Piston or diaphragm 1st stage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the last year I have now sold the last two diaphragm 1st stage regulators I had left, for the diving I now do, pistons will 'see me out'.
I have the parts [or know how to acquire them] and know how to service them.
All my regulators now are Scubapro or USD/Aqualung Conshelf [far too many of each] .
It's been piston for 90% of OC diving since 1968, just works for me [and keeps on working].
Never had a piston not supply gas when required.
This talk of "piston Vs diaphragm" never stops.:letsparty:
Edit: found an old Tabata and Sea Hornet as well, there is sure to be more pistons if I look hard enough.

A former poster here (who is now banned from SB) posted a video once that he took of himself on a dive. The diaphragm on his 1st stage blew out at 160’ and the video showed all the drama. At least he had a bail out pony bottle.

Go DD you overqualified for SB diver you! Is that a thing or a card "Overqualified Diver!"

Go DD you overqualified for SB diver you! Is that a thing or a card "Overqualified Diver!"
I do remember that video, can't remember on this site or another, thanks for posting that mate.o_O

This talk of "piston Vs diaphragm" never stops.:letsparty:
and here I go making your statement true :wink:

I got to thinking about this question last night, and went searching for a recent thread. I was just curious about thought of others. I've owned both types but my primary regulator since my open water cert was a US Divers SEA diaphragm. I've dove it down to 240ft and in cold water down to around 40°F. Never a problem. (knock on wood)
The only piston reg I owned was a cheap thing used on a pony bottle an it only lasted a short time...corrosion killed it.
Given my experience I'm very partial to diaphragm designs and would likely even consider looking for a sealed diaphragm if I buy another.... just as belt and suspenders....But I do know that there are many piston regs that are considered bullet proof. That's why I went searching for this question.

I haven't watched that scuba failure video yet but will as soon as I get some time later today.

Brings a question in mind though.

How many of you have 1st hand knowledge (happened to you or you witnessed with your eyes) of an actual regulator failure in a dive and what kind of reg was it? I mean like an emergency end the dive NOW kind of failure....not just a poorly adjusted octo that was free flowing a little too much on a shallow dive when turned upside down...(I know that should cut the dive short too, but that's more of an annoyance.... I mean like a busted diaphragm or other failed or clogged part....)

I mean like a busted diaphragm or other failed or clogged part....)
My son had a clogged filter on his Scubapro MK5, due to rust inside a steel tank (rented). The filter was so clogged that the air flow was truly minimal, it was enough for surfacing, but the reg was entirely out of service and I had to service it carefully for removing all that rust powder from inside it (despite the filter, and due to the high pressure, some of the rust passed and was inside 1st stage, hoses and 2nd stage - It even caused damage in the power inflator of the BCD).
The only problems I had myself was O-ring extrusion with yoke mounts.
And this prompted me to convert my MK5 and MK10 to DIN.

Over the last year I have now sold the last two diaphragm 1st stage regulators I had left, for the diving I now do, pistons will 'see me out'.
All my regulators now are Scubapro or USD/Aqualung Conshelf [far too many of each] .
It's been piston for 90% of OC diving since 1968, just works for me [and keeps on working
Conshelf are diaphragm regs. Did you mean Calypso?

Conshelf are diaphragm regs. Did you mean Calypso?
You are correct, and this an old post.
How things have changed, my main 1st stages are now Mk19 DIN , I know, sealed diaphragms. :surrender:
Still have the Mk25 DIN and Mk 10s Yoke.
Never say never, and I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom