Pioneer 36 and builtin STA????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buds

Registered
Reaction score
I was courious of what people thought about the pioneer 36 (Halcyon) Wing with built in sta. How stable is this?? Anyone own one or ever try it??.. and arent pioneers Single bladder??

thanks

It's perfectly stable. It's a single bladder for single tanks.

buds:
I was courious of what people thought about the pioneer 36 (Halcyon) Wing with built in sta. How stable is this?? Anyone own one or ever try it??.. and arent pioneers Single bladder??

thanks

buds,

There can be some confusion about "single bladder" and "redundant bladder" wings.

"Single Bladder" construction means that a single layer of Urethane coated nylon is welded to gether to form both the structual shell, and air tight layer of a wing or BC.

"Double Bladder" construction menas there is an inner air tight urethane bladder, and a seperate outer nylon shell. Double bladder wings don't really have two bladders, but have two seperate layers.

"Redundant Bladder" is a Double bladder type wing with two inner bladders, each with it's own inflator and OPV.

Regards,

Tobin

I've got a pioneer 36 wing. If you have the tank straps torqued nice and tight it's plenty stable. I've also used mine with a separate stainless STA and the only noticeable difference I found was that using a separate STA sets the tank a little farther away. Not a big deal. Using the Halcyon stainless steel STA can be a bit of problem if you are using shorter tanks like 95's or 119's though. The reason being that the slots cut into the STA are spaced farther apart than the slots cut into the backplate. The top cam band ends up right where the tank is starting curve up and I had problems with it slipping up over the dome. I ended up selling my STA to a buddy and now just use the wing without the separate STA.

No problem with a solid lock up using the built in STA on a Halcyon Pioneer... you don't even have to have the cambands super tight if you are using Halcyon Octogrip bands.

So what are "Octogrip Bands?" something new? I have not heard of them yet... and don't see anything on their site.

kidspot:
So what are "Octogrip Bands?" something new? I have not heard of them yet... and don't see anything on their site.
They're the bands that come standard with Halcyon single tank wings. They have a sticky rubber pad on the inside to help grip the tank.

jonnythan:
They're the bands that come standard with Halcyon single tank wings. They have a sticky rubber pad on the inside to help grip the tank.

Similar to this thing on my Oxycheq wing?

(I think I lost one. If anybody sees one at Ogden Point, Willis Point or any point in between, let me know.)

SeanQ:
Similar to this thing on my Oxycheq wing?

(I think I lost one. If anybody sees one at Ogden Point, Willis Point or any point in between, let me know.)
Kinda like that, but more professionally done. The pads are molded and sewn to the inside.

Back
Top Bottom