Places to avoid in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pro tip: The only place to get the Roatan Harley Davidson shirt is in the Cruise Ship Straw Market at Mahogany Bay.

I can’t get in there as I’m not on a cruise ship but I’ve bought mine used (but clean from a pet-free, smoke-free home) on eBay.

I do not think that Roatan Harley sells motorcycles as the roads suck and the locals can barely afford to live there as the ‘cruise ship money’ only goes to the 1% you always hear about.
I always try to get my Harley T Shirt and Shot Glass wherever I go in the world..... Here's a pic I took of the old Harley shop on Bonaire back in 1995..

Reactions: Doc
The places to avoid have largely been covered, and are often very subjective.

The places to avoid have largely been covered, and are often very subjective.
I dunno.
Maybe anywhere there’s an HD T-shirt shop makes the list?

(been in this squatty status for years)

I dunno.
Maybe anywhere there’s an HD T-shirt shop makes the list?

(been in this squatty status for years)
Or hard rock... lol

Reactions: Doc
I personally would avoid Roatan.....not at all because of the quality of diving, but because of the horrendous conditions when not insulated in one of the resorts like Coco View or Anthony's Key. As long as you stay at the resort, everything is staged to be wonderful and harmonious and hunky dory..... But just take a trip into Coxen Hole to see the truth. You will see the filth and crime and crimes against animals and people that is totally hidden from the tourists. If you want to be murdered for your Iphone or your Rolex..... then just take an evening stroll into Coxen Hole.

Plus... the dolphin "experiences" are cruel in my personal opinion...
I was going to comment that I feel safer on Roatan than I do in Baltimore where I work, but instead I want to tell you about my first trip to Las Vegas. I was going for a work related conference so my boss booked a cheap shuttle from the airport to Fremont Street. My trip coincided with the Rock and Roll marathon which closed a bunch of streets. This meant that the shuttle went through a bunch of neighborhoods that most tourists never see. While these neighborhoods were not as bad as the worst of Coxen's Hole, I sure wouldn't have wanted to be there at night alone and I am sure that no tourists generally see these areas. It totally changed my experience of Las Vegas. Every large city in the US has areas like this.

As for the Dolphin and Shark "experiences" I personlly won't do business with anyone who does these things. This is easily accomplished in Roatan.

For me...Caribbean diving can be hit and miss. Best to do research prior to travel. Over the years some divers might complain that Caribbean reefs all start to look the same. I still think Cayman Brac is a good low tourist destination with good dive options on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. Bonaire was nice for the road access to diving. Turks and Caicos is comparable to the Bahamas.

I personally would avoid Roatan.....not at all because of the quality of diving, but because of the horrendous conditions when not insulated in one of the resorts like Coco View or Anthony's Key. As long as you stay at the resort, everything is staged to be wonderful and harmonious and hunky dory..... But just take a trip into Coxen Hole to see the truth. You will see the filth and crime and crimes against animals and people that is totally hidden from the tourists. If you want to be murdered for your Iphone or your Rolex..... then just take an evening stroll into Coxen Hole.

Plus... the dolphin "experiences" are cruel in my personal opinion...
I would strongly disagree with NW Dive Dawg. I spent a full week on my own in West Bay (Roatan) Sept 2021 and had a terrific time. I drove through Coxen Hole, but just to look around a bit. Coxen is a rough town, but the West End and West Bay are quite nice. It has amazing cheap diving, cheap food, hot weather, inexpensive lodging...it ticked all the boxes I needed. Flights are expensive, unfortunately.

….I spent a full week on my own in West Bay (Roatan)… and had a terrific time…but the West End and West Bay are quite nice.
I therefor know that you did not attempt to walk between West End and West Bay.

When we visit anyplace, it is hard to see things just to our left or right. Making a judgement based on the view through a windshield can limit your vision. Driving a rental car through Coxen Hole, even in daylight? Why would anyone do that? Nonsensical with no reward.

For others puzzling over the West Bay/West End walking path? It seems a simple way to be adventurous and skip a water taxi. Honestly, take the taxi. It is locally well known to be a very dangerous place, locals and tourists alike are on the menu.

In paradise, often the wolves are held at bay because they know where that invisible line has been drawn by the Police.

Tourists: stay where you belong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom