Pit bull coming at me, owner screaming "Vicious NO"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got chased out of the water one time by HammerHead sharks that year in P.I. as well.
Very cool!
Sems a large school of them came in for tide change lunch just as we were fixxing to go on a late day 2nd dive,
We decided to stay in the boat and enjoy the feeding frenzy from afar.

Lisa:
Get a blow dart gun at the local sporting good store.
I have one,
Get the flat tip darts, wont really hurt the cat, but its great fun to watch him jump 6 feet in the air when a blow dart wacks him in the ***.
hahahhhahahhahhahahhahahahahhahahhahahh!!!
after about 4-5 dart wacks, he will start sleeping on someone elses car.
And the blow dart gun will help you to build up your lung capacity as well.
Win-Win situation!
You kids will love it, you'll probably never get to use it on that cat.

Don't hate the breed. Hate stupid owners who treat their pets like children. Dogs are ANIMALS, not human beings. They want and need discipline, and if you don't show them who's boss, they will take the leadership position.

Children want and need discipline too ya know. Believe me, I have 2 boys :D

oops, that's an old thread isn't it??

I don't hate any breed, just like I don't hate any race.

If a white guy comes at me with a gun, and I can, I'm going to maim him in such a way that he poses no threat to me.

If a black guy comes at me with a gun, and I can, I'm going to maim him in such a way that he poses no threat to me.

If a labrador comes at me with intent to hurt, and I can, I'm going to maim it in such a way that it poses no threat to me.

If a pit bull comes at me with intent to hurt, and I can, I'm going to maim it in such a way that it poses no threat to me.

A buddy of mine carries a knife with him. If a dog charged at him, he'd pull it, and stab at the heart. If a dog came towards me, I'd kick it. If I succeeded in keeping it from hurting me, I'd keep kicking it until it gave up, or I fell over and it did hurt me....

On campus here, we have very aggressive squirrels. Theywill litereally jump on people to get at their food. If a squirrel is running towards me and it looks like it wants what I have, I kick. :) Squirrel ball. If a squirrel is just chilling there, I leave it alone.

I love animals, I really do, but I love me more. Any time any one or thing acts like it is going to harm me, I will not show it any mercy on purpose. But I also wouldn't go out of my way to get rid of animals before they pose a threat--I'm not pro-elimination of the pit bull breed. I am pro-elimination of aggressive animals. :)

Aggressive animals have their place.

Breeds are breeds in the first place because they have been bred for various JOBS.

If you have a junkyard in south central, you don't expect a lab to guard it.

This "everything is equal" brainwashing number makes me laugh.. try teaching a Pit Bull to herd cows, it won't happen. Just like some breeds are not going to fight, even if Michael Vick adopts them.

Im pretty sure *fundamental nature* is a biology term. The notion that only physical traits are inherited and not behavioral characteristics is just wrong.

It is not so much about "hating" a breed as it is finding a good fit for the role they will play. Certain breeds, like those meant to guard and protect flocks will be a better choice for children, IMO.

If a pit bull comes at me with intent to hurt, and I can, I'm going to maim it in such a way that it poses no threat to me.
yea, what about your kids and the neighbor hood Pit who finally slips the collar or jumps a fence?

Aggressive animals have their place.

Breeds are breeds in the first place because they have been bred for various JOBS.

If you have a junkyard in south central, you don't expect a lab to guard it.

This "everything is equal" brainwashing number makes me laugh.. try teaching a Pit Bull to herd cows, it won't happen. Just like some breeds are not going to fight, even if Michael Vick adopts them.

Im pretty sure *fundamental nature* is a biology term. The notion that only physical traits are inherited and not behavioral characteristics is just wrong.

It is not so much about "hating" a breed as it is finding a good fit for the role they will play. Certain breeds, like those meant to guard and protect flocks will be a better choice for children, IMO.

yea, what about your kids and the neighbor hood Pit who finally slips the collar or jumps a fence?

I think one of the concepts that you keep skipping over in your argument, Catherine, is that dogs are instinctually pack animals dating back long before man ever had a hand in the breeding process! Dogs will revert to pack behavior if left in the midst of a pack. That's the ENTIRE concept behind the whole Cesar Milan theory. That is why he keeps stressing the whole "Power of the Pack" tagline.

When you speak of a dog that tends to be a "herder", man has created for those dogs an extension of their instinctual behavior that pre-dates man's intervention. You've just redefined the pack and positively reinforced the animal's behavor to naturally protect it.

I think if one were to really look at the number of Pit Bulls culled from the process of trying to create dogs that want to fight and counted the numbers, I think we'd'd find a very large number are washouts toward the desired end result as opposed to those herding dogs who just don't get the concept of being a herder. Yes, the whole process of breeding and fighting dogs tends to have a greater survival of the fittest concept, but I don't think it is as heavily ingrained instinctually in the animal as the desire to protect its pack.

well, I agree completely with Cesar's method and originally learned to be alpha from a horse trainer.

Things like not letting the horse pass through a doorway first, grab food, etc. With an animal that big, the domination must be mental, not physical, and it is built continuously in even the smallest increments.

The real relevance to the pack theory with dogs has to do with the hierarchy and making sure you never let them think they rate above you or especially your children, which is why he has the kids be "the giver of food" as opposed to allowing them to "free feed". You are supposed to make a big production of the fact that you are providing the food, and they they are made dependant and reliant on you, which, in their world, translates directly to respect and submission.

I just don't think carrying a knife and stabbing any dog who gets aggressive is the best plan. Although, in Bali I was chased by a pack of feral dogs onto the roof of a car. Moral of story: don't jog at 4 am.

But you know, sometimes life just has to get practical. Would you let your three year old have a play date at somebody's house who had a Pit Bull? I wouldn't. But then raising/ protecting children is very intuitive, like you might not let them go if the man in the house "seems funny" either....has tattooes on his face or curtains on his van..or a whole host of things that you might notice.

I am all about making snap judgements when it comes to survival. Pit Bulls just don't usually pass my gut check. I know there are some very good ones, but I prefer to stack the deck and avoid them usually.

Especially after seeing lots of the Dog Whisperer, I wouldn't let my 3 yr. old (assuming I had one) have a play date at the house of any dog owner whose pet I didn't know and trust. I know I wouldn't let my child have a play date at the home of most chihuahuas I've known, as well!

Remember that case where they transplanted someone else's face onto the face of the lady whose dog chewed it off? A couple of years ago. Interesting to note that her dog was a Lab!

And I agree that running around stabbing aggressive dogs is not really a good plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom