Pioneer Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the "proper" horizontal position, the tail dump is going to be the most effective and require the fewest body contortions to vent. If you're vertical, then you may as well use the inflator dump, but ya, the Air-2 would be a PITA.

The tip on encircling the dump to find the string works, and it's pretty easy to get used to (couple of dives and I had it nailed), but it can be improved without reverting to the "bolo ball".

Remove the dump valve.
Peel the rubber seal off of the face.
Clean all of the white adhesive.
Remove the original string.
Cut a piece of heavier cave line a comparable length.
Carefully drill both the outer cover and the "valve" to clear the cave line. Err on the small side... this is the point of no return.
Thread the cave line through the center valve, spring, and outer cover. Tie knots in each end, burn, then color black with a Sharpie.
Replace the rubber seal... I used Aquaseal/Aquasure (NOT A LOT), reassembled the valve, and fully inflated the wing to keep even pressure on the rubber while the Aquaseal cured.

If you elect to use Cotol, be VERY careful... don't use too much. The plastic that the valve is made from is attacked by the stuff.
Use alcohol to remove the original glue, and deal with the Aquaseal 36-hour cure time.

MechDiver once bubbled...

So, because it costs too much to buy a Cadilliac and convert it to a Chevy, you buy the Chevy?

I guess there's logic there somewhere.

MD

Actually, I drive a '94 Honda Civic. It's not as impressive as my neighbors Lexus, but it does everything I need it to do at a lot less cost. From my experience, most people who drive a Cadilliac (I hope you spelled it "rite" because I can't) are just looking to impress somebody.

awap once bubbled...

Actually, I drive a '94 Honda Civic. It's not as impressive as my neighbors Lexus, but it does everything I need it to do at a lot less cost. From my experience, most people who drive a Cadilliac (I hope you spelled it "rite" because I can't) are just looking to impress somebody.

You missed my point, but that's fine.

Actually, now that you pointed it out, I added an extra "i". Should have checked my key for correct spelling :)

Safe diving
MD

You missed my point, but that's fine.

Actually, now that you pointed it out, I added an extra "i". Should have checked my key for correct spelling :)

Safe diving
MD

I don't think I missed the point & I really can't spell worth a damn.

Adding a pull dump and longer corrugated hose to a poineer wing does not destroy what is viewed by many as the best wing available. It just makes it a non-DIR configuaration. If that is what meets someones needs for the type diving they do, what's the problem.

awap once bubbled...

Adding a pull dump and longer corrugated hose to a poineer wing does not destroy what is viewed by many as the best wing available. It just makes it a non-DIR configuaration. If that is what meets someones needs for the type diving they do, what's the problem.

I thought we were talking about cars:confused: Geez awap, try and stay on topic okay:wink:

If you just *got* to discuss this dive stuff, my point on the Pioneer was if you buy it, then replace half of it with, lets say "other stuff", then why buy it to begin with?

I thought we were talking about cars:confused: Geez awap, try and stay on topic okay:wink:

If you just *got* to discuss this dive stuff, my point on the Pioneer was if you buy it, then replace half of it with, lets say "other stuff", then why buy it to begin with?

Yes, I agree. That's why, after pricing the 27 lb pioneer to put on a BP, I ended up building my own BP and going with the dive rite travel wing.

Why does it specify to color the string black? Is that a dir issue? I would think that a contrasting color might be an improvement.
Rice

rule #6 - Gotta look good under the water :mean: Seariously, if you do the modification, you don't need to color the string.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom