place for checkout dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrottheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
hi all...was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a place that did PADI referrals in the austin area...wife and I have a choice, either go to Dutch Springs in PA for the check out dives (brrrr) or someplace warmer, and with relatives in the Austin area, it'd be an excuse to come out and see them...

In the Austin area, we usually dive at Lake Travis. If you check out our thread on Favorite Dive Sites in the state, you should be able to find a link to it. In the next few weeks or so, the water there should be getting really warm. If you want to do a Google search, look up either Lake Travis or Lower Colorado River Authority.

Hope this helps....

Dutch Springs really is a great place to do some checkout dives. I used to teach classes up there prior to moving down to Texas. There is a lot to see and in recent years the visibility has been excellent.

Jersey has some of the best diving in the country, my suggestion would be to give your checkout dives a shot at Dutch Springs. You will probably find that given proper exposure protection, the cold isnt bad at all. Starting your dives in colder water will also make you more open to diving some of the sites near your home. Texas is a wonderful state, but why travel half-way across the country when so much great diving is just outside your door.

Perhaps you could use some of the money you saved on travel to Texas for some dive gear, additional dive training, or some local dive trips.

cdtgray,
I just got a message from the TravelTexas tourism board.....they told me to tell you you're fired....LOL :)

:lol3: :rofl:

njdiver95:
hi all...was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a place that did PADI referrals in the austin area...wife and I have a choice, either go to Dutch Springs in PA for the check out dives (brrrr) or someplace warmer, and with relatives in the Austin area, it'd be an excuse to come out and see them...

I dove Lake Travis yesterday afternoon at Windy Point. Temp was 78.87 at the surface and 73.37 down to 63 feet. Vis was ten feet to less due to a group of divers in front of us at the park. Mansfield Dam Scuba Park, across the lake, in my opinion tends to have a little better vis but that is mainly due to not as many people but it is a little more effort to get to the water due to the hills and steps. I am familiar with two shops but Austin has several highly recommended LDS's. Dive World 1 and 2 on Hwy 620, near the Lake, www.diveworldaustin.com and Tom's Swim and Dive on Burnet Road, www.tomsscuba.com are both good shops. Dive World is a 5 Star Padi and I think Tom's is also but I know that do SSI.
Windy Point has several platforms for training and boats, jetskis, shark and turtles for exploration and navigation.
When you come down, make your relatives take you to the Oasis for sunset, on Lake Travis and no I don't live in the house next door. Salt Lick BBQ is the "go to" BBQ in Austin but if you really want good BBQ drive up to Llano to Cooper's. If you are into the bar/music scene then you have to do Sixth St. Just remember one thing about Austin. There is Texas and there is Austin. Both are very different.
Just don't come down here and "youse guys". It's YA'LL and when you get ready to go to the lake or anywhere, It's "Fixin to".
Come on down....but leave, we have too many **** Yankee's here now. :eyebrow:

I'll have to remember to bring my English to Texan dictionary along for the trip :eyebrow:

AggieDad, have no fear, when this Yankee turns carpetbagger, i'm heading to Florida...
and yes, i love great BBQ...we'll have to check out those places when we get there. We'd also like to go out, OOOPS FIXIN' to go out (damn this is going to take some practice), so see more of Texas than just the city..

Just thought that it would be nice to see the relatives and have a built-in babysitter, not a treat that we get too often, to give us the freedom to dive and all...thanks again for the info!

God Bless Texas! :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom