Pixtreme washout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A while back I bought some stuff which included a Pixtreme camera with housing. I took it on a night dive and took some pictures of lobsters, fish, etc. The majority of the pictures were a white washout with just the outlines of the different animals visible. Of course I used the flash. So tell me what happened and what to do to rectify this. I used the camera to take some pictures above water on the boat and they came out very nice considering the cheap camera. Thanks in advance.

A little more info, please. Obviously too much flash. You can use a diffuser for an internal flash. It doesn't sound like you are using a strobe, but??

Yep. Too much flash. I've been investigating this camera and there are lense and diffusers for it which sell very cheaply. I've ordered one of the kits. Thanks guy.

Are you able to adjust your camera's settings at all? at first thought I would recomend setting the ISO to something lower with that much washout. Try ISO 100 or 64. Also a lot of cameras have an exposure compensation adjustment, you would adjust the EC to the - side. Lastly if possible the F stop should be reduced.
Underwater cameras don't perform the same as topside due to waters light absorption characteristics your camera will adjust its settings based on how much light is reaching the sensor then you hit it with flash and overwhelm the automatic settings. This is why it is recommended that manual adjustments are used underwater.

The other question is, since it was a night dive, what are you doing for focus light. Are you using something that is sync'd to turn off as your flash fires or just keeping a dive light on the subject as you take the picture?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom