire Travel : Diving, Windsurfing, Snorkeling, Hotels & Resorts on Bonaire | BonairePros.com puts together package deals including flights.

Although all your flight options are shown here: Info Bonaire - Getting to Bonaire - By plane or ship so Expedia or Orbitz or any of the travel portals can be used also. I use the Matrix, you can find all flights but you have to book with someone else. I usually book direct with the airlines via their website. The Matrix is a database that most airlines and almost all the popular travel sites use - the only significant omission is Southwest Airlines. Matrix - ITA Software

By the time you go Plaza Resort will be full AI. It's one of the larger resorts, with several restaurant choices and nice beach areas. Something lacking at most Bonaire resorts. Your wife might appreciate that. Bonaire Resort & Bonaire Diving | Plaza Resort Bonaire

I went to the Scubaboard Invasion this year, and we went to Bonaire. However, I am not sure where next year will be, but keep the Scubaboard Invasion in mind; unless you are dead set on Bonaire.

Scubaland just came back from Belize, and in a few days they will be going to Roatan, but they won't be posting their next year's summer trips until January or so. These are some more options, if you can not find a shop that has trip going to Bonaire.

There will be group Bonaire trips. I don't who all & when they'll be announced, but it's a very popular group trip destination.

I've been to Bonaire 7 times; the 1'rst 4 were with a group led by one of my instructors. Since then, and knowing the basics, I find it quite simple to book on my own.

Out of curiosity, what advantages are you seeking in going with a group? Especially since you're apparently willing to go with a group of strangers you have no prior affiliation with. You may not need a group as much as you might think, especially since you're dive count suggests you're seasoned.

Richard.

There will be group Bonaire trips. I don't who all & when they'll be announced, but it's a very popular group trip destination.

I've been to Bonaire 7 times; the 1'rst 4 were with a group led by one of my instructors. Since then, and knowing the basics, I find it quite simple to book on my own.

Out of curiosity, what advantages are you seeking in going with a group? Especially since you're apparently willing to go with a group of strangers you have no prior affiliation with. You may not need a group as much as you might think, especially since you're dive count suggests you're seasoned.

Richard.

Agreed. Unless you just want to go through a Dive Shop to be with a group, Bonaire is about as easy a place to plan a trip as there is. Three trips for me and none with a group. And tons of info and people on SB willing to help you plan your trip.

Agreed. Unless you just want to go through a Dive Shop to be with a group, Bonaire is about as easy a place to plan a trip as there is. Three trips for me and none with a group. And tons of info and people on SB willing to help you plan your trip.

Amen to that. About 13 trips ago, it was total strangers (strangers then, but not any longer) here on SB who invited me to join them on Bonaire when I asked a similar question.

LOTS of helpful friendly folks here.

The DNY Invasion last week was my 13th trip to Bonaire. This time I put a group trip together, but often Colleen and I go alone or with a couple friends and rent a quad, well off of the resort properties, then book a shore dive package through Buddy Dive, and rent truck on our own. Amazing how much you can save by shopping around a bit, and chatting with folks on the Bonaire forum, especially if you a planning far ahead and can be flexible.

You can visit this forum, and post your questions to those who are specifically focused on Bonaire:

>>>>>>>> Bonaire

I stay at Coco Palm Gardens (Bonaire - short and long term rental - budget vacation accommodation). You get a full apartment with full kitchen for cheap and they can arrainge a truck and unlimited air packages for about as inexpensive as you can find. They bring in a local resturant (different each time) for a buffet Tues & Thurs evenings and last time I was there (2011) it was $10. Don't think you can beat it for an inexpensive way to do Bonaire. With what I save over a resort I can stay for two weeks instead of one.

We have also use Remix Bonaire to find rentals. Bob and Rob manage a lot of rentals, both high end, ocean front, and bargains, off the shore.

It pays to check multiple options.

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 10:32 AM ----------

http://www.rentalsbonaire.com/

Back
Top Bottom