plane crash in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Don't know if this is the place to put this or in non-scuba, but a medical airlift crashed into a BMW car dealership in Maui killing the pilot and both nurses on board. They hadn't picked up their patient yet.

ch0ppersrule:
Don't know if this is the place to put this or in non-scuba, but a medical airlift crashed into a BMW car dealership in Maui killing the pilot and both nurses on board. They hadn't picked up their patient yet.

I didn't hear about it till now. I have a dive buddy that works as a flight nurse out of Honolulu and I really hope she wasn't working tonight. I tried to call her and she didn't answer, but I will try again first thing in the morning.

This is the story from kgmb9 / www.kgmb.com

Three Killed In Air Ambulance Crash
Lisa Kubota - Lkubota@kgmb9.com

A fiery plane crash has killed three people on Maui.

The plane, an air ambulance, was flying from Honolulu to Maui to pick up a patient when witnesses say it circled then slammed into a BMW dealership and exploded.

Three people were on board when the plane went down around 7:15 Wednesday evening.

Assistant chief flight nurse Brien P. Eisaman. The 37 year old was from Waipahu.
Honolulu base station supervisor, Marlena L. Yomes, 39, was from Wai'anae.
32-year-old pilot Peter A. Miller resided in Kailua.
No one survived.

Witnesses say the plane spiraled out of the sky, circling lower and lower before cartwheeling into the dealership.

Tonya Gerard says the Cessna hit her car just before it exploded.

"It clipped our car," Gerarad said. "My mother and myself, we felt the wing against the top of our roof. It somersaulted into the BWW dealership and then it exploded, and our car lifted."

"When we got to the dealership it was just too hot, there were just too many flames, we couldn't do nothing," said Kama Neizman. "What we ended up doing was running back cause a lot of the cars were starting to ignite in flames. So we crossed the street and as we got into the other parking lot, there was just a loud explosion. You could feel it from far away."

"There's a preliminary report that the pilot reported he might have had a stalled engine," said Scott Ishikawa, spokesperson from the Department of Transportation. "But that's kind of unconfirmed at this point, so we're just going to wait till we get more details in the morning and the federal authorities, FAA and NTSB will get involved because it involved a fatality."

No one on the ground was hurt. Eight or nine cars at the BMW dealership were seriously damaged.

Emergency crews closed all roads surrounding the triangle area, including Koloa, Hanakai, and Kele streets late into the night.

This is the second fatal incident for Hawai'i Air Ambulance. In 2004, fireman Joseph Danny Villiaros, paramedic Mandy Shiraki and pilot Ron Laubacher died when their plane went down just north of the Hilo forest reserve. The three were on their way to the Big Island to pick up a sick child when the plane disappeared.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

- ADVERTISEMENT -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom