placement of lift bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

super opus:
on my steal back plate where would i safely place and mount my 55 lb lift bag??

I roll mine up and secure it to the bottom edge of my back plate with two bungee loops.

Pay a little attention to how you roll it, and how you orient the webbing yoke and hardware so when you pull it out it doesn't foul on the loops.

It's worked well for me.

Tobin

Ditto, two bungees on the bottom of the plate. Its a little yoga exercise to get it out but its mostly for emergencies anyway. As long as you're practiced you should be ok pulling it when its needed.

I guess I'm a little late but two bungees get my vote. As an alternative some people use a sleeve attached to the bottom of the backplate to slide the lift bag into. However, two bungees is a whole lot cheaper than the sleeve.

I have bungies on the bottom of the backplate for placing main lift bag. I also have sleeves zip tied to either side of the backplate where I can place two additional bags, depending on the dive. The back plate can be loosened and the sleeves tucked between it and the wing (sans the bags) when cave diving, or pulled out for lift bag placement when doing openwater/wreck diving.

Lift bags are clipped off to back plate when not in use, so that I can easily find them and then tug on the clips to quickly deploy bags.

I used the mesh bag from Dive-Rite that was designed to mount at the bottom of the plate. I have a spool dedicated to the lift bag and it is already tied to it. I have the spool hooked on my rear d-ring right next to the plate. If I need to deploy the bag, I unclip the spool and give it a tug and the bag comes right out. Not that speed is the most important aspect of deploying a lift bag, my best time with this setup is 14 secs to have the bag from my back on its way up with sufficent air in it. The other nice thing is if you desire to carry more than one bag or maybe an SMB, a second mesh bag can be added with the opening on the other side. Easy access to either bag and you don't even know they are there when you are diving. The Quick Draw Sleeve as they call it on the Dive Rite Express site is less than $12.00. I don't know that this even qualifies as to what is cheaper or not. Just find what works for you........

David

I've used methods described by previous responders: bottom of plate, side of plate.

The advantage of bottom is that it's accessible by either hand. The advantage of side of tank is that, for me, it was easier to pull the bag down and out from the side of the tank.

In either case, make certain you can actually extract the bag.

Green_Manelishi:
I've used methods described by previous responders: bottom of plate, side of plate.

The advantage of bottom is that it's accessible by either hand. The advantage of side of tank is that, for me, it was easier to pull the bag down and out from the side of the tank.

In either case, make certain you can actually extract the bag.

Basically ditto for me....twice I could not extract one bag mounted horizontal to the bottom of my BP. I have never had a problem with verticle sleeves so I stuck with that.

--Matt

I have a Halcyon MC pack on my backplate and store the bag in that. It is completely out of the way and easy to retrieve. When I carry a second bag, I store it in my right bellows pocket on my drysuit. I had trouble extracting a bag from the bungee loops below the plate when I tried it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom