Pit bull coming at me, owner screaming "Vicious NO"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My yellow lab Katie and I were on the local bike path, I was rollerblading and she was running along on her leash. The bike path isn't terribly long in that area so Katie and I go back and forth a few times until she's tired. We were coming back from the far end and I said "On your right" as we passed two teenage girls and their Pit Bull. The dog started snarling and lunging and I saw out of the corner of my eye that they were having trouble controlling it as it tried to come after Katie and I. We passed my husband and our old dog Amber and continued to the parking area. I didn't want to run into that pit bull again so we hung around the parking area for a while before heading back down the trail. I was hoping the girls were local and had turned and gone back the way they had come since I had not passed them on the first 3 trips down the path. Unfortunately I was wrong and after slowing for a blind curve came upon them again and the dog went crazy but this time it got loose. The girls were screaming "VICIOUS! NO!, VICIOUS! NO!" and I'm wondering if that's the dogs name (stupid name for a Pit Bull if you want to keep it) or if they are trying to warn me about his temperament as I stopped to deal with their attacking dog. I ran off into the mud to stop as the pit bull (an intact male and maybe 60 pounds) jumped on Katie. He wasn't biting her, yet, and I was reeling in the leash to bring them to me since I couldn't safely leave the mud and deal with the dog without falling. He was clearly trying to dominate her by mounting and after the third attempt she told him in no uncertain terms who the dominant dog was and he gave up on her and came for me. I assumed a position that would allow me to keep my feet and subdue the dog when he got to me (the wrist guards were going to be tested) but luckily the owner tackled him about a foot from me. She didn't have the leash or collar, the other girl was holding that and running toward us, but the owner sat on the dog and covered his eyes and yelled, "Go, just go NOW PLEASE!" I was ticked but didn't see any reason to risk getting my dog hurt so we went on our way. I met my husband down the trail and we stayed at our old dog's pace as we headed toward the truck. Luckily the girls had gone on their way before we arrived at the parking lot.

I was pretty ticked off, what kind of an idiot takes a dog like that out in public? I'm not afraid of dogs and this one certainly didn't scare me but I was concerned for my dog's safety. I suspect if Katie had been male the pit bull would have been more inclined to use his teeth. I certainly didn't appreciate him coming after me and that girl was fixing to be minus a dog. I never even thought to call the cops even though I had my phone. I doubt they could have gotten there fast enough to take possession of the dog, the girls would have been long gone if they knew I had called. This dog had serious issues, I've met a number of Pit Bulls that were great dogs but this wasn't one of them.
End Rant.
Ber :lilbunny:

I really don't like those dogs. Even their big 'ol ugly drooling faces bug me. And those JAWS! I love dogs but I have just seen too many toddlers malled to death on the evening news by the family "pet" to have any respect for them. Honestly, when I see someone with a pit bull, I assume they are an idiot, until proven otherwise. Maybe there are some good ones, but I would still feel better carrying a bat around them.
I don't like it when people cannot control their animals. So many people don't get the whole hierarchical thing. if you are not prepared to be alpha, don't get a big dog.---or a little dog for that matter. Every morning I watch these few older people in my neighborhood getting dragged around by these Dobermans, or whatever. Give me a riding crop and I could fix them in one day.

Glad you are okay!

wow, Ber... what a story

you know, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. sounds like you were in
the precense of one such. too bad for the dog.

how would you have handled it if the dog had come for you?

are pit bulls really more dangerous than any other dog?

there are no bad dogs? Well, I can tell you that breeds do what they are bred to do to a big degree. My dog has never herded sheep but he herds us all day long. Watches everyone, splits the distance to lie down, counts kids in the morning. Why? He did not learn that from me, and he does not know any sheep. Pit Bulls have been bred to fight. And here in Hawaii they do fight, for money.

I could never be convinced that all breeds are the same and there are no bad dogs. I agree that owners cause MOST of the problems. But a lot of really dumb mean people get Pit Bulls, largely to keep cops and neighbors out of their business. They chain them in their yards. Put a person like that together with that breed and you have a disaster. I bet Australian Shepards have not killed a little kid from their own family in the history of this country.

Okay, enough from me.

Was the pit bull on or off the collar/leash?

I see this scenario occassionally played out on my favorite workout trail. It meanders up a modest creek canyon for a mile or so and is clearly marked with city ordinance concerning dogs and leashes yet it's ignored at least 99 percent of the time.

Glad you're OK. Scared of dogs or not, talk about task loading!

Sea ya!

catherine96821:
I really don't like those dogs. Even their big 'ol ugly drooling faces bug me. And those JAWS! I love dogs but I have just seen too many toddlers malled to death on the evening news by the family "pet" to have any respect for them. Honestly, when I see someone with a pit bull, I assume they are an idiot, until proven otherwise. Maybe there are some good ones, but I would still feel better carrying a bat around them.
I don't like it when people cannot control their animals. So many people don't get the whole hierarchical thing. if you are not prepared to be alpha, don't get a big dog.---or a little dog for that matter. Every morning I watch these few older people in my neighborhood getting dragged around by these Dobermans, or whatever. Give me a riding crop and I could fix them in one day.

Glad you are okay!

All the pitbulls that I've known have been extremely smart and incredibly sweet. I haven't run into the viscious ill-tempered ones...

Rotties on the other hand, I'm only slowly getting used to. They're all a little bit big and stupid, and I've definitely come across some viscious and ill-tempered ones that freaked me out...

Don't hate the breed. Hate stupid owners who treat their pets like children. Dogs are ANIMALS, not human beings. They want and need discipline, and if you don't show them who's boss, they will take the leadership position.

Cesar Millan is my hero.

If I remember right they have lock bites. If they bite they will rip out hunks before they can open their mouths....it would not have been pretty. Glad you got away as you did and no, a dog like that should not be taken out in public without a muzzle...I also think if you can't handle a dog, it is not the dog for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom