planing a trip to thailand december 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, we are planing a trip to thailand for this x-mas with few friends. My wife and I are already certified diver (rescu) for a while, but my 3 friends would like to get there Padi open water in Phuket, Ko Toa ou Phi Phi once we will be there. Do you have any advice ?

I wish we could see some whalesharks, were is the best place to see them during this time of the years ? any liveaboard suggestion ?

we will be in thailand for 2 weeks and an other 2 weeks in bali (lombok, flores) for diving-surfing trip.

we never been there, so any tip is good

thanks

My advice is for your friends to get their certification at the first place you stop. That way you will have the option of diving wherever you are.

Regarding liveaboard suggestions, you should make sure your friends are certified before you jump on a liveaboard or they will not be able to enjoy all of the dive sites with you. The selection of liveaboard will depend a great deal on your budget. Keep in mind that the Christmas season may get busy, so book early.

My advice to your friends would be to get certified before they come to Thailand, then can get the maximum enjoyment from their holiday diving, when you are here for such a limited ammount of time why use that time training?
In december without doubt the best of the diving is to be had on the West (Andaman) of Thailand.
Also the indonesian islands offer some excellent diving opportunities.
Whale sharks are always 'pot luck', but again would say the Andaman sea would be the best oportunity.
Koh Tao, whilst offers probably the cheapest diving / training oportunities, also can be very busy and crowded particularly around christmas and lots of the diveboats are also crowded.
Good luck, hope you have a succesfull trip.

Open Water course your friends could do anywhere. As LK mentions, they could also consider doing it at home, or only do the theory or theory and poolwork at home to maximaize the vacation time. That option will be a bit more expensive though.

Liveaboards: plenty of options, really depends on what you're willing to spend, but look at trips of 4 days/4 nights (or longer) to Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. Those trips offer best value for money, and enough time to cover the distances relaxed.

Normally too early in the season for whalesharks, but you never know.

Lord Khram, don't you owe us a trip report?
Didn't actually get round to doing any diving, Had a great time though in Koh Lanta. Back home in Banamphur today. Maybe diving at samaesan next week if conditions improve.

Seriously, though, my wife and I are planning to go to Koh Lanta later this year. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on combining a couple's vacation with a day or two of diving for yours truly!

I have been there several times as I have a friend who stays on the island for extended periods. Very quiet chilled place, perfect for a couple, with regard to the diving obviously I am not as knowledgable as some that post on here but I have always enjoyed. Generally I have dived from my friends private boat but once used Lanta divers who looked after us well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom