Pioneer Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I just brought home my Pioneer Wing (36#), and plan to use it with a new FredT BP. Inspecting it, the first thing I notice is that it doesn't appear to have a dump valve on the shoulder. The only way to dump is either from the power inflator end, or the bottom valve. What's the logic with this, and should there be any problem using an integrated octo with this set-up? Thanks.

Scott

tampascott once bubbled...
I just brought home my Pioneer Wing (36#), and plan to use it with a new FredT BP. Inspecting it, the first thing I notice is that it doesn't appear to have a dump valve on the shoulder. The only way to dump is either from the power inflator end, or the bottom valve. What's the logic with this, and should there be any problem using an integrated octo with this set-up? Thanks.

Scott

The idea is to keep it simple.Less valves mean less chance for a failure.Having no shoulder dump means it is gonna be hard to use with an integrated octo/inflator.If your donating your primary reg and breathing off of your inflator/octo set up it is gonna be hard to dump air without taking it out of your mouth or dumping from the bottom valve.

Im not preaching dir but a bungeed secondary reg on a 22-24" hose would be a better choice while leaving the standard inflator/deflator in place.If an out of air situation hapens you donate your primary reg and breathe off of your secondary reg and have the inflator/deflator free to do its job. This also where the long 7' hose comes into play giving you room in an out of air situation.

Thanks. I figured using an air-2 on a bp/wing wouldn't work. Guess I've avoided the bungeed necklace long enough. :D

I won't comment on the air2 but practice using the rear dump. Encircle the dump with index finger and thumb in an OK... then close the OK and the string will be in your grasp. When using this dump take care not to dump too much/too fast.... you have finer control with the inflator hose dump IMO... but the rear dump is worth getting used to.

I was going to point that out as a second oddity I noticed (the lack of a small handle or plastic ball on the lower dump valve cord). When I first looked at it, I figured it had fallen off or something, then I was told it was viewed by Halcyon as a snag hazzard. Then my thought was that there is also a hazard of not being able to dump air when you need to because you can't locate the string. Thanks for the suggestion on that. I'll give it a whirl.

As far as air-2, that's one of the few things in diving that I go back and forth on, and just can't make up my mind. If it came down to air-2, or having the octo hanging to the side or clipped to a d-ring, I would use the air-2. It's just too big a snagging problem in these places when spearing. On the other hand, the bungeed necklace looks like it keeps things snag-free, while also accomplishing the major benefit of an air-2: knowing where it is at all time.

The string can be located easily with a little practice. The pull dump isn't desired because some of us think it's a bad idea to be pulling on the inflator hose.

Yea that pesky little string on the lower dump took me a while to get used to after having my Scubapro Knighthawk with a big ol plastic knob.I do it the way Pug describes and have no problems finding it now.

My knighthawk is equipped with an AIR2.I think your gonna like the bungeed secondary reg.You will really appreciate it when you practice your out of air situations.If you ever get a chance try out a long hose(5'-7') depending on what you want.I always managed to practice out of air situations with the air2 but man was it a pain especially if you try to do a safety stop.Hard to do when your all up in each others face holding on to one another and trying to dump air via your shoulder dump to maintain a controlled ascent or a safety stop all the while watching your gauges.The bungeed second and long primary makes it so much easier giving each person room to vent air and maintain a controlled ascent or safety stop and keep an eye on your gauges.

tampascott once bubbled...

As far as air-2, that's one of the few things in diving that I go back and forth on, and just can't make up my mind. If it came down to air-2, or having the octo hanging to the side or clipped to a d-ring, I would use the air-2. It's just too big a snagging problem in these places when spearing. On the other hand, the bungeed necklace looks like it keeps things snag-free, while also accomplishing the major benefit of an air-2: knowing where it is at all time.

I dove Air2s for a number of years on my Scubapro BCs. Go to the necklaced second, you won't miss the Air2 :D

MD

Necklaced second is much better than dangling octo - but I kept my air2 also. The necklaced second is on a pony that I only use for part of my diving.

The elbow can be swapped out for a dump valve if you would like. You may also have to install a longer corrugated hose for the air2. Those features and the diff in cost convinced me to go with a dive rite wing rather than the Halcyon.

awap once bubbled...
Necklaced second is much better than dangling octo - but I kept my air2 also. The necklaced second is on a pony that I only use for part of my diving.

The elbow can be swapped out for a dump valve if you would like. You may also have to install a longer corrugated hose for the air2. Those features and the diff in cost convinced me to go with a dive rite wing rather than the Halcyon.

So, because it costs too much to buy a Cadilliac and convert it to a Chevy, you buy the Chevy?

I guess there's logic there somewhere.

MD

Back
Top Bottom