Pit bull coming at me, owner screaming "Vicious NO"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Pit Bulls have been bred to fight. And here in
Hawaii they do fight, for money. Okay, enough from me.

not quite... there isn't even a dog called a pit bull... there's a few breeds
that get lumped in... anyway...

the "pit bulls" of today (of the past 100 years, in fact) have not been bred
to fight.

did you know in the UK they are called "nanny dogs" because they are so good
with children?

some people do fight their dogs. again, that's not the dog. that's the owner.

yes, there are no bad dogs. there are bad owners.

justleesa:
If I remember right they have lock bites.

nope ...

popular (and widespread) misconception

eyebrow

The wrist guard with the metal plate was getting jammed in his mouth as hard as I could, he was only a foot away and I was already in position to place it. Get him on the ground on his back and lay on him to pin him with that metal plate choking him. He submitted to Katie so once I had him in a submissive position he may have submitted to me also. I hate to do more damage than is necessary, I could have permanently injured or killed him if needed.
Ber :lilbunny:

wow... very impressive

Well, Andy I see a lot of ice heads with Pit Bulls chained around their compounds so maybe we have a different gene pool here.

In SoCal when I go into the BAD neighborhoods where drugs were rampant, same thing.

I don't see myself getting all PC about Pit Bulls. Certainly there are exceptions, but certain types of people are attracted to certain types of dogs, IMO. When I see one, it goes on my radar.

maybe there isn't a breed called Pit Bull in your book. I know one when I see it.

I think if you talk to mail carriers, ambulance workers, cops and animal control you might change your view.

i have no idea what ice heads are, but i would warrant they are not
good owners

:wink:

You should be scared of those dogs, you can't predict what they are going to do next.......the Great White of dogs.

so, if i don't go diving where there are seals, i should be ok, right??

We have bred dogs to focus and optimize traits which were present in the original animal: herding, guarding, retrieving, etc. In each breed, there are instincts which are heightened and behavioral characteristics which can be predicted. I used to raise, and still own, Dobermans. This is another breed that often enjoys a bad reputation for aggressiveness. In fact, Dobes are protective. Aggressive members of the breed are usually timid fear biters. Any dog in the show ring who shows any tendency toward this is immediately disqualified and should be culled from the breeding population. And a well brought-up Doberman is a lovely canine citizen -- intelligent, joyful, at worst aloof with strangers but usually friendly, and extremely obedient. A poorly raised Doberman is a nightmare -- big, strong, full of energy, destructive and annoying.

The group of breeds commonly referred to as pit bulls includes a lot of dogs that were bred for various sorts of fighting contests. Nevertheless, the vast majority of these dogs can be lovely animals and family pets . . . if individuals with strong aggressive tendencies are culled from the gene pool, and if the dogs are raised with consistent, fair discipline. All of the "pit bulls" I have met that belonged to reasonable people were reasonable dogs; the one which attacked me and knocked me down and went for my throat belonged to a decidedly low-life group of people, and had been encouraged in this behavior by them. It was not the fault of the dog.

Sorry you had this bad experience. Clearly the girls who had custody of this dog should not have handled it in public, as they did not have control of the animal. If they were also the owners and responsible for the dog's training, shame on them.

The most common dog referred to as a pit bull is an American Staffordshire Terrier (and the English cousin, the Staffordshire Terrrier). These dogs are lunkheads and tend to be very overbearing and dominant. With the right owner that takes the alpha position they are the sweetest dogs around. They won't listen to anyone they don't respect though, so it's not a dog that can be controlled by a neighbor or a friend. They're also not likely to take a submissive role when contacting another dog of the same sex which makes for "interesting" encounters with unleashed dogs. Muzzles are not necessary *IF* the dog is with a responsible owner.

I hate hearing about stupid stuff like this. There are dog breeds that are rather forgiving of poor ownership and breeds that aren't. Rottweilers and German Shepherds are a couple other examples of dogs that are not for beginner dog owners. The reason why drug dealers and other nefarious folk put these dogs out as guard dogs has a lot to do with the automatic fear response that people have when they see them. Couple that with some tactics that will turn any dog into a protective, aggressive and unsafe dog and you have a dog breed with a serious image problem.

Blame the owners, not the dogs.

Rachel

H2Andy:
so, if i don't go diving where there are seals, i should be ok, right??

No, if you avoid getting close to a pitbull, you should be ok.........:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom