Planned deco on a recreational dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a prude? Not at all.

Diving outside of your training and comfort zone isn't something to take lightly.

Also, you're not alone in those thoughts. I wouldn't agree to a charter based on what you mentioned above. Not at least without doing at least a dive with the other group before hand, and a serious talk about what is going to happen in the water for the above mentioned dive.

Just quickly plugging in a 45m dive for 15 minutes in DecoPlanner spits out a 10minute stop at 6m/20ft on air (with a nominal ascent schedule. It would also require more gas than what is in an AL80. No mention of contingency ('pony' bottles, doubles - manifold or otherwise) .....

_R
MG would be 63 cu/ft of gas.

heh yea, that actually brings up an interesting question.. If the situation would go south and I end up in a hyperbaric chamber or worse, would my DAN insurance actually cover costs at all since I'm diving beyond my training? I'm assuming not but I will try to look that up unless some DAN expert here wants to chime in.

I would say that DAN would NOT cover your injuries as you have said in an open forum you do not have the training to perform the dive in question.

im all for stretching ones dive experience BUT- the fact that your on the forum asking this question is telling. If you had sufficient experience and awareness you would know the answer to your own question
Tursiops has a good answer
Tursiops is smart
Be like Tursiops :)

MG would be 63 cu/ft of gas.

So you are saying the total gas consumption would be 63 cu/ft? What did you use as the SAC rate on bottom and during DECO? Is this using VPM-B what conservative setting? Just having a hard time understanding the point. OP said they were not planning on using 80 AL.. I believe 12L tanks.

OP, I think you have the right idea get that training. DECO stops, ascent rates and gas changes are pretty important.

I've taught my kids from day one, "any diver can call any dive for any reason". And one of the best reasons is it is beyond my training!

With 2 kids in college and 1 about to start Highschool, I too would have said no. Too many people depend on me. No way am I going to endanger myself for something I'm not trained to do.

I would say that DAN would NOT cover your injuries as you have said in an open forum you do not have the training to perform the dive in question.

Interesting question.. I've always had the preferred plan, which doesn't limit depth. I don't recall hearing / reading anything about the policy being voided because I dove below my certification level.
Did I miss some fine print?

Interesting question.. I've always had the preferred plan, which doesn't limit depth. I don't recall hearing / reading anything about the policy being voided because I dove below my certification level.

I said the "training" for the dive in question, nothing about depth. If you are "planning" a little tiny bit of recreational deco (I'm not sure if that is a real thing) and you end up getting yourself bent and you have no training in deco procedures, I would say DAN would say you were diving outside of your training. This would be akin to you deciding to do a nice 2hr CCR dive with no training and magically you die.

OP should not have agreed to the dive based on what he posted, and should not have done it if it had gone ahead.

There are a great many posters on here without the certs to back up the dives they do. Lack of formal tech training or a cert is no indicator of knowledge or experience. The OP has not indicated sufficient knowledge of the group of divers, their capabilities, or their dive history to properly judge whether they should have been doing the dive, only a certification level. The OP has offered only speculation as to planning and clearly stated he was making assumptions. He does not know.

Pretty scant facts to be condemning the group IMO..

My knowledge of DAN is very limited. My impression reading a lot about it on SB is that they would cover it. Don't know if DAN reads SB to search for diver clients going beyond their training "limits" or depths, or if it is relevant. Does anyone here know for sure if he would be covered or not?

So you are saying the total gas consumption would be 63 cu/ft? What did you use as the SAC rate on bottom and during DECO? Is this using VPM-B what conservative setting? Just having a hard time understanding the point. OP said they were not planning on using 80 AL.. I believe 12L tanks.

OP, I think you have the right idea get that training. DECO stops, ascent rates and gas changes are pretty important.
No I was only giving reference to the OP that the MGR minimum gas reserve for a 45 meter dive would be 63 cu/ft of gas. MGR is a volume of gas required for two divers to ascend from the bottom to the first available gas source or the surface , the plan assumes an emergency gas sharing scenario. I'm not sure how many cu/ft of gas is in a 12L tank I do know an AL80 hold 77 cu/ft so you can see my concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom