Places to Dive in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I may have an opportunity to extend a business trip to Orlando the first week of December and get a day of diving in before I leave. I have not had the opportunity to dive Florida or do any real drift diving. I'd like to do something that is not too challenging but enjoyable either a reef or easier drift dive. I could fly into and out of Ft Lauderdale so that at least if I drive south after my meeting are done on Wednesday I could be a fairly easy drive on Friday or Saturday to fly out. My plan would be to dive Thursday.

It looks like Jupiter and WPB is about 2 - 2.5 hours away and are mostly drift dives. Key Largo looks to be about 5.5 hours from Orlando and is mostly reef diving.

Any recommendations for easier diving along the east coast? Or is it better to go further south to Key Largo?

Recommendations on dive ops?

Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale through West Palm is my recommendation. Plenty of easy drift dives on nice reefs. Lots of good ops, a quick search here on SB will turn up tons of info.

December can have some really nice or really wicked topside marine conditions. This last December was nice, I got out often but in prior years I have zilch entered in my log book for dives in December.

If you don't want to go all the way to the Keys, another shallow site alternative is the first reef line in Pompano. Several dive ops go there on a regular basis and while the dives can be done as drift dives, they usually are not. I think the east edge of the first reef line if one the prettiest reefs around. Underwater surge can be an issue in the winter if topside marine conditions are bad, but that would be true in Key Largo too. This wreck and the reef that surrond it are one of my favorite spots to dive when I'm in Pompano.

SS Copenhagen (shipwreck)--Florida Shipwrecks: 300 Years of Maritime History: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Dive ops I've used include South Florida Dive HQ, Scubatyme, Pompano Dive Center. Recently, I've spent more time on SFDHQ's boat when I do the shallow reef since they are near the inlet (short ride to the reefs), have two big and ugly but really stable boats and are very cost effective since I have my own gear. Pompano Dive Center has a better selection of rental gear and I hear their new boat is really nice. Scubatyme has unparalleled service.

Depending on your experience level and if you are nitrox certified or not, diving in Jupiter is very enjoyable. Most of the time, the drift is mild but occasionally can be roller coaster like, but that does not happen often. The winter usually has really good vis too. I go out with Jupiter Dive Center several times a month, year round, and think highly of the operation. Keep your eye on the marine conditions as your trip gets closer and if they're nice, Jupiter would be a very fun adventure where your likely to see goliath grouper, sharks, turtles, big eels, etc. etc.

Link to NOAA marine conditions site.... http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz650.txt

They're are a lot of other good dive boats up and down the east coast.

Hey guys thanks for the help. It looks like WPB may be a good option. What thickness wetsuit do you usually wear that time of year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys thanks for the help. It looks like WPB may be a good option. What thickness wetsuit do you usually wear that time of year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That falls under "Your Mileage May Vary." Me, I dove through the winter in my ratty, worn-to-hell 3-mil (more like a 1-mil now) with a 6.5-mil shorts/vest/hood overpiece. That was good for a 3-tank day, and I'm pretty lacking in built-in insulation. I've seen some folks crack out the 7-mils. Water temp tends to stay right in the 70-73 range.

Jupiter or West Palm would be your best bet; it's a shorter drive than the Keys and if you're comfortable with drift diving and 60 ft+ depth it beats the hell out of the Keys in terms of big critters. December should be when the lemon sharks roll in for their annual aggregation in that area.

...... I've seen some folks crack out the 7-mils. Water temp tends to stay right in the 70-73 range......

I'm a whimp and use a 7MM wetsuit and 3MM beanie in the winter. I just switched back to a 3MM wetsuit and 2MM vest in early May. I've seen folks dive in swim trunks only and still others that have 9 or 11MM of layered wetsuits during December: it all depends on your tolerance to the 70-73 degree water temps HalyconDaze noted.

I guess that will be a tweener for me. I am comfy in my 3mm in 80 degree water and wear my 7mm in 65 degree water. Maybe I'll take my 7mm and vent it to cool down. Its easier to cool down than to warm up.

I guess that will be a tweener for me. I am comfy in my 3mm in 80 degree water and wear my 7mm in 65 degree water. Maybe I'll take my 7mm and vent it to cool down. Its easier to cool down than to warm up.

In January I was spending ~8 hours a day snorkeling for a couple weeks running, and for that I drew out the full 2-piece semidry. For half a day of diving I didn't need that much padding.

As you said, it's easier to cool down than warm up. Late winter last year we had some crazy thermoclines that dropped bottom temps down into the high 60s; I saw those reports and brought out the heavy neoprene. Turns out that by the time I got out on the water it was 72 top to bottom and I was wearing a 2-piece semidry I bought for diving Puget Sound. I was definitely snuggy, but not overheated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom